Home

The Monkey Island Series failed with a "Curse": READ ME

The Series is dead according to the original fans  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The Series is dead according to the original fans

• Of course it is, I don't know why anybody cares anymore
    • The the original fans, Yes, others, possibly
    • Could well be
    • No, never, how could you write such a horrible article!!!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

different people think different things are funny, so in the end this is all a battle of opinions which is of course pointless except to flame. let's just all agree we love monkey island in its entirety and there will never be another adventure game that holds a candle to ron and tim's masterpiece.

:)

much love,

burger

MI1 and MI2 are OLD they can compete with their gameplay but never with the look and feel of MI3 and MI4, there are voices and better sound for christ sake.

would you stop compering the games THEY'RE ALL GREAT GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, i wanna continue. Basically, I also found EMI made me laugh, at least enough to make me play it again a few times, just to hear or see certain things, "Aren't you the founding members of keelhaul, the worlds loudest pirate sped metal band?". Dominic armato is the king of doing voices and acents (next to Billy West and John DiMaggio, and Dan Castlenetta, and all the rest).

CMI and EMI had a different comedy style to the first two, but were still funny, MI1 and 2 were just a lot more daring with it's surreal humour, whereas the caroony style of CMI and EMI seemed to be focused more for a younger audience and therefore had to tone down a lot of the great humour that was in the first two games. Truly a unique comedic duo such Tim and Ron can never be matched so we shouldn't try, I mean, would you have liked CMI with 'attempted' Ron/Tim humour, I think they played it safe with the new softer style of humour and still came up with a great game. And EMI just carried this on in there game, and although not as good as it's predecessor, still managed to kick ass as an adventure game.

I still found EMI fairly funny, but I didnt like the humour so much. It was the atmosphere that I really didnt like, compared to the other games it was kinda lacking. It felt too generic, the graphics too dayglow and it just wasnt 'piratey'. CMI could get away with some of its flaws because underneath it all, monkey island game or not, it was an excellent game. EMI is too average to have this advantage.

Originally posted by RemiO

>:

Let's spell it out: :¬:

Saying you're an "original fan" the way a lot of people put it, is like saying that you're better than anybody that played the games a few years after release, or in a different order than they were released.

*finally understanding, and greatly embaressed, sneaks away*

Is it just me or do other people share my opinion about EMIs lack of dialogue. All of the pervious games had tons of lines that made the games replayability much greater. EMIs dialogue were in many ways short and plump.

That thing bothers me the most about EMI.

This was my first basic point

An EXELLENT example is the Indiana Jones Series

The two first graphic adventure games for PC

IJ and the Last Crusade, and IJ and the fate of Atlantis

were GREAT adventure games, then several years later 'Infernal Machine' came out....it was like a first person shooter rather than an adventure game!!!

I just don't want to see this happen to the Monkey Island Series

I don't think we'll have to worry about that happening to the MI series.

See, Indiana Jones walking around shooting people/things I can see, very easily. His character lends himself to the idea.

But Guybrush walking around shooting people/things? No no no. I can barely see him handling a gun, much less using it. Who would he shoot, anyway? LeChuck? I couldn't even see him turning a gun on his arch-rival. As an accident, a desperate last-ditch attempt to save his own life maybe, but even then... It's too much of a stretch for his character. I doubt we'd ever see that happen.

I meant more of a collecting treasures to get points thing, i mean, look at the Previous Indiana Jones Games (last crusade and fate of Atlantis) they were Secret of Monkey Island, LéChucks revenge, Loom, etc games-Using Mental Logic and not just walking around (like in EFMI and IJIF)

On the whole, I agree with Nick on this topic, though many of his small details kinda turn me off to the idea. For example - saying that the new children of today will not enjoy the MI1 and MI2 graphics is, in my opinion, false. I Started my life with MI1, then MI3, MI4, then MI2. I consider that I grew up more on newer graphics, with nicely scuplted people and fine voices. In my opinion, MI1 and MI2 are 2 of a dead breed of games. I enjoyed these bits.

I also will disagree that Guybrush never had anything for Elaine. Personally, it was obvious that Guybrush would be all over Elaine when the time presented itself - but - Elaine made sure it didnt. Just some thought.

Farewell,

Ernil

Hmm, did no one else noticed this was in the wrong forum? Moving.

And Nick, you can't get everyone to agree with you on this, so don't sulk when people dissagree. I think of myself as a true Monkey Island fan. No, I wasn't there from the beginning, no I didn't play them in order and no I didn't hate CMI or EMI, I actually liked them. This doesn't make me less of a fan though, do you nkow what makes a fan, a fan is someone who likes the subject, in this case, the subject being Monkey Island. I love Monkey Island, that's all it takes.

I've been with the series since the beginning, and I don't see it as being "screwed" with CMI.

I agree with what Thrik said. It's a departure form the original two, but it is still a great game, both as a Monkey Island and as a game on its own.

What happened with EMI is that it tried too hard to be related to the original, and thus only veterans to the series would laugh at the jokes, assuming they were even funny...

EMI was a lot easer than the first 2 (inci, i played t games in order, bt not that long ago and t graphics bothered me most in CoMI [i seem to be unique]) but t humer was still there and the voices arnt a bad step forward (exept otis's and stan doesnt speek fast enough).

Oh, an i think EMI was suppost to hav a bit of a non-piratety feel.

hi, i'm french, so sorry for my poor english, i wish you will understand me...

i think that the best monkey island is mi2. my dream is that mi5 has an adventure as long as the mi2... the curse of monkey island was a good game, but not like the 2 first mi. the appearence of guybrush was the best in mi2. i can't find the word to decribe in english what i prefer in mi2, and 1, but i've played at mi1 when i was 8 year old and i will never forget the moments i spend on my amiga 500. i wish mi5 looks like mi2...

Mine is kind of a unique case. I'm not really one way or another (That does not have anything to do with gender). When I was about 4, My Cousin had MI2 and I watched him play it, but only remebered the name and a few other aspects of it. Then a few years ago I saw EMI and remembered the name, and decided to play it. I loved the game, and got CMI for my birthday (which was a few weeks after i got EMI) and I loved that even more. Then a few months after, I got hold of MI1 & MI2, and although I was a little turned off by the graphics at first, i got over it and learned to love the graphics, and found them to be very funny and well designed games (except the ending of MI2, but this isn't what I'm talking about). So I guess I am kind of an "original" Monkey Island fan, in the sense that I had contact and liked MI2 not long after it first came out, but I'm also kind of a "2nd geneation" fan because it was the new MI games that really got me into MI.

Not that i'm crediting myself as being better than all the "2nd generation" fans. I consider myself to be a "2nd gen." fan because I don't like the way some of the "original fans" treat us like we don't know what we're talking about. I mean, just because you were heavily into MI when it first came out, doesn't mean you can completely disregard the other two games. I don't like the way you "first gens." have to divide everyone up into two groups, and then argue accordingly. We all love MI, that's why we're here, isn't it? And just because some of us wern't around when the game first came out (which was not their fault), the "original" fans feel although you are superior to the "2nd gens." Let's not classify each other, that leads to arguements.

Okay, now that i've got that off my chest, i'd like to say a few more things.

Some of you have been talking like the series ended once Ron Gilbert left, and that the next two games were just mindless babble. You obviously need a few things spelt out for you:

Secret of Monkey Island: Good

LeChucks Revenge: Good

Curse of Monkey Island: Good

Escape from Monkey Island: Not so Good

I hope you have been enlightned by this explanation you have obviously needed. The way you say that they should have stopped the series when Ron Gilbert left, makes me think you have missed one vital point. If they hadn't done CMI, then the flame that has kept MI going for all these years would have burnt out. And where would Monkey Island be then? It would just be another washed up old adventure game that has been forgoten by everyone save those who were there to begin with, you "original fans". In my opinion, when the decision was made to make CMI, Monkey Island was given a second chance to appeal to a new generation of gamers, the "2nd generation fans", and as we can see by the large number of us here, i'd say it worked. Heck, I'd bet that if one of the administrators did a background search or something, I think they'd find that the larger percentage of us are "2nd gen. fans".

And you're trying to tell me that the 2nd two games were pointless and shouldn't have been made? I think you need to get up and look around at the affect they've had.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived