Home

A whole new SWGB2

you'd like to hope for that. however a new system would most likely be too buggy for them to bother creating when they can already lease another games' engine. the game wont sell because of the engine it uses, the game will sell itself because it's StarWars.

No, the same system is great, what I meant with my post is for example, why have the same civilizations?

For instance, I would eliminate Tech levels. The progress on your civ could only be reached through technologies. To avoid people researching something to the max too fast could be to research some other techs, in order to be able to upgrade troops, for example.

I'd take a couple civs out: Naboo and Trade Federation. Naboo isn't a militarized society, so they were a little forced into the game.

TF could be included in the Confederacy now, so you would have both Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids.

Of the existing civs, I'd keep the Republic, the Confederacy, The Gungans, the Wookiees, the Empire and the Rebel Alliance.

Jedi shouldn't be mass produced. They should be rare super units. For example, you have a large amount of resources, you use those resources to ask for a couple of Jedi to the Council, after some time, the Jedi arrive, and they are really tough. For the Sith you could do something similar, but obviously not to a council, maybe making direct connection with the Sith Master. (of course for uniqueness matters, the Empire and the Confederacy could be Dark by default, with a chance to turn to the light side, with specific circumstances. )*

A good thing that could be implemented is an AoM and Black and White-ish feature: while you build you civ, you have to go making several choices through techs, which would lead you to become a Dark sided civilization or a light-sided, depending on that, Jedi or Sith would aid you... I don't know... stuff like that, while the general system stays the same could make the game easy, yet completely fresh.

PS: Imagine, I would love Dark Gungans!!!

*We could still work on this to perfect it, it's just a rough idea.

that sounds like a great game to be...

only problem is... if they cant make it...

as stated so many times before lucasarts is more of a buy engine add star wars company when they get good sales (i.e. jedi knight 2, star wars galactic battlegrounds). so why would they make a new one when they can just buy a better one in their eyes...?

Compa_Mighty: Tech levels is just a question of taste of type of gaming. For me I don,t care as long as it's well placed.

Naboo have their place and so does the trade fed. if you mixed them together you couldn't recreate say the battle for naboo. And you won,t have any AAT, MTT and STAPs.

Jedi thingy: Agreed

AoM Black and White: I'm sorry but I don't see how you can really choose your path in SWGB. With AoM it worked but that was because of the tech lvls and you want to get rid of them.

Through technologies lukeiamyourdad, there'll be a point where you have to choose between two techs in a building, and according to the one you choose, the other one is no longer available and takes further into the Dark or Light side.

I don't have examples right now, but let me think.

Sound strange I know, but it wpuld be an additional strategic thing, light and Dark would offer you different bonuses, and of course Jedi and Sith would work differently.

Anyway, nothing is completely good or completely bad, and it can easily change, one thing that could be done is that once that you chose one side of the Force you can't go back in the rest of the game.

Of course this system would have to be tweaked until perfected...

• 1 month later...

I agree with Compa you could work that except have instead of a god a leader like for empire you could pick from three they could be the emporer grand admiral thrawn and general veers. For each one you could have different abilities structures units and technologies. I've already posted more of this on another thread and have the feeling that even if it had perfect punctuation and evrything which i mostly fixed i think some people would kill me if i put that 8000 word monster in here.

I do not believe leaders could work also. This kills the purpose of having already a ratehr large number of unique civs(averaging between 7 and 10 unique civs). It's pure suicide if you wanted to add 3 leaders per civs. It will not be possible.

However, I thought we could implement a certain system enhancing either one aspect for a certain civ over another aspect.

Like the Rebels for an example:

Their strengths are air and infantry. So why not having a choice between them? You could choose at a certain part of the game to either concentrate on your infantry or your air(This is just enhancing infantry not downgrading air which means that if you choose infantry, your airforce will still be one of the best in the game). If you decide infantry, you will receive better upgrades for them and if you choose air you will receive better upgrades for air.

I believe it makes some sense and could be applied to almost any civ since this is basically just upgrades.

Hmm, that idea I like, Luke's Dad. Similar ideas in the past have enabled concentration in all areas, but limiting it to just those two or three areas in which the civ already excels would be a great way to add diversity within the civ, without going against the civs actual fighting style.

Very nice indeed.

*Steals and incorporates into Vostok's SWGB2 plan*

Actually i have already incorporated lukes idea into my own before i read this post. My basic idea is that instead of researching technology (new units and upgrades) you invest in SWGB2. There would be three basic areas in which to invest, Civic, Economic and Military. Civic increases pop cap, allows new buildings etc, Economic increases worker speed and other economic benefits, Military discovers new units and better weapons/armour etc.

You would also be able to use an advanced function allowing you to invest in sub-areas, such as Infantry, Mechs, Aircraft or Ships in the Military section, with the pace of new technology proportional to the amount of credits you invest in that particular field.

Actually i have already incorporated lukes idea into my own before i read this post. My basic idea is that instead of researching technology (new units and upgrades) you invest in SWGB2. There would be three basic areas in which to invest, Civic, Economic and Military. Civic increases pop cap, allows new buildings etc, Economic increases worker speed and other economic benefits, Military discovers new units and better weapons/armour etc.

You would also be able to use an advanced function allowing you to invest in sub-areas, such as Infantry, Mechs, Aircraft or Ships in the Military section, with the pace of new technology proportional to the amount of credits you invest in that particular field.

When i said Leaders i didn't mean changing it radicaly i meant similar to your idea Luke's dad where i'll use empire as example you could choose between Grand Admiarl Thrawn The Emporer and General Veers for Thrawn you would get extra spaceship bonuses on top of the empire's spacehip bonuses { i think everybody agrees that in swgb 2 one of the empire's specialties wouyld be Speacehips} and maybe a unique unit of the TIE Sicmitar bomber and dark froce dreadnaught.Maybe as well unqiue techs that would enhance spacehips maybe one called Enspired Leadership which could increae acuracy of spaceships and maybe make some cheaper and maybe the option to upgrade some ships with a claoking device. For the Emporer you would have enhanced sith and fighters with a unique ability for sith/jedi where that when near fighters or on spaceshiips increase co-ordination between them and increases accuracy and efficiency and maybe also for fighters and make them vastly cheaper and give them the unqiue unit of a TIE Phantom. Whcih the emporer was presented with the designs for shortly before the prototypes and production facilities for them were destroyed by the rebel alliance and a uqniue technology of Imposing Leader ship which would make most units a little more tougher and maybe when converted have a 50-50 chence of suiciding. For General Veers you could have better mechs and the unique unit of the MT-AT which is more powerful than an AT-AT and more accurate but a little less well armoured. also you could have unique technology of Frontline Leadership where attacks are more co-ordinated and AT-AT's attack increases when they in groups. For this leader system it would just be to add a few unqiue technologies in adn unique unts in nothing major propably only a max of 5 new units per leader and 3 technologies and a handful of bonuses it wouldn't be anything major and it would add a touch of realism to the game it's nothing major that i'm suggesting just a handfulo of units to make civ's a little less predicatble and would make for better gameplay

luke - yeah, sorry bout that. The comp was stuffing up, it happened in another post aswell but i got that one.

With time relative to new technology/units/buildings etc that would be up to the developers to balance, coz im not a game designer. What i can say is that the more credits you invest in a particular area, the faster those upgrades/units etc become available to you. Also, upgardes would become instantly applied when 'discovered'.

Actually i've never played Civillsation, i got the idea from Rise of Nations and thought it was a far superior idea to the current research thingy with SWGB.

With the investing, i would use a percentage system, in that you make it so that, say, 10% of your funds are dedicated to military research, which then gradually eats your credits.

well RoN probably ripped it off civilization...

anyway, it sounds like it would fit RoNStarWars or CivilizationStarWars. I doubt it will sound like much of a RTS thing.

Anyway...

What is supposed to happen when you don't have enough credits anymore? Do you get a minus x amount of credit per x amount of time and the research things continues to hmmm...research or does it simply stops?

Archived