Home

Seeking to appeal a closure

Zoom Rabbit

Okay, Neil...why did you close my thread over at the harbor?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104492

This is a humorous discussion thread of the type that I've been doing for the Lucasarts forum community since 1999. Without exception, these threads turn into fun and enjoyable discussions for many of us. I have yet to receive negative feedback or see one of these threads closed.

Until now. :(

Neil, whether you appreciate the relevance of the subject matter* or not, please recognize that I put some work into that poll, whose purpose was to provide a lively context for forum interaction. Bear in mind that there is a gray area here--one man's *spam* is another's idle conversation, and the forum in which I posted this thread was that reserved for off-topic discussions.

Now...I am the first to support the moderation team in their efforts to curtail idiotic kiddie-spam. Whenever someone runs retarded monkeysh*t up the flagpole and it gets shot down, I'm the first to applaud. I don't want to see idiotic crap waste space on the board any more than you guys do. ;)

So. Is the thread in question spam or is it off-topic discussion? This is the question that I would like considered. If the answer is off-topic discussion, I would humbly like to request that the thread be re-opened.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. :)

*The subject matter is monkeys, and the thread is at Monkey Island. That's about the most relevant I've ever been.

Originally posted by Zoom Rabbit

The subject matter is monkeys, and the thread is at Monkey Island. That's about the most relevant I've ever been.

It's true, and I'll vouch for that. :D

On any given day I see dozens of open threads in the Harbor that are full of inside jokes, border on personal conversations, laden with goofy polls, and fit the description of just general chit-chat. That's one the main reasons I like it there... it's a casual atmosphere. Some probably deserve to be closed, but never are.

Be that as it may; Zoomie's thread seems to me (and granted, since I consider myself a longtime friend of Mr. Rabbit, I can hardly be considered an impartial observer) no more egregious than the typical Harbor fare at worst.

It seemed to me like it could have gone somewhere fun, if given the chance. He has started threads in other forums that have gone on for multiple pages that touch on subjects never hinted in the initial question. The Swamp's "Has man landed on the Moon" thread ( http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103427 ) is my fave current incarnation of this example. Last I checked in we were dealing with quantum uncertainty principles, parallel universes, and time paradoxes. All with a humorous edge to it.

Sometimes you need to use a goofy premise to break the ice enough for folks to let thier guard down long enough to engage in some serious conversation.

But if threads get shut down before they ever stand a chance to blossom, how will we ever know?

Besides, in an "anything and everything" type forum, how serious and topical are the thread subjects supposed to be?

Apparently, this is the wrong forum as well. None of the Harbor mods have bothered to respond to this appeal, even though I PM'd five of them about it...

:rolleyes: Being ignored isn't any fun, either. Who must I PM to have this matter looked into?

None of the Harbor mods have bothered to respond to this appeal, even though I PM'd five of them about it...

Perhaps they have decided not to like you.

A 'super-mod' might be able to help too. Niner's one of them...

zoom.. how about restart a new poll..

:D :D :D

additional i have to say .. this thread wasnt needed to be closed, it was funny (thank you zoom for the constant raising mental level of your threads.. :p ) .. again it was a kill at will. proven by the polls result.

so be ashamed neil.. this was not nice.

*wears sticker 'please dont bann me'*

;)

Nitro: You sure do like to start sh*t, don'tcha? :D

Bringing a bunch of mods and supermods from other forums wouldn't be helpful, I think. This is a different bailiwick, and it wouldn't be...friendly. :) I want to resolve this with the Monkey Island moderation team, or at least attempt to before I go and PM and bunch of admins.

I can't think of a *personal* reason why Neil would've closed that thread. I haven't done anything to him that I'm aware of... :dozey:

My theory is that he just got carried away in the ever-present battle against spam we're seeing these days. Friendly fire in this case, though. Perhaps my transponder codes are fouled? ;)

:rolleyes:

I dashed my last post off in a hurry, and forgot all the signs I have to use so people don't take me so seriously all the time.

It should have read thus:

"Perhaps they have decided not to like you. ;)

A 'super-mod' might be able to help too. Niner's one of them... :D

(and finally, the topper, just in case anyone missed the implications of all the other ones...)

:joy: ( <-- This is the smiley I use when I'm pulling your leg.)

:dozey: This is the face I use when I'm...Hmm...what was the question?

No harm done, Ed. ;) Actually, their opinions are perfectly valid here in a feedback thread. Redwing has already weighed in. It would just be politically unwise for them to go and re-open the thread on their own...

As far as I know, Neil hasn't even seen this. His PM mailbox was full last I checked. I posted a message concerning it at the Harbor to flag his attention. :) I'm assuming he just hasn't been online yet.

Note: Yufster has publicly said that I'm on her 'retard list.' This means I'm good with you Harbor mods, right? Right? ;)

No harm done, Ed. ;) Actually, their opinions are perfectly valid here in a feedback thread. Redwing has already weighed in. It would just be politically unwise for them to go and re-open the thread on their own...

Yeah, I know... I was just playing along with Nitro's suggestion to "bring in the big guns!"

I wouldn't seriously expect anyone to overstep thier authority and reopen a thead in a forum that they don't normally visit.

And as far as the other thing goes: Who wouldn't like you? You're the Easter Bunny!

:joy:

Okay, so I only just found this.

First, I'll adress the problem at hand. I closed a thread which people here clearly think is suitable in the Harbor. The Harbor has gained a reputation for having threads on it which are, in the bests respects, spam. fine, this is it's home, this is what it's like here and i can respect that (remember, I was a Harborer long before most of you came along, i know what it was like and how it's changed.) My main worry here was that this seemed to be a little to 'spamtastic' for my liking. Again, i say my liking and see the eror of my ways as not everyone has my liking. Even still, i believe i have to do what i think it right for the forum, a lot of the senseless threads around here had an entertainment value to them, but i could not se one here. Feral re-opened the thread and i was not going into a big thing about closing and re openeing it over and over again, so I just left it at that and realised that a lot of yopu were actually enjoynig the thread so i didn't want to get in the way. Why it's closed now, i don't know, but right now, I'm not going to step on anybodys shoes opening it again.

Secondly Zoom, that moonlanding thread is a cheap rip of of a thread we had on here about a year ago (annoyingly started by mek, although, surprisingly, not involving religion in any way). But i guess you never saw it. I'll find it for you if you want, and you can refer to it in your own thread.

Thirdly (oh, there's a lot of these) you said you'd PMed 5 of our mods. Were any of them by any chance me? Only I don't rememebr getting a PM from you about this.

Fourthly... Nope, that was it. Have a nice day.

Why it's closed now is also beyond me. As are a lot lof threads over there. There are a lot of unhappy Harborites today, no doubt. :confused: A prank or retribution for us little forum members standing up for ourselves? I do hope it's the former, though I doubt it.

I tried to PM you, Neil. ;) First thing...but your mailbox is full.

About the moon-landing thread. :max: How can I rip off a thread I never knew existed? Besides, if you guys got into quantum theory in your thread, I'll personally strip naked and dance for bananas in town square...

Archived