Home

Monkey Island the movie aka Pirates of the caribbean

dabomb765

If you guy want to watch monkey island on the big screen watch Pirates of the Caribbean. Same story same charcters same locations only diffrent name.

If you saw the movie then read on as I discuss some of the similarities(spoilers)

Captian Jack Sparrow=Otis. He always ends up getting locked up and chained and is a victim to society.

Orlando Blooms charcter=Guybrush. has to save a girl. looks like mi2 guybrush and is kind of a wimp.

Elizabeth Swan=Elaine. Strong girl. Gets kidnapped by undead pirates. has someone going after her. she een looks like her. She is of great authority.

Captain Barbossa=Lechuck. Kidnaps girl. is undead. has a an undead army of pirates. has a beard. sounds and looks like him also.

The skinny tall pirate with a glass eye and the short one= the tall and short fat guys from mi3. They were very similar.

Girl that slaps jack 2 times on cheek=Carla the swordmaster. Tanned skin. tough. good with sword.

The Island that captain jack was marooned to twice= Monkey Island. An island in the middle of nowhere where your gooal is to try to escape. people always left there to die.

The scene in the bar with the fights. The scummbar. It was very similar to the scummbar including the color and atmosphere.

Other similar things.

Cursed objects.

Trying to find a crew

insult sword fighting

wooing the dog to give the key to the prisoners

cannon ball scene at the begginging

the ships with the undead pirates looked like the part in mi3 were you had to shoot them down.

Aztec Treasure=Big whoop?

Feel free to add on more suggestions.

Well, I'm sure you know that like the movie, Monkey Island was "inspired" by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

Are there any direct references? Such as a little bit of the LeChuck theme here, a rubber chicken with a pully in the middle lying around over there? That would be nice.

Too bad this movie doesn't hit a European Cinema until the 8th of August.

You wanna Monkey Island Movie?! Oh, there's really no point anymore.

BUt yeah, Monkey island was inspired by the Pirates of the caribbean ride at disneyworld. Plus the name is complete property of Disney so they can realy do whatever the hell they want with it including a film which bears some similarities to our belove game . Bu that whole otis thing, I'm yet to see otis fight like Sparrow and plus, I see no curse in monkey island where people turn into skeletons in the moonlight, they're either undead or alive in MI. Also, the movie's about a load of stolen treasure which has to be returned in order to break the curse, must have missed that in MI.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, the MI team wanted to spoof and pay homage to the POTC ride at Dinkyisland..er..I mean..uh.. Disneyland. But I am also convinced that the POTC:COTBP movie was very much influenced by the MI games. What struck me when I first saw it was the choice of color for the night scenes during the attack. It was teal blue just like the scene in CMI with the attack on the fort. Also the shot of the town with the ship in the forground looked just like a similar shot in CMI. But the CMI shots were influenced by POTC ride. And the first post made many good comparison that I hadn't thought of. Orlando Blume is Guybrush like, and the woman in the movie is very much like Eliane in there personality and smarts. And there are no ghost pirates in the POTC ride, just dead skeltons. A Ghost pirate captain must have coem from MI. And the fat and skinny pirate was absultuly taken from CMI. That was one of the few jokes I suggested for CMI that got in, the whole 'Big bones' joke. But it is all good. I am very plesed they were inpsired by the MI games, and we were very much inspired by the POTC ride. It is all good!

-Bill Tiller

Originally posted by kilohoku

Umm... The fact that Elizabeth Swan, (Elaine) is the govorner's daughter. And check out the movie posters.

And as far as I have been told, Captian Jack (Otis) throws a rubber chicken at someone.

And judging by that, you'd say that this is what an MI movie would be about? And when exactly does Otis swordfight, own a ship, have a title or second name or even touch a rubber chicken?

You're just piecing together bits and pieces of the movie just because your spiteful that this is the closest we will ever come to a real Monkey Island Movie despite the fact that this is meant to be the best summer blockbuster this year.

If they were going to make an MI movie, they would have done it years ago, when it was in its hay day.

Now, it might have some similarities, and might have been partly inspired but the tall skinny, short fat undead joke, hundreds of films have that, ok, so they might not be undead, but...

There may be similarities e.t.c, but it couldnt be a total MI film, cause it'd only be people like us who'd go to see it and we'd get laughed at going into the cinema. Seriously, no-one would go to see it and they wouldn't make any money from it. Which is the whole point of Disney.

I'd love for them to make an MI film, but its just not going to happen.

Originally posted by hellomoto

If they were going to make an MI movie, they would have done it years ago, when it was in its hay day.

Who are "they"? If you mean Lucasfilm, they made the Young Indy series back then.

Originally posted by hellomoto

There may be similarities e.t.c, but it couldnt be a total MI film, cause it'd only be people like us who'd go to see it and we'd get laughed at going into the cinema. Seriously, no-one would go to see it and they wouldn't make any money from it.

How can you make such a statement? Don't you think a story full of pirates and adventure with lots of humor would appeal to a lot of movie-goers? It worked in a quite similar way with this archeologist and his encounters.

We would be laughed at for going to the cinema??? Why, oh pray tell me why!

Yeah, no really, the movie canot be supported on a fan base alone and really, who would want to see a movie called Monkey island with a female governor, a guy named Guybrush Threepwood some undead guys and a curse. Oh yeah, all those who went to see the biggest blockbuster this year, Pirates of the Caribbean. And they would simpley thing that a monkey island moie was a complete takeoff from that film so they wouldn't see it. The movie would go bust and it would be a total waste. Any hope of a Monkey island movie was lost with POTC.

Now, I can only see this movie on thursday at the earliest (legally) so let it be known I haven't seen it at the time of writing.

Ok, first thing first - Monkey Island, as it is, would be a crap movie. Seriously, think about it. Guybrush spends 90% of his time alone, solving puzzles. The whole genre of point and click is a genre meant to be enjoyed alone. I know for a fact I would hate to sit down and watch someone play Monkey Island for 2 hours. If they were to make an MI movie, then it would have to vastly change from the current format, because the fact remains that games and movies are two incredibly different things. Monkey Island the movie would need another character to help Guybrush in his quest, because no-one (NO-ONE) would green-light a movie that involved one person walking around by himself.

Also, that whole scene with Jack Sparrow and the dog with the keys that was in MI2? Well, MI2 lifted that scene straight from pirates of the caribbean the RIDE in the first place.

And as for the idea of the curse? Well, last time I checked Monkey Island wasn't the first story to utilise curses - ghost ships have been told of in stories long before Monkey Island came along. I mean, just watch the Twilight Zone! That had ghost ships in it and it was made in the 50's.

Insult sword fighting? Well, yeah, Monkey Island used it in a new and clever way in the first game, it was truly innovative. But just watch any swashbuckler and you'll see that the insults come with the territory. From Errol Flynn doing it 60 years ago, to Highlander in the 80's. I mean, even Hook has it: "Looky Looky I got Hooky!" "I remember you being a lot bigger"-"to a ten year old I'm huge" etc. It just makes the scene better.

Trying to find a crew? Well, amazing. Ever heard of Treasure Island?

The island they leave Jack on sounds interesting. However, Monkey Island, in the original, was regarded as a myth - no-one had ever been there, and no-one could prove it existed. You certainly didn't get "left there to die."

I don't think Disney would let the film be influenced by Monkey Island in any way, to be honest. Why? Well, its a potentially interesting legal situation. I mean, LucasArts make a game INSPIRED by a Disney ride, then Disney make a film based off their OWN ride, and then the film is INFLUENCED by the LucasArts game. So, who has the copyright? Disney don't want some kind of court case when the film is making as much money as it is.

And you say Keira Knightley's character is like Elaine? Well, if you mean strong willed then you're obviously making a link that isn't there. I mean, I always thought Marian in Raiders of the Lost Ark was like Elaine, and she came 5 years earlier. I mean, in MI2 Guybrush goes to find his EX-LOVER Elaine, who thinks he wants her back. In fact, he wants her GRANDFATHERS map piece. In Raiders, Indy finds his EX-LOVER Marian, who thinks he wants her back. Instead, he wants her FATHERS medallian. Oh my!! See, co-incidences happen. Woop-de-doo.

Read this if you want to see the links between the ride and the games.

Well said, LucasTones. You'll see just how right you are when you actually watch Pirates. It's BETTER than any MI movie could be too (half of the humor of MI1+2 is getting Guybrush to say REALLY silly things -- how could that work in a film? The audience would just think he was an idiot.).

~ John

Finally, someone who agree with me on this. Thank you Lucas Tones. And now I'm going to add to this to make it hit home even more.

Originally posted by LucasTones

Now, I can only see this movie on thursday at the earliest (legally) so let it be known I haven't seen it at the time of writing.

Annoyingly, me too, but this is set to be the best summer blockbuster this year (stated by empire who are normally pretty cynical about these things) so I have high hopes about this movie.

Ok, first thing first - Monkey Island, as it is, would be a crap movie. Seriously, think about it. Guybrush spends 90% of his time alone, solving puzzles. The whole genre of point and click is a genre meant to be enjoyed alone. I know for a fact I would hate to sit down and watch someone play Monkey Island for 2 hours. If they were to make an MI movie, then it would have to vastly change from the current format, because the fact remains that games and movies are two incredibly different things. Monkey Island the movie would need another character to help Guybrush in his quest, because no-one (NO-ONE) would green-light a movie that involved one person walking around by himself.

Too true, proof? Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are tied as the two worst movies I've ever seen in my life. Super Mario Bros I simply won't go into.

Also, that whole scene with Jack Sparrow and the dog with the keys that was in MI2? Well, MI2 lifted that scene straight from pirates of the caribbean the RIDE in the first place.

As was a hell of a lot, like maybe the whole concept of Monkey Island.

And as for the idea of the curse? Well, last time I checked Monkey Island wasn't the first story to utilise curses - ghost ships have been told of in stories long before Monkey Island came along. I mean, just watch the Twilight Zone! That had ghost ships in it and it was made in the 50's.

And plus the curse is completely different in the movie, you're only picking it up because it's a curse in a pirate movie. News flash, it's not illegal, and actually makes for good story telling, which is why both POTC and COMI used it. If somethings good, you might as well use it, even if someone vaguely used it before.

Insult sword fighting? Well, yeah, Monkey Island used it in a new and clever way in the first game, it was truly innovative. But just watch any swashbuckler and you'll see that the insults come with the territory. From Errol Flynn doing it 60 years ago, to Highlander in the 80's. I mean, even Hook has it: "Looky Looky I got Hooky!" "I remember you being a lot bigger"-"to a ten year old I'm huge" etc. It just makes the scene better.

The whole point of the joke in SOMi was simply because we see insults fly in sword fights. The practically lifted it from every single sword fight before then anyway, as you have to remember Monkey island is a spoof of all pirate films (at least the first two) so that's why it had stuff like that in.

I don't think Disney would let the film be influenced by Monkey Island in any way, to be honest. Why? Well, its a potentially interesting legal situation. I mean, LucasArts make a game INSPIRED by a Disney ride, then Disney make a film based off their OWN ride, and then the film is INFLUENCED by the LucasArts game. So, who has the copyright? Disney don't want some kind of court case when the film is making as much money as it is.

Lucas arts have nothing on POTC otherwise they would have taken action by now.

And you say Keira Knightley's character is like Elaine? Well, if you mean strong willed then you're obviously making a link that isn't there. I mean, I always thought Marian in Raiders of the Lost Ark was like Elaine, and she came 5 years earlier. I mean, in MI2 Guybrush goes to find his EX-LOVER Elaine, who thinks he wants her back. In fact, he wants her GRANDFATHERS map piece. In Raiders, Indy finds his EX-LOVER Marian, who thinks he wants her back. Instead, he wants her FATHERS medallian. Oh my!! See, co-incidences happen. Woop-de-doo.

Frankly, damsels in distress died out with teh silent movie. Heroins have always been strong willed adn able to kick ass at a moments notice, that just the way it goes. if it's the governors daughter thing being to close to her actually being the governor, well, in those times, what's what they had, governors, those were the rulars, MI had to use them because it was set in pirate times and POTC is no different.

Monkey Island is a game, not a movie. It is not naturally designed to be a movie, therefore the humour and things we love about the game will simply not work in a film.

There are very few games which have successfully gone to the big screen. What we love about the game would not apply to a movie - it'd just be corny and boring to watch. Monkey Island simply would not work as a movie, and should never be attempted.

Grim Fandango for example was one of the greatest games of all time, containing a beautiful storyline and hugely memorable characters/locations. Would this work in a movie? Hell no!

The game is not adapted to be a movie, since the majority of the game is based around you doing puzzles. The storyline is continued by your puzzles, while in a movie these puzzles would have to be replaced with made-up action sequences and such. The exact same thing applies to Monkey Island.

I was excited when I saw POTC, because it could mean that the pirate genre will gain interest, and a Monkey Island film just might come into existence. Then, I thought, everyone who didn't know monkey island existed (billions of people) would think of it as a rip off of POTC. :( as has been stated:

And they would simpley thing that a monkey island moie was a complete takeoff from that film so they wouldn't see it.

Monkey Island, any adventure game for that matter, would not easily adapt to a movie. It'd basically be a lot like POTC, but with different characters and a slightly different plot.

Something also previously stated was that the humor and joy of Monkey Island comes from actually playing the game. From being Guybrush, and getting to know him and his antics. Just watching him would make him seem kind of stupid.

But, we're straying from the original topic.

Aspects of POTC and SMI are similar (ghost pirates/captain/ship; kidnap governer's daughter; go save the governer's daughter from ghost captain), however the plots really are different. POTC reminds people of MI, so people are making these connections that are totally coincidental. Everything has been done before, and curses and ghosts and kidnappings are all aspects of pirate movies. POTC is a pirate movie. MI parodies pirate movies. Of course they'll be similar. There may have been someone high up in production of the movie that played Monkey Island and got some inspiration from it, but remember, the ride is the inspiration for both. Not every little thing in the movie is taken from MI.

AND THE DOG WITH THE KEY IS TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE RIDE, IN BOTH THE GAME AND THE MOVIE!!!!! Did you think the dog in the game was named WALT for no particular reason??

(as in Walt Disney, for the slow people)

Geez. Didn't you guys ever go to disneyland?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I believe it has a Monkey in it which also turns into a skeleton in the moonlight. Not exactly Monkey Island now is it? (I think LEC would get bombed if it ever showed cruelty to Monkey's, it was almos bankrupt because of the whole JoJo Sr scenario (anyone else notice that Jojo Sr makes up one half of the fake Elaine at the end of SOMI, so he couldn't have been left hanging there to die?).)

IMDb is based on user submissions and is not 100% reliable, something which is proven here. The Scary Movie 2 note I'm guessing refers Drunken Monkey stance in EMI (based on the dozens of posts about that on various MI message boards), which is probably again is a reference to a kung-fu movie.

Not understanding the reference jokes in a Monkey Island game can prove hazardous to your health, and opens you up to be made fun of. For instance my friend Bill had never heard the classic pirate shanty "Blow the man down," and when he finally did hear it (actually, he only heard the MST3K parody "slow the plot down") he wondered why on earth they were making a reference to the Rumm Rogers theme from the drinking game on Phatt Island.

My point being, if a joke appears in Monkey Island and also somewhere else, odds are Monkey Island is referencing it instead of the other way around, or they're both making reference to some third thing that you've never heard of. While Monkey Island's jokes and scenes are top class, they're pretty much the bottom rung on the global pop culture reference ladder.

In my opinion, even Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl, while sharing many things in common with Monkey Island, made zero intentional references to the game. Instead, they both drew on the POTC ride from Disneyland, and the general rules of a good adventure story (goodness, you're telling me theres a good pirate and a bad pirate and a woman in distress? gasp they must be the same!). Of course, I wouldn't be completely blown away if in a list of 20 odd things, the production designers listed the art of Monkey Island, but that's unlikely (and what's even less likely than that is that the screenwriters and director threw MI references into the jokes and characters). You never know, though.

... Unless Remi interviews someone.

- From Jake using Sarah's computer.

What the freak was that star wars Ep1 references emi? It came out before it. as did a lot of the things on that list. The only thing I can think of is the guybrush standing at the wall with the monkey shadow, and everyone could see that that was parodying episode 1, not the other way around.

Joshi you tool, "References" means that EMI contains references of the movies / games on the list. The only film IMDB claims to have actually refered to EMI is Scary Movie 2. And for all that means, it could just be that someone has a PS2 and a collection of games in his room, and if you pause the dvd and zoom in you can see EMI among them.

Hee Jake, that happened to me re. Blow the Man Down as well. I was at Universals "Islands of Adventure" in Florida, and on the Popeye rapids ride at one point it plays Blow the Man Down. I was like "RUM ROGERS!! OMG!!!" Whoops.

Archived