Home

Galaxies Space Exspansion

waffleman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the space battles CANNOT be turn based, because it is very hard to make MMORPGs turn based unlest they entered a diff fighting window different from the real world, which would take out terrain advantges and manuverability unless they made it like the book RPGs, if the ships do cost what they SHOULD, like a few hundred thou credits, there will prolly be a loan system and maybe see yer first loansharks and bankers

if they make piloting a skill, i imagine the skill tree would start off with something like "novice spacefarer" and then branch off into categories like freithter piloting, fighter piloting, starship gunnery and starship maintianance, and then they would perhaps break off to form eliete professions, like starship design for the maintainance branch and dogfighting for the fighter branch.

my guess why they would have piloting have a skill tree would be to give only the more experienced pilots access to better ships, equipment, etc. so some artisan with 12 million credits cant just go out and buy himself the best ship in the game.

As far as controls go, thats really anyones guess. i enjoyed freelancer, and i thought the controls worked beautifully, but back in the day i was a TIE Fighter junkie, and i would really like to see those controls.

thats all i've got

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they make the space expansion using a combat engine similar to the last of the 'X-Wing series', X-Wing Alliance. Yes, the systems mamagement and stuff can be a little overwhelming at first but it pretty simple once ya get the hang of it and much more realistic. And it had a a good amout of different player flyable craft. I am looking forward to hopefully buying a YT-2400. a YT-2000, or a PES. How many folks are gonna go lame and pick a YT-1300?

I wouldn't want a flight engine like the 'Rogue Squadron' series of games. That would suck big time.

Didn't bother to read every post on this subject but was wondering if anyone has played Anarchy Online? The system they have for vehicles is very simple but yet effective. Once you buy the vehicle it stays with you in your inventory. You just right click it to get into the vehicle. This is not instantanious btw. It takes about 10-15 sec to get in. Once your in you can have an outside view or first person view. This could be modified to reflect ships in SWG of course. As for flying. It was not set up for combat as no vehicle in AO can go into combat but the vehicle is controlled by the mouse and keyboard keys. It's a simple yet effective way to fly around. Again, I am sure SOE can modified to allow combat. I'm guessing that SOE will impliment some sort of "zoneing" to get from planet to space. Once your in planet or in space you should be able to see anyone else in there vehicle(ship) and by clicking on them you can go into combat or attempt to board there ship. Frigates and larger ships could hold a whole boarding party and once aboard all players zone to the inside of a ship and attempt battle to take over the ship. Once one party is victorious, that party zones back into the new ship. Simple but effective. So many possabilities and I am getting my hopes up. I hope SOE does not F it up.

• 2 weeks later...

First post here btw.

I've been feeding my appetite for the SWG EU launch by reading these forums etc.

This thread is about the space expansion and I'm totally thrilled with it. And to think, I haven't even played the game yet.

I'm hoping there will be places like Kessel or the maw installation. At the "present timeline" kessel should be an imperial penal facility.

I'm a huge consumer of SW books etc and theres a huge vault of possible places already in the expanded universe.

I can't wait till next friday, I just hope my preorder will make it...

-----

Oh. Nice job with the forums guys. Extremely interesting conversations all over the place.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that they will be able to make flying twitch flying - the lag can be pretty bad as it is.

What I'm hoping for (And I really can't see the physical limitations of implementing this) is to be able to use an autopilot looking from inside the ship, to be able to engage in combat from a third person view of the ship, with a similar combat system to the one we already have BUT you should only be able to perform evasive manoevures by use of the action keys, this way being a more advanced pilot would actually mean something. Also I hope (REALLY hope) that you will be able to leave the ship on autopilot and get up, walk around and talk to other people on the ship. I also hope that ship travelling isn't instantaneous like shuttles, and you get to see the space while in space.

I will kill the developers if the space flight system is ANYTHING akin to the Rogue Squadron games...

• 2 weeks later...

I would love if space flight was made difficult to use. Somehting along the lines of Flight Simulator, where players would really have to learn to fly. This could open up areas for professional pilots, getting skill points for how well you do, and having the ships become more responsive the more experience you had. And it would be great if you could move around these ships too. Set the autopilot and sit back in the lounge section with the mini-bar!

it CANNOT be like XvT, it cannot depend on the persons skill and connection like that game did, but rather the fights should depend on your pilots skill. You type your coarse, auto-pilot, get attacked. type /attack /evade /rudder /torpedoe or whatever commands they make to attack and evade. If it were like XvT then the MMORPG part is lost to the 3D flight sim and thus the experts in XvT and XWA would have a huge advantage.

This is my first post here. :D

I like XvT it is posssible to do it that way. Like probably when you first get a ship the lasers will be weaker same with shields. Imagine how cool it will be to come from hyperspace with a large fleet:vsd: and win a battle that was hopeless. No /command it kind of gets boring doing that and the computer does the rest. It gets boring pushing buttons or typing then wait for the enemy to die. :( That is one thing that I don't want in space battles.I don't care how good the grafics are for all i care they can use XvT and change a few things.

With professions there should be ground skills and space skills to cope with skill points. A class like ship builders have 4 box things like Fighters, Bomers, weapon systems, and shielding. A ship bulider should be able to first build Tie Fighters and Z95's for fighters. Then build intercepters and X-wings.:x-wing: Then build Tie Advances and A-wings.:awing: Finally Tie defenders:tied: and some new rebel craft. Kind of like that so at first people will have weak ships and move up to powerful ships. You should be able to put what type of lasers u have like 1 normal and 1 ion or with tie defender 6 normal.

U should be able to control capital ships and give advanced commands to your fighters. It might give a profession to politian.If you are borded by an enemy u should be able to fight them, but only for capital ship or transports. I don't know how you will fight in the an a-wing. No gunnry turrents because then it will be suicide to attack a capital ship. Then it will be pointless to be a fighter.

It can work and be something everone wants. There can be more Star Wars like missions. For example you could defeat a fleet, but they crash and you have to find the survivers. That will be the best!!!

Archived