Home

Runaway crashed to desktop

I've just reunited with the girl (can't remember her name) in the Hopi willage (level 5) and when I go to the "unexplored area" after the scripted sequence where the guy is running fast over the bridges etc. the game crashed to the desktop. Does anyone know if this is a known bug?

Heh heh :p , not to be annoying but don't you think that now that you've gotten so far into the game you should know the characters' names by now?

EDIT: Jeezus Cripes! I was just at the official site's forum, looking for any possible links to a patch for you, and noticed how many people were complaining about the many bugs in the game! I even saw our own emma and Swordmaster there! I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth my time to get this game, what with waiting over a year for its North American release. And they still haven't released an official patch?! :mad:

Jeez! Some of us ain't nowhere near even being able to purchase this game yet due to constantly postponed release dates and an inability to understand Spanish or German (yes, Jaf, I know it's been long enough now and I should have learned something at least :rolleyes: ), and you guys turn up complaining about such miniscule hiccups as bugs in the game. At least you managed to get so far, it's a darn sight farther than many of us. :rolleyes:

Or to put it another way: Sorry, I have no idea. I can't help. ;)

Oddish,

What you've encountered is a known bug in the crack. (Yes, I know you're using the recent release by Deviance.) They rushed the release, and their crack didn't entirely remove all the copy protection. As a result, everyone crashes at that exact moment in Chapter 5.

You'll need to download the "final crackfix" by Immersion which fixes the bug, as well as allows you to properly ALT-TAB within the game. You should be able to find it at any number of websites.

-- Tycho

Originally posted by tycho55

Oddish,

What you've encountered is a known bug in the crack. (Yes, I know you're using the recent release by Deviance.) They rushed the release, and their crack didn't entirely remove all the copy protection. As a result, everyone crashes at that exact moment in Chapter 5.

You'll need to download the "final crackfix" by Immersion which fixes the bug, as well as allows you to properly ALT-TAB within the game. You should be able to find it at any number of websites.

-- Tycho

I have no idea what you're talking about. Deviance and Immersion, who are they?

Thanks for the information! ;)

Originally posted by Homoludens

EDIT: Jeezus Cripes! I was just at the official site's forum, looking for any possible links to a patch for you, and noticed how many people were complaining about the many bugs in the game! I even saw our own emma and Swordmaster there! I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth my time to get this game, what with waiting over a year for its North American release. And they still haven't released an official patch?! :mad:

And you haven't even seen the bugs encountered in the Benelux... ;)

But from what I've heard (don't know how true this is) it is a bug only encountered in copies of the game indeed... So, buy the real thing if you haven't already... :p O, wait... it wasn't released in Engish, so ppl started copying so they can play the friggin game... :D

Well, just so that you know I did buy my copy, so it's as legal as it can get! ;) Still problematic though. And the codec problem mentioned is an "easy" one to fix once you know what to do. What worries me is the potential new customers to our genre who doesn't have the habit to cruise the net finding patches and stuff... Would be a shame if it turns out to be a game that doesn't draw people in, as I see it.

Right now I'm going nuts about the audio. It keeps stuttering, and no matter what I do, it prevails. Been reading on the net that it gets worse further along in the game! *sigh* I urge everybody who's got it and has had problem to mail the support. Hopefully there'll be a patch out at least.

Emma, that's a new problem for me... I heard black movies, inverted movies, slow movies, crashes (h2 and h5), meshed up graphics on some parts of the game... :rolleyes:

Luckily I had *only* problems with the inverted movies throughout the whole game... Too bad I finished it already... :o

:mad: This is moronic! You'd think by now that Pendulo would have released an official patch! Why even do business with them when they can't even support their own customers, and in a prompt manner? Instead we have to grovel and search on our own for fixes, and even then we run the risk of screwing things up because those fixes aren't guaranteed.

emma, have you emailed them and complained? Firefoot, have you? Oddish? tycho55? You guys must let them know you're upset over this. I myself refuse to have to wait 2 years for a game, only to find it bug-ridden and unplayable after spending $30-$50 for it! :mad:

Originally posted by Firefoot

Luckily I had *only* problems with the inverted movies throughout the whole game... Too bad I finished it already... :o

Wow! You stuck with it, even though it was inverted? *admires Firefoot's patience*

emma, have you emailed them and complained?

Yeah, two mails actually. One about the upside down vids and today another about the audio. It's a really nice guy, he finally replied on my inverted-problem today, and he got rewarded with yet another mail! Hopefully it'll lead to a patch, if more people do so. Well, providing more people actually HAVE that problem of course! We'll see if he have a fix for the sound! *keeping my fingers crossed*

Something positive though should have said that earlier a little better, in the box there's a pamphlet and they have set up support-mail addresses for each country it is released in, in Scandinavia. Which does send a message that they do tend to take care of the customers! It was a Swedish guy that replied to mine, so I'm figuring they have this sort of thing set up everywhere. :) However, I doubt very much this is a long-term arrangement.

*siiiiiiiiigh* jpshakehead.gif

Homes,

tycho is saying that *Deviance* rushed the release of their crack for Runaway. A crack, for those not in the "know," is an unofficial patch to a program used to circumvent the original's copy-protection. (To be fair, some are used simply to make the game run off the HD for speed.) For many games, simply burning it onto a CD-R won't work -- they have ways of detecting that, apparently, so cracks basically erase the detection algorithm from the .EXE file.

So, Deviance rushed the release of their *crack*, which in this case meant that they didn't playtest the cracked version, and didn't notice that they *introduced* a bug.

Originally posted by AGemma

Wow! You stuck with it, even though it was inverted? *admires Firefoot's patience*

:o Oops... I meant that inverted movies were the only problem I had with the game in total... luckily I managed to solve this problem before playing the game (since I solved it while playing a German demo... ;))...

I mailed GMX about the postponed release date... but they didn't reply... I'll mail Media Mix Benelux about the encountered problems... good idea Homoludens! I'll direct them to the problems section of the Runaway forums too... maybe they can help people out... :)

Archived