Home

Bush's approval rating at LF

Mort-Hog

Do you think Bush has done a good job? Do you think he has handled the war with Iraq, Afganistan and the 'war on terrorism' well? Are you angry that he lied about WMD? Do you think he has improved the US' diplomatic relations? How well has he handled the US internally? (the Americans will probably find that an easier question to answer)

Have your say! and I won't cuss you down! not at first anyway.

Bush is a sick bastard and the real threat to world peace. I hope someone assassinates him and his bitches (Blair, Fogh-Rasmussen, etc.). End of rant. Seriously though, I think he's just enlarging the gap between east and west. And religion is, as always, the root to all evil.

He saved those people from poverty! Look at Saddam...living in lavash castles...just how many feet away from poverty stricken cities. His people were living in dirt and filth while he was living the life! I just wish Bush had not used the lame ass excuse about WMD and just made it more of a "saving the people" war instead of all this propaganda.

Well someone has to stop the people who starve their people and torture them. I don't care if it's America doing the stopping or any other country. Some countries just aren't brave enough to step up to the plate. They'd rather let another country do it and then rag on them for it.

But there are people starving in America too. Shouldn't Bush sort them out with a nice bacon butty before he goes off to Iraq?

And yeah, I heard that Saddam rides around on horseback, striking at innocent people with his iron whip whilst humming the theme tune to 'Black Beauty'

America has some incredible poverty, if intervention is for humanitarian reasons it should get its own house in order first. There are American people who live in 'filth and dirt' while rich people live around them.

From a certain perspective America is just as bad as any 'evil regime', its detaining people without trial in Guantannamo Bay in breech of their human rights and when people from there are tried its in a military court with no independent judge and jury. Two British citizens are due to be tried in this manner, who on earth is America to try citizens from another country like this? America is by no means whiter than white.

Sometimes intervention, especially from a position of fear and strength is the easy option. Intervention from a position of such overwhelming military strength isnt bravery, its merely a rejection of diplomacy and an assertion of unilateralism. The point Carl made about poverty is still valid since America and other countries seem to have failed to plan for the aftermath of war. Food and sanitation are still lacking, if America was serious about Iraqi poverty they would have put together a much bigger Iraqi aid package. Thats not to say that things wont get better in the long term but the welfare of the Iraqi people was clearly not a motivating factor in the decision of America to go to war.

I don't think america could afford a much bigger aid package. We have to take care of our people too. As far as people starving here...its not like they are opressed. They can get jobs, food stamps etc. It is not like there aren't programs in our country that helps the poor out. And poverty here is not even comparable to what went on in Iraq

You say things like this takes time. Well, what about Afghanistan then? Everything there works like a charm now, doesn't it? Nah, Bush is just manipulating the fear in the American people after 9/11 so he can use his powers to wipe out the so-called "axis of evil". What's even more disgusting is his claims to be righteous and that he's doing this through God. The Christian people is enough misguided already.

Time = years

afganistan = years

This stuff takes years and years of improvement - it is childish to think that it will be an instant change. It is going to take a long time, but in the long run I feel that the Iraqi people are better off and Clinton certainly didn't do anything besides getting laid so...hum. Go Bush!

Well, there is of course a lot of discussion about the war(s) that were going on. But one thing that's certainly good is that the western world finally takes real interest in those regions. I hope there are going to be some changes made. Education for one thing and political reforms.

It can't be that some people steer those countries into fanatism solely for their own ends. The anti-western propaganda is often only used to distract from economic catastrophes.

Yes, it's gonna take "time and resolve", but I think that in the end the middle east will be much more stable. Or it may get totally fucked up, who knows?

Clinton gave American foreign policy a far more humaniatarian slant eg intervention to prevent ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. To my mind thats a whole lot better than intervention born out of paranoid security considerations.

Capitalism means that you care about one thing: yourself. Whether it be as a country or as a business, the aim of capitalism is to make the rich people richer, capitalising on poorer people with the aim of making money. If there were nothing to be gained, whether it be as money from oil directly, or as additional political leverage in the area, from the invasion of Iraq, the US would not spend 3.9 billion dollars a month [1] on this war.

Cool! I totally want some cool souveniers like that. We only go to boring countries on holiday, like Bulgaria and Malta. We were going to go to Moscow this year, but because of the latest Chechen action we probably wont. Might be going to Cairo instead though!

Anyway, I'd best shut up and stop going off topic, else the thread-starter is going to get real angry at me!

Archived