Home

CTF Camper

Tosh_UK

I was playing CTF on Saturday, the team I was playing on had loads of flag runners so decide to flag guard. was on besbin shafts, and most of the time I would kick them off as they try to run though, or a simple pull if they try jumping across. well they had a rage runner and I was on dark force, so a simple grip was all I needed. well after so many attempts from this guy he then got frustrated and call me a camper... for 2 sec I had to check I had a lightsaber as I might of been playing CS lol

anyone else ever been called a camper in CTF as its a new one on me.

yeah, two things I don't get about ctf players.

1-They hate camping (bridge+pull whoring can get annoying but it goes both ways as I see it).

2-Chat killing is a big no no.

keep in mind I'm not talking noobs, I mean like league and ladder players get pissed over this just as bad.

Why others find it ok to let a person stroll into your base and be "off limts" because they are having a conversation 5 feet from your flag is beyond me but I see it all the time on the competitive ctf servers.

must be an inside thing I never caught on to.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

yeah, two things I don't get about ctf players.

1-They hate camping (bridge+pull whoring can get annoying but it goes both ways as I see it).

2-Chat killing is a big no no.

JKO seems to be cursed. There is nothing somebody doesn't complain about.

I speedx3 into the enemies base last night and their flag guard was chatting so I grabbed the flag and ran. He tagged me as I went out the door. So next time I came into their base he was chatting again so I killed him 1rst.

"Chat Killin Newb!" he yells.

What the F*** over?

Originally posted by griff38

JKO seems to be cursed. There is nothing somebody doesn't complain about.

I guess that goes with any popular game :( If you get a large amount of people into any game, they're all going to have different ideas on what's acceptable.

That's why football has referees remember? ;) Because one person's tackle is another person's hack.

Still, I've got to say - if you're going to stand around and natter, you're going to get sliced. I mean, you wouldn't do it in a CTF paintball match would you? :rolleyes:

B.

I have only one thing i complain about, thats using the rocket bug.

and then they say its part of the game...

all else gos in my books.

tell you one thing they hate in CTF that grip kicking.. me fav move

get called all sorts of names for using it.

Originally posted by griff38

EDIT: What he said.

next time ya playing pull ya rocket out lock on to a player then swap to ya saber... the lock will still be on the player, switch back to the rocket and fire normaly (left click) the rocket will fire at the normal un homed rocket speed and only cost 1 rocket plus will still home in to lock target.

edit: PLUS u dont need to be facing the target to fire

or once locked and switched to saber let the player run off, then follow him as you can follow the red target dot as you will see it no matter where he gos

Originally posted by [fk]mediablitz

Yeah, CTF players in general do hate people who stand on the bespin bridge and pull people who run by on their speed routes. But i've never seen a good player bitch about a chat kill in a CTF game.

i think they complain as is gets frustrating, but then again i am a absorb runner and count on them players on topping my force up on the way :)

I've been called a camper plenty of times :D As for chat killing here is my "policy" If they are in my base, anywhere, they are fair game. If they are in the middle, they are mine for the taking. If they are in my path... they are most likely going to be dead. If they are by their flag, they are definitly dead. And, if they have the flag, they are SOOOO DEAD :p The only times I don't chat kill is if they are off in some corner not bothering anyone. And where is that? Well there is only one place left, that is in their base :) So... what is the moral of this story? Everyone should stay in their own base so no one will get killed ;)

Well if you play bespin you are going to have to deal with pull just like every other ctf level. In warring you can take toosexy's route of falling down to the left side then jumping back up to the middle route and continueing on while avoiding your opponents which is almost impossible to stop. In temple you always want a force field to avoid pull. Also about the mid player, its essential in ctf to have a mid control cap routes. So usually both teams would have someone in the middle to harrass cappers into going cap routes that they do not wish to or get pulled to death. The mid would also have opponent mids harass them into losing the mid.

Bespin also would use a perimeter defense on the right side of the flag in the long corrider near the repeater combined with a flag defense guy with a flechette right in the flag doorway. The perimeter would start shooting and the flag guy would start pulling to pull off ragers and slow down absorbers. If the mid fails make the enemy cappers come through this other route with the repeater and the capper comes the sniper route which is highly unlikely with the pulling from the mid and all, the flag d is by himself and the simple solution is to push off a rager or flechette.

For cracking tough offense a team of 2 cappers is required. They rapidly rage cap+suicide to use up force until they can get the flag. The mid is there to push chasers so that they can't pull. If you use push the pushed guy can't use pull for 1 second giving the capper a chance to move out. A second strategy is to have the mid use team energize once to give the ragers enough force to use one push while from the corridor to flag platform to have enough time to hopefully get away with the flag.

Of course these only work if you have a veteran ctf group playing. If its a bunch of newbs and you want to win, you better go light+absorb and when you jump the hole to the flag platform use push to avoid getting pushed or pulled down and try to get out.

rocket bug
The main reason its used is that it shoots a rocket that moves with the speed of a primary rocket yet homes like a secondary. The normal homing rocket moves at like 1/2 speed. You can easily outrun it with strafe jump without speed or rage.

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

Well if you play bespin you are going to have to deal with pull just like every other ctf level. In warring you can take toosexy's route of falling down to the left side then jumping back up to the middle route and continueing on while avoiding your opponents which is almost impossible to stop. In temple you always want a force field to avoid pull. Also about the mid player, its essential in ctf to have a mid control cap routes. So usually both teams would have someone in the middle to harrass cappers into going cap routes that they do not wish to or get pulled to death. The mid would also have opponent mids harass them into losing the mid.

Bespin also would use a perimeter defense on the right side of the flag in the long corrider near the repeater combined with a flag defense guy with a flechette right in the flag doorway. The perimeter would start shooting and the flag guy would start pulling to pull off ragers and slow down absorbers. If the mid fails make the enemy cappers come through this other route with the repeater and the capper comes the sniper route which is highly unlikely with the pulling from the mid and all, the flag d is by himself and the simple solution is to push off a rager or flechette.

For cracking tough offense a team of 2 cappers is required. They rapidly rage cap+suicide to use up force until they can get the flag. The mid is there to push chasers so that they can't pull. If you use push the pushed guy can't use pull for 1 second giving the capper a chance to move out. A second strategy is to have the mid use team energize once to give the ragers enough force to use one push while from the corridor to flag platform to have enough time to hopefully get away with the flag.

Of course these only work if you have a veteran ctf group playing. If its a bunch of newbs and you want to win, you better go light+absorb and when you jump the hole to the flag platform use push to avoid getting pushed or pulled down and try to get out.

The main reason its used is that it shoots a rocket that moves with the speed of a primary rocket yet homes like a secondary. The normal homing rocket moves at like 1/2 speed. You can easily outrun it with strafe jump without speed or rage.

I use 3 ways of getting the flag in bespin streets first way (is my fav) is on the right side drop from the little window and strif jump on to plat form... second way is the normal jump accros from left side... if these are not working, the 3ed and best way i find is when running down left side keep running forward but as if your going to fall down the pit but hug that wall and strif jump up on to platform when you hit the wall.

As stated on my site in more than one place in so many words, camping is a VITAL and INTEGRAL part of playing CTF.

Now I can see how sometimes it could ruin the game if:

1) It's a non-force game (where Seeing isn't available) and somebody grabs the flag and then goes and hides with it with no intention of capturing.

In this case the admin should give them an ultimatum... either play, or get out, and if they don't play, kick them.

2) Both teams everybody camps constantly and nobody makes a move for either flag. Of course, after a certain number of draws you'd think people would get restless and make a break across the lines, and at least one capture could be possible.

Whining about camping or chat killing in CTF is pretty stupid, considering that teams should use whatever they can (short of cheating) to win, and if the other team isn't paying attention and is badly coorindated, well, too bad for them! To the victor go the spoils....

About the only thing that is truly lame in CTF games are the following:

1) Attacking your own teammates and hogging powerups they need.

2) Pretending it's a deatmatch and ignoring your team in favor of trying to saber duel somebody or just killing yourself over and over and over.

3) Having everybody join the same team to overbalance it in favor of that one (ie: 3 vs. 7). Unless the bigger team is WAY behind in score, this is stupid and pointless, yet I've seen it happen. Autobalance teams is a nice way to stop this from happening.

The only real problem with CTF are people who are bad sports, and the fact that you can't give the bots orders. The latter could be fixed in JA (I hope it is), the former, well, can't, you just have to hope people are more charitable as well as competative.

See my site for more details... ; )

Archived