Home

Sierra VS LucasArts

Calapuno

LucasArts' characters were more charming (and memorable)...

I mean, aside from Larry Laffer there were no characters I would call "unforgettable". On LEC's side there's Guybrush and Elaine, Indiana Jones (OK, he has the whole franchise behind him), Manny, Ben, Bernhard, Hoagie and the Tentacles... I mean, they are waaaay cooler.

Plus, LucasArts was always better on the technology side. I mean, Scumm games always looked... "rounder" and more "straightforward"... to me. Sierra tried to use the whole "digitized actor" stuff, which always looked terrible, whereas LEC used more stylized and hand-pixeled characters. In Sierra games text was always displayed in a separate window (I HATED that... really), unlike Scumm, with its great "line by line" way.

You know, the only Serria game i got into was Space Quest. How can you say Roger Wilco wasn't a memorable charachter? he was so stupid. I never got into the other ones like Leasure Suit Larry or Kings quest, though I did play some of the Police Quest games. The one thing I did enjoy about Serra games was that you could die, they had some of the funniest death messages in Space Quest. In LEC games you cant die, but you can spend 20 hours running around hoping to find the right combination or the right spot on the screen to click. See when I died I would remember not to do that again, even though I would several times. Some LEC games I would literally spend hours walking around getting fusterated because i couldnt figure out what to click where. I dont know if im just a bad adventure gamer, it didnt happen all the time, just occasionaly.

I've always preferred the graphics in LEC games, and the characters are so....enjoyable to interact with. I mean, off the top of my head, there's not one LEC caracter I can think of, who didn't have something about them I disliked.....

well....

Maybe Bernard the cook from MI2, but that's it...

Out of these two I'd certainly pick LucasArts. I don't think that LucasArts is the best game producing company though. If I had to choose between Blizzard and LucasArts things would be a little bit tougher. But Sierra? What have they done except maybe for Half-Life (including all the add-ons)?

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo

You know, the only Serria game i got into was Space Quest. How can you say Roger Wilco wasn't a memorable charachter? he was so stupid. I never got into the other ones like Leasure Suit Larry or Kings quest, though I did play some of the Police Quest games. The one thing I did enjoy about Serra games was that you could die, they had some of the funniest death messages in Space Quest. In LEC games you cant die, but you can spend 20 hours running around hoping to find the right combination or the right spot on the screen to click. See when I died I would remember not to do that again, even though I would several times. Some LEC games I would literally spend hours walking around getting fusterated because i couldnt figure out what to click where. I dont know if im just a bad adventure gamer, it didnt happen all the time, just occasionaly.

mind you sierra quest adventures are generally harder than the LucasArts adventures...all you're saying is you had difficulties with LEC adventures....you must have been using a walkthrough on sierra adventures then..

I loved the Manhunter series as well. Conquest of the Longbow is incredible too. There is a great fan made game (an exception for fan games) Space Quest: The Lost Chapter. It happens between SQ2 and SQ3 I believe. Is really great. I wonder if exists tools for making Scumm games as there are for the AGI.

Sure that Lucasarts wins with their famous MI1, IJ3 etc. But some of Sierra leaves the latter (and not so) Lucasarts very behind I think.

LucasArts produced only a small number of extremely well-polished games. Sierra churned out tons of games in different franchises. Granted, they were often hit-and-miss, but there was a constant supply of new games.

Take your pick.

@lash:

That SQ-fangame was made using a tool called Adventure Game Studio (or short AGS). Though it was originally designed to create games in Sierras AGI-style there are now several "template-GUIs" available to mimic the "Monkey Island 2" Scumm-GUI and even the "Monkey Island 3" coin-GUI.

For a while I was thinking about making a Monkey Island fangame (there have been a few, but they all weren't that good). I wanted to make a game to link Monkey Island 1 and 2 (since the link from 2 and 3 would be a little too hard...). So that it starts where MI1 lefts off, and ends with Guybrush sitting at the campfire with Bart and Fink, telling them the story of him defeating the evil LeChuck... again... so the game would tell the story how Guybrush changed into the "man" he is in MI2 (the beard, the coat, the attitude) and how he meets Bart and Fink, and of course a huge adventure around all of that.

Well, that was the plan. But I don't think I will ever have enough time to do it...

I guess someone did it already. It is called Monkey Island: The Devil's Triangle. It is not very bad. The jokes aren't bad, the only thing is that it is heavy filled of them.

Maybe you can take advantage on the fact that the story sucks a little and it was made with Click & Play I suppose. It doesnt look like a Lucasarts at all.

I dont remember the site but using Google Im sure youll find it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have actually thought up a better idea that could be used for a MI fangame.

A prequel... starring LeChuck.

If you think about it, it could actually work. Remember the scene in MI3 where LeChuck is telling Guybrush about what happened before the events of MI1? About how he discovers Big Whoop and how he kills Marleys crew, etc etc?

Well we could have a game based on that story of his and we could visit a lo-res Blood Island etc, and the scene where he trades the Goodsoup diamond to King Andre. It'll be amazing.

Btw If anyone does make this in the future be sure to give me credit or else I'll kill you.

Originally posted by Marek

LucasArts produced only a small number of extremely well-polished games. Sierra churned out tons of games in different franchises. Granted, they were often hit-and-miss, but there was a constant supply of new games.

Take your pick.

That's right. I guess Sierra published at least 50 adventure games from early 80s to nowadays. Obviously they were less 'commercial' than LEC ones, what I mean is that each serie was directed to a particular kind of people, so there were kid games like Eco Quest, or Adventure RPG like Hero Quest, or comic adventure like Space Quest, just a matter of taste, while LEC games are mostly pure graphic adventure games (beside Indiana Jones which was an Adventure/Action game). And, yes, they were sometimes boring (in King Quest you can't do anything without dieing first, and that's NOT much fun).

Gabriel Knight is undoubtely the best of all Sierra production, but I guess that's mainly for the great story that is behind the game and not only for the fact that Sierra made a great job with it.

Originally posted by Marek

Take your pick.

And if LEC did that we'd be stuck with Full Throttle, Hell on Wheels. Do you want that?

Archived