Home

What do you hate about the harbour?

Benny

The mods are far from clever (some of them) and that's why this problem is so huge >:( 'sides I never said I wasn't coming back :p

It's just quiet now, the relentless renaming appears to have stopped etc.,etc.,

That doesn't mean I'm back here 100% unless (a) you bribe me (b) If I actually become WORTH bribing or © you start spouting technical AGS jargon for me.

Now Andy has made me remember my pride and I have to leave in a huff. Thanks a LOT, andy >:(

*stamps off in a huff*

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No no no no, bad form, miss! I said I was never coming back earlier in the thread and a lot of other things I was just being sarcastic and stupid about. Then I was being sarcastic again and confusing myself. Don't mind me.

*backs into corner apologetically*

Originally posted by Thrik

Natty, you're a week behind aren't you? Your title was last changed days ago and isn't likely to be changed again since people were told not to do it.

Well I haven't posted for a few days, it's not like I post here everyday is it? :rolleyes: I've been busy having a life off the internet, which considering so many of you are taking this place so seriously one wonders whether some of you have a life off the net.

I'm in the process of planning on replacing some of my friends since they're crap actually. At least I know where I stand with at least 4 of them now. Have no time for them they can get f*cked as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I thought the harbor was supposed to be about spam and general chit-chat? Unless I have a different interperatation of chit-chat, I honestly don't see the problem :confused: I mean other than the 10monkey topics or whatever they were?

Spam is, for example, posting a link to a "WOT COLOR R U" site and telling everyone else to post their result. It isn't a discussion or "chit-chat", it's just everyone posting their results.

And yes, I guess you do have a different opinion of what spam is. "Unfortunately" the people who run this forum think differently and aim to change it.

Well, I'm all for compromise, but I'm under the impression that a lot of non mods actually like doing those tests. Surely there's a way of compromising on the situation without us non mods feeling like we're being bullied or whatever, which if we begin to feel like that people will carry on with the "the mods are being nazis again" which in turn irritates you guys and it goes around in circles.

On another board I post on, there were all these what were called "survivor" topics on music or movies or whatever (kinda like the game show survivor) anyway, a lot of people got irritated coz they didn't wanna see/read these topics, so a new sub forum was created called polls and voting. Maybe you guys could look at doing something similar for those threads? Surely it's a compromise? Everyone is happy? Since I don't seem to mind those sorts of posts, I'm quite happy to mod that section if needed. It's just a suggestion that's all. I'm trying to suggest a compromise without getting into a slagging match.

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

Stuff like this and this too.

I really don't see how my birthday CD was spam. I thought it was quite interesting really, to go back over the years and see what was #1 on my past birthdays and all it was, was sharing that with people.

My idea of spam is stuff like

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104692

the worlds biggest monkey island fan

And then of course the topics that were closed.

I'm trying to compromise with everyone here. I agree, these tests that people posted did have a certain amount of entertainment value to them and I really think that they could be included somewhere (if not on the games forum, then a separate forum, a polls a voting forum, like Natty said) I have all respect for the mods here as I am one and we must stick together but we also must thing about what's best for the members here. LF is providing a service for entertainment, so obviously we have to keep these people entertained and they have different ways of doing that. They find entertainment in doing little internet polls and test, the find entertainment in that whole #1 hit thing (I actually like that, just didn't have anything to say about it). And we need to find a balance between that and other topics which aren't just general chit chat. Natty, you've been here a long time and you remember what it was like and you've even said that a lot of stuff here is spam; well that is what was trying to get rid of. Are really happy in a forum where people want to talk about North American monkeys because they're bored. I was going to post that Jurassic park thing ages ago (it came on TV and got me thinking) but didn't because I feared what would happen to it, would it go completely off topic in a few threads?

Yes, the Harbour is about off topic banter, but keep it civil and at the same time fun.

This thread here is simply here to try and come up with a common good and make everyone happy. We can't please everyone, but we're trying to please the majority. Natty, you have to admit, spam on this forum has gotten bad and should be stopped, but we are still trying to keep a certain amount of laid backness to this forum as well, we're not running a prison, or a school, we're running a forum.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

Here's a little friendly advice. Whining to admins isn't going to help your case any.

False advertising. I want a refund.

Personally, I just would love to see something decided on, and then some consistency. I hope "closing topics for own amusement" isn't one of those things settled on, but if it must be, then I'd at least like to know, so I can expect it. ^.^

edit: Not that I'm saying the above necessarily has happened, just that was my impression. YMMV. ;)

I was a mod around here at one point due to my role in the BSBC, but due to the spammy nature of the site I thought it wasn't really worth reading the topics or bothering to moderate the place. This was also the reason I did everything I could to stop the milegend forums merging here as well. I see this as a offtopic forum with a MI forum attached as someone has already posted.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Quote of Neil's entire post edited for space's sake

I think the best solution is to create a polls/voting section, at least then all those "what colour are you?" type things can be posted there. Like I said I would be more than happy to mod that forum, because I for one don't mind those sort of things.

**note, thanx to whoever edited my post, I meant to delete some of Neil's quote but forgot, whooooops**

In one of my last posts I used a quote from a movie (Ever After with Drew Barrymore to be exact) which I thought was pretty fitting to describe what's going on here at the moment. (although I can't find that post now. Oh well)

>

Basically what I'm trying to say is that when the 3forums merged together, no one said anything about the spam that was going on then. It might not have been very obvious but it was there. Now, months later you want to turn around and punish those for something they've been brought up on? (the spam) If you were that concerned about the spam, you should have all put a stop to it when it was first becoming a problem months ago, not months later whe it's now an obvious problem. Pointed out ages ago that it was spam, so at least people understood that. Now while you're closing down topics and being good mods, I get the impression that people don't understand why topics are being closed as similar topics haven't been closed in the past.

You'll have to forgive me if this is sort of rambling, I know what I'm trying to say, I'm just not doing a very good job of explaining it.

Originally posted by Thrik

"Unfortunately" the people who run this forum think differently and aim to change it.

Thats what I said before, being a moderator should be about working to make things better for the common users happiness, meaning if the members like it, it = good. not, if the members dont mind it, and mods dont like it, it = bad. remember, look at the member inside you. ;)

Time change, people change

I knew this forum was going to change when we mixed everything, and the mixing killed alot of things that made the Harbor fun to read

anyways, Im leaving too, I honestly don't know why im here, never really was funny or brought anything different to be reconize...

Nice to know u all

Enjoy life

Archived