Home

Secrets of the MI2 Demo Revealed

ATMachine

A few questions that hopefully someone can answer, or give an educated fuess on :)

Why was a playable demo of MI2 never released?

It seems this was meant to be playable at some point - since you can, and Guybrush has some demo-replies ("I can't do that in this version") or is that merely meant for the developers?

Yeah as Thrik says I dont think it was ever meant to be playable. With the original interpreter its basically like a video, but of course using the resource files and the modified interpreter its much smaller than a video would be.

The original interpreter(s) supported a record/playback feature. The monkey island 2 demo is basically a short intro and a recorded session being played back.

ScummVM currently doesn't support this functionality which is why it crashes unless you happen to hit escape or otherwise skip that part of the demo.

Is there any chance that someone could record those midis as mp3s or oggs, like on the Mojo hosted site that had some of MI2's?

My sound card outputs absolutely pathetic midi, and I'd love to hear these with better quality.

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

Needless to say I'm talking about the non-ScummVM section of Q+E :rolleyes:

You should use the final game engine from Monkey 2 to do so. You'll need these files:

- ADLIB.IMS

- MONKEY2.EXE

- ROLAND.IMS

Also you'll have to rename datafiles from MI2DEMO.xxx to MONKEY2.xxx

You should also set music to Roland since the demo doesn't have any Adlib music included. (and it's quite interesting that all musics from the demo are stored in file MI2DEMO.002 in the same LFLF block).

Anyways, the ScummVM solution is better since I can't find a way to enable the original debugger (and 'monkeyspit' doesn't work here like in the final game), so you can't leave Scabb Island.

I don't know if someone noticed it, but if you press F3 you can change scumm colors, and if you press F4 you can change the bright of it.

One question: I'm not able to open the console. I can only access yo it when demo crashes, but then i try "Room 51" command and then I've back to desktop. What are the keys *exactly* I have to push to access the console? I have a spanish keyboard.

Thanks...

Originally posted by yS_

I don't know if someone noticed it, but if you press F3 you can change scumm colors, and if you press F4 you can change the bright of it.

Great... looks like Ron used this to choose the best colour/brightness for verbs.

It is worth noticeing those little 'skulls' before each phrase in the questions bar (i.e. when you talk with Largo in the very beginning). I don't remember them in the final version, or am I wrong?

That skulls don't appear in any Spanish or French version, I've checked it, but at least in English floppy version they do, i don't know if in the CD version they're there too. Weird thing...

The skulls are in every English PC version. However, they don't appear in the English Amiga 11-disk version, nor do they appear in any foreign language version of MI2 ever released that I know of.

(One pre-release German version of MI2 did have them, but they aren't in the final German release, as far as I know.)

Yes, I know. Odd, isn't it?

To Drigo: It's been far too long since I've played the Mac version. I really ought to get my old Macintosh out of mothballs one of these days . . .

To khalek: Hmm. So ScummVM can't play the recorded sessions? I've noticed that if you let the demo go on until it crashes, the error message tells you that it can't find room 5 - which is the room number for Guybrush's conversation with Bart and Fink at the campfire in the game's beginning.

Since the campfire scene is where the script wants to begin the "game," I assume that at this point the intro (with Guybrush and Elaine on the ropes) and the credit sequence weren't scripted in yet.

Archived