Home

Surprising findings about video game players

story.college.gaming.ap.jpge3teledahns.jpg

Left - a student at the University of Maine takes a gaming break.

Right - Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, perhaps the next big online experience for gamers.

Surprising findings about video game players

Study finds players are social multitaskers

Sunday, July 6, 2003 Posted: 9:03 PM EDT (0103 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Roughly two-thirds of college students play video games, but the image of a nerdy guy who spends all day in a dimly lit room blowing up computer-generated bad guys is off base, according to a new study.

College gamers are not necessarily male -- or anti-social hermits. And while about a third of those surveyed admitted playing computer games during class, the games generally don't conflict with their studies, says the researcher who conducted the survey for the Pew Internet & American Life Project.

...The survey also found that, while gaming has a reputation as a male-dominated pastime, women are avid game players, too.

Of those surveyed, 60 percent of women said they played online and computer software-based games, compared with 40 percent of men. About the same number of men and women said they played video games on PlayStation, Xbox and other systems.

That news pleased Sarah Fenton, who is finishing up a degree in game art and design at the Art Institute of Phoenix. She hopes to become a character designer for a video game company and is convinced that even more women would play video games if there were more characters geared toward them.

"I hope that we can bring a little equality to what's out there," she says.

full story, CNN.com

Pheuh! (that was a sigh of relief) For a second there I was worried that I may be a "nerdy guy who spends all day in a dimly lit room blowing up computer-generated bad guys". Last time I blew up a computer generated bad guy was that little smiley face on top of the Minesweeper field and that was several weeks ago... You know what... I think that I actually may be...

...may be...

...a CASUAL GAMER!

:zamn1: Persh the thought!

Originally posted by scabb

That's clearly a case of men completely lying, and maybe women thinking it's chic to be geek?

Online games meaning Insaniquarium and the like.

Kingz, it's interesting to note that, in my tiny little experience, I've found that most of the people interested in discussing/studying games are casual gamers. (95% with +/-300000.)

Hehe, i think the difference lies in the *amounth* of time they spend playing games. Sure, 60% women... but probably 40-50% of them only a few hours a week. On the other hand i think it's a safe bet all those 40% men are locked on computer games at least a few hours a day (and other 40% "casual" gamers didn't even bother saying they actually do play games ;) ).

Left - a student at the University of Maine takes a gaming break.

What is that, the University of Mean-And-Insane-Neurotic-Evildoers?! Seriously, I didn't think it was very good for you eyes to play in demonic-red light.

Well, bigjko, even photojournalists are entitled to a little bit of artistic license. I'm absolutely sure that student never games that way (I always leave my desk lamp on low when I game at night), but it does make for a dramatic little image, don't you think, darling? :cool:

I have three lamps in my room: one green, one blue, one red. Looks somewhat like that when only one is on. Works better in unison. You get cool shadows, too.

What the hell is wrong with me?! I can't seem to construct a fluid sentence! All these words - I use all of them way too often! They're not original enough, damnit... I think I'm gonna start talking in another language. Just until English begins to sound exotic again...

Hey, this is absolutely not true...

I object to this...

I've never played stuff like Insaniquarium ;) !

Yep, gamers are very sociable, the forums being a good example in my opinion.

By the way, I came across a recent survey which claims that US females are more interested in the internet and PC/video game playing than European females. Maybe this helps to explain the different figures...

Originally posted by Kingzjester

I have three lamps in my room: one green, one blue, one red. Looks somewhat like that when only one is on. Works better in unison. You get cool shadows, too.

What the hell is wrong with me?! I can't seem to construct a fluid sentence! All these words - I use all of them way too often! They're not original enough, damnit... I think I'm gonna start talking in another language. Just until English begins to sound exotic again...

You're beginning to talk like me muahahah

Originally posted by decibelio

By the way, I came across a recent survey which claims that US females are more interested in the internet and PC/video game playing than European females. Maybe this helps to explain the different figures...

interesting....

To be true in europe most gamers are males....dunno why...

(not talking about greece, some problems here :( , many people don't know how to use the keyboard....(ok not MANY, but enought :p )

Archived