Home

Secrets of the MI2 Demo Revealed

ATMachine

(I know some of you will complain that this goes in the SCUMM hacking forum. However, since the mods are apparently okay with bgbennyboy posting the rules of "debug mode" and ScummVM news in this forum, I feel that I should be able to post here as well. I really don't mind if you guys move the thread, but it might get more attention over here, and the only SCUMM hacking done is the use of ScummVM.)

Late last night, quite by accident, I discovered that, using ScummVM 0.4.2 (from a daily snapshot on ScummVM's site) to play the Monkey Island 2 rolling demo, if you press Escape during the title screen, you will arrive in Woodtick with complete control over Guybrush and the cursor!

This means that you can play around in the demo and observe some things that are different than in the final game.

A few examples:

-Guybrush attempts to recount the story of LeChuck's defeat, greatly embellished, to an uncaring bartender.

-According to the Phatt City Library card catalog, Elaine has written romance novels in her spare time. (In the final game, they're attributed to "Melanie Leary.")

-The book "Famous Pirate Quotations" has quotes apparently said by the game designers.

-One can find the "Big but Undrawn Tree" on the Booty Island map.

-Scabb Island is spelled "Scab" on its map.

Not all of the rooms from the final game are in the demo, so you can only do so much. Some of the rooms can only be accessed by using the debugger (Shift + ~) and typing "room #." Here's a list of where you can go:

Room 2 - Scabb Island Map

Room 3 - Title screen

Room 4 - Shore (Campfire and Steamin' Weenie hut)

Room 7 - Woodtick

Room 8 - Wally's House

Room 9 - Bloody Lip Bar

Room 11 - Bloody Lip Kitchen

Room 12 - Swamp Rot Inn

Room 13 - Largo's Room

Room 14 - Mad Marty's Laundry

Room 15 - Woodsmith's Shop

Room 18 - Crypt with five coffins (one is Rapp Scallion's)

Room 27 - Phatt Island wharf

Room 29 - Phatt Island jail

Room 30 - Library

Room 31 - Card catalog drawers

Room 32 - Closeup of card catalog drawers

Room 46 - Booty Island map

Room 47 - Ville de la Booty

Room 48 - Spitting Contest

Room 51 - Stan's Previously Owned Coffins

Room 52 - Guard Kiosk in front of Elaine's Mansion

Room 71 - LeChuck's Fortress (room with shipping crate)

Room 87 - Dread's Map

Room 93 - Icons (can't teleport here, you need Scumm16 to see them)

This incomplete list of rooms means you must be careful what you do or your game will crash. For example, you can't view the conversation in full between Largo and the Bloody Lip barkeep because the script calls for a missing close-up of Largo's spit.

Still, it's good fun and I advise you to play around with it. It can be downloaded at Monkey Island Inside. The link is in German, but the demo is in English.

In closing, I leave you with a quote:

"You see, there was this ghost pirate called LeChuck,

He was 12 feet tall and stronger than a ten-ton mega truck."

Interesting, I'll move it to Scumm Hacking like the other threads when its run its course.

The demo has the fish above the door in the Carpenter's shop too

I'm finding lots of other stuff, i'll post it later with screenshots.

Interesting, indeed.

Of course, "Melanie Leary" is an anagram of Elaine Marley, so her shameful literary past presumably remains unchanged from demo to full game. :)

I'm totally off to play with this.

Booty Island is the best, man. Stans has completely changed, there's some funky looking ship, and Guybrush remarks that "I can't go in that door in this version" when you try and enter the junk shop. They also spell "Dredd's Ship" as "Dred's Ship".

Also, best piano ever in the Swamp Rott Inn.

I best not say any more, else ruin Bennys giant post of observations and screenshots.

Ok then, anally retentive mode engaged.

The Bloody Lip:

Dialogue with Barkeeper different [Edit as ATMachine has already said, meh]. Instead of "wanna see my scar?" its either "I single-handedly destroyed a Tyrannous Dictator" or "I once saved a whole race of people from sure death"

The conversation then goes like this:

Barkeeper - "Is this your "how I rid the world of LeChuck story?"

Guybrush - "How'd you know?"

Barkeeper - "I've heard it so many times, I can recognise it a mile away."

Guybrush - "Yah well..."

Guybrush - "So anyway..."

Guybrush - "You see, there was once this ghost pirate named LeChuck"

Guybrush - "He was 12 feet tall and he was stronger than a ten ton mega-truck"

Barkeeper - "I really dont care Guybrush"

The "How's business" conversation is cut short, the Barkeeper just says "I keep getting robbed", theres no mention of a voodoo doll of Largo and he says "Speak of the devil" as Largo enters.

The piano is different.

Mad Marty's

Go in then out for an odd woodtick music cue to play

Beach

The stick is bigger and more noticable

Scab Island Map

As already noted, named "Scab Island" instead, beach graveyard and swamp look different and theres an extra pond at the bottom.

Largo's Room

Toupee is different

Crypt

Different quotes on coffins:

"Have you hugged Tami today?"

"Tim is the meanest boy in the whole world"

"Look, no more Mills jokes alright?"

"What kind of the fish is on Dock?"

"Miss New York was a TOTAL arf"

Phatt Island Warf

Odd music, cant walk off to the left or right, masking problems, Guybrush can go behind his wanted poster.

Jail

Different instruments used for music

Booty Island

Extra pond on map (right) see screenshot

Spitting Contest

Spitmaster known as Referee instead

Stan's

Allready well known - room is different

No "complimentary hankie" when you leave

Guard Kiosk

Music has slightly different instruments

LeChuck's fortress

Different music

Theres loads more stuff too, for example there 17 imuse cue's in the resource file for LeChuck's fortress that arent all used, so perhaps some of those are different too.

To add to bgbennyboy's list:

Try getting at least 9 items in your inventory. The arrows are much brighter than they are in the final game.

The 4th line of dialog when first meeting Largo on the bridge is different than the final game's.

The rat-catching box is different at Mad Marty's Laundry.

There's a candlestick in the Swamp Rot Inn that was later painted out.

There's no "help wanted" sign at the Bloody Lip.

The kiosk guard's hat is green here, but black in the final game.

The book on Big Whoop in the library is called "Inky Island: Unclaimed Bonanza or Myth?" and contains less information than its finalized counterpart.

The "odd music cue" heard when leaving Mad Marty's varies based on which place you travel to first in Woodtick.

PS - Thrik: There are no hidden rooms in the Mi1 demo, but hidden objects to get, such as the Melee Island PTA minutes (object #452) and in the Voodoo Lady's shop, "voodoo love beads" and a "cauldron o' fear" (respectively objects #394 and #395). Go to the rooms where you get them, start the debugger, and type "object # pickup".)

Till now I'm getting music at this places:

71 - (LeChuck's Fortress) LeChuck's tune, I don't think I've heard this version before

52 - (Guard Kiosk) it looks similar to the original

29 - (Phatt Island jail) go to room 27 first and then enter the jail. The music is the same that is heard in the final version I think.

27 - (Phatt Island wharf) IIRC it has nothing to do with the final version. I like it :)

9 - (Bloody Lip Bar) Leave and enter Woodtick and go to the bar

7 - (Woodtick) Leave and enter Woodtick to hear the music

2 - (Scabb Island) Just leave Woodtick to hear it

The most interesting thing I've found is the presence of the book "Dancing Skeletons and Other Hallucinations" in the library, which gives the totally BIG CLUE:

"Usually, dreaming of dancing skeletons is linked to premonitions of future events..."

That would have been a handy hint for the minority of people (presumably) who would have bothered to check it out. I wonder why they removed it.

The shirt on Largo's bed turns into the bra when you pick it up.

Also, Guybrush says something to Wally about Big Whoop being named by a four-year-old. And in the same conversation, someone totally can't spell "buried", though I bet they can now. Outed!

Originally posted by ATMachine

PS - Thrik: There are no hidden rooms in the Mi1 demo, but hidden objects to get, such as the Melee Island PTA minutes (object #452) and in the Voodoo Lady's shop, "voodoo love beads" and a "cauldron o' fear" (respectively objects #394 and #395). Go to the rooms where you get them, start the debugger, and type "object # pickup".)

So how do you find out object numbers? I have managed to get some with the help of scummrev, but it's a little complicated. I wonder how you do it.

A little off topic (Sorry, but when i start talking about object numbers, questions just comes). It seems to be impossible to get the object number for the voodoo root bottle in MI1. I want it!

There's no parallax scrolling either, nor is any of the water animated (it looks like it does on an Amiga). I don't recall that spittoon in the Bloodly Lip before either... is that my memory?

Also: Why does pressing escape work on ScummVM but not in, say, Q+E?? Very weird!

Can peeps post more screenshots? (I've asked that the ScummVM team put a 'snapshot' button in to make this easier, but it ain't there yet (I don't think).)

~ John

There's not really much else to show. Just go in and see/listen for yourself.

If you mean it doesn't scroll when you try to talk to the left/right after warping, you need to enter the area properly first. For example, you need to go to the prison then the Phatt Island villa to make it scroll.

Q+E really only launches ScummVM, so it shouldn't matter if you use that or just launch ScummVM separately - Escape should work fine either way. As for graphics, there aren't any big differences - the music and the books in the library are probably the most interesting parts.

of course there are various boot params to try as well if you have a look at the bootscript.

Many of them don't work as the resources for the rooms weren't included in the demo.

The numbers labelled with '?' don't have their rooms included in the resources.

You can still see what items they add when you run scummvm with -d1 or you could just look at the bootscript here

123 - Laundry with Laundry claim ticket

213 - ?

333 - ?

353 - ?

408 - ?

409 - stans with nails and hammer

415 - ?

456 - woodtick

459 - ?

494 - ?

498 - hotel with voodoo doll and pins

500 - largo's room with bucket-o-mud

596 - ?

598 - monkey playing piano with 11 pieces 'o eight, banana and temporary library card

619 - ?

666 - cutscene where you talk about the wanted poster on Phatt Island

667 - Phatt Island wharf

668 - ?

669 - ?

675 - ?

676 - ?

677 - ?

704 - ?

707 - ?

714 - ?

726 - ?

818 - in kitchen with trapped, cowering rat

819 - in bar

820 - in woodtick

878 - Phatt Island wharf with small key

888 - ?

890 - Booty Island with 6112 pieces o' eight

898 - Phatt Island wharf with leaflet

899 - Booty Island with 276 pieces o' eight

906 - ?

907 - ?

908 - ?

909 - ?

989 - Boot Island with 6112 pieces o' eight and shipwrecks book

996 - ?

997 - ?

998 - ?

999 - ?

1000 - ?

1001 - ?

1297 - ?

1967 - ?

1968 - ?

1974 - beach on scabb island with paper

1976 - ?

1977 - ?

1984 - Scabb Island after campfire scene

1985 - ?

1989 - ?

1990 - woodsmith shop in woodtick

1991 - ?

1993 - ?

1998 - ?

1999 - ?

2001 - ?

2010 - woodtick with riches

2061 - ?

4478 - ?

6711 - ?

8811 - ?

10001 - start game in easy mode

11111 - beach on Scabb Island

Escape wont work in VdmSound mode because its using the original interpreter which is a rolling demo, it isnt meant to be playable.

Remi is referring to ScummVM Q+E you are referring to LEC Q+E. I never said I gave the names much thought...

Originally posted by Huz

The most interesting thing I've found is the presence of the book "Dancing Skeletons and Other Hallucinations" in the library, which gives the totally BIG CLUE:

"Usually, dreaming of dancing skeletons is linked to premonitions of future events..."

That would have been a handy hint for the minority of people (presumably) who would have bothered to check it out. I wonder why they removed it.

Outed!

Hmm that is interesting!

Ron, Tim and Dave must thought it gave to much of the secret away......perhaps. These games are full surprises:D

Archived