Home

The 153425th EMI topic (this one's about replayability)

scabb

I didn't think EMI was a terrible game - I found it to be poor, but not terrible. But that's not the point!

The point is, I never actually replayed it. I tried, but I couldn't really get into it, it was uncomfortable and itched. I mean, I've played the first two games countless times, and I've definitely replayed CMI at least three or four times, but EMI doesn't want to go again.

The question is, does anyone else hear the same voices in their head, screaming "Turn back, Don't Install" whenever they reach into the EMI box and pull out the CD case?

I find it impossible to replay, yes. Once I begin, the dialogue and gameplay does not appeal to me like it does in the previous games. I don't want to go through the same conversations with everyone again and such.

This is not true for the older games though. In fact, I'm replaying CMI right now and I thoroughly enjoy speaking to every characters and interacting with things like I did when I first got the game. With EMI I barely got into the game a second time before I just put it down and uninstalled it.

I've replayed it at least twice, that I can remember. All the way through, I mean.

The main barriers to replayability for me are:

1. EMI being incompatible with my onboard video, which means I have to go through a complicated startup sequence that takes at least ten minutes. And when playing the game it's a little sluggish, with screens taking around a second to load and lagging keyboard controls.

This is a problem with my outdated computer, not the game. Still, I think EMI's the buggiest adventure game LucasArts have ever released.

2. Monkey Kombat. Monkey bloody Kombat.

Apart from these issues, the game is as good as all the others. The jokes are still funny, the puzzle-solving engaging and all the right little touches are there.

I've never found replay an issue with EMI. I've replayed it about three times now, all the way through (or nearly all the way through) and it seems like every time I do I find something in the game I missed. Just little things usually, throwaway bits of dialogue, but I like finding them all the same.

Of course, now I have a huge issue with replaying the game because it was on the hardrive that keeled over. But technical issues aside...I still like the game. I haven't replayed it as many times as the first two (mainly because I can do other things while playing MI1 and 2, whereas EMI monopolizes my computer, pretty much), but I still like it.

I've played it twice through, and then once more just up to the Monkey Kombat part. That was a year ago, and I haven't really touched it since, slightly unlike the first three.

EDIT: Except sometimes I go to my saved game in the Pirate Transmogrification Center and take the test over. :D

Ive played it through at least 3 times, and it does get a little boring, especially the start with the cataplault and stuff... the game ruined Melee for me so it hurts to be there, lol.

And the bit in the Lua Bar bores me too, but otherthan that its still not too bad to play over.

Originally posted by RemiO

I've replayed it a few times, and started playing the PS2 version yesterday.

I expect a full and frank report detailing each and every change, no matter how small.

I have actually replayed the game - but I've only finished it once, because I generally get bored when I reach Monkey Island. The second time through I made a walkthrough stopping at Monkey Kombat, which may have ruined it I suppose - although I wrote walkthroughs for #1 and #2 as well. The third time I got to Lucre and just lost interest at the swamp.

I expect that if I see the PS2 version cheap, I'll snap it up and play it through, if only to look at the box art with shifty :¬: eyes. It'd also be interesting to see what's changed, but, as previously discussed, Remi is kindly documenting that for us.

I know I played the demo at least four times too - I guess the main game didn't have enough "personality", the conversations all revolved around issues such as "catching up" and there were really no exciting new characters. Which could be another thread, making 153426.

Well, there certainly are more differences than I was expecting, though not man huge ones. I will document them. ; I bought my copy used from EB and it didn't come with the original cover - in retrospect I think that was a good thing.

If you live in the UK or Europe, the PS2 box art looks like the PC version box art. The PC box art was not the greatest painting ever, but it wasn't the worst, either.

In the US, you get a horrendous ugly-looking thing with Guybrush and Elaine horribly grimacing while fighting off a horde of monkeys with a gun and a rubber chicken.

Comparisons:

US PS2 box art

UK PS2 box art

Aha! We've hit the truth here. I often times replay MI1 and MI2, at least 3 times a year. These games are always beautiful, fun, and humorous. MI4, on the other hand, does not capture my attention as closely. I think we can all say that it is very replayable, considering it IS a Monkey Island game, yet, it just didn't work out. I felt anxious to beat the game when I replayed, vs. the usual dread of finishing MI1 and MI2. The parts with Little Guybrush and Little LeChuck bored me, considering it takes amazingly long to find the right rock. Monkey Combat also bored me. I would often times focus out and find myself sitting at a table with a sandwich when I am supposed to be doing Monkey Combat. The converstations don't hold me as tightly, but, then again, nothing will ever comare with the beginning 2 games.

Iv'e played all four games twice and have just recently finished EMI ( cos Iv'e just left school and seemed like the best thing to spend my time doing). I see what you mean about the replayability but I have no intention to replay any of them again yet. One day I may just get an urge and that will be the time.

come to think of it the wost part for me was no Monkey Kombat or the ending ( didn't have that much of a problem with them) but the puppeteer with the puppets just really bugged me for some reason. eurghh

• 2 weeks later...

Archived