Home

Scummvm and Broken Sword 1

Interesting little tidbit from the Revolution forums (where I like to lurk); As well as giving the Scummvm people access to the source for Beneath a Steel sky so they could support it, Revolution have apparently given them access to the source to Broken Sword 1 so they can support that too! And so makeing it possibly playable in Linux, MacOS as well as playing better on win200 and Xp

You can read what Tony Warriner said in a thread on the forum here:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_forum.php?neuron=1&topic=734&open=1&page=0

Also, revolution recompiled the exe for Broken Sword 2 to work properly with XP. Mr T (Warriner) asked for volunteers to test it here:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_forum.php?neuron=1&topic=646&open=1&page=3

(not sure if hes still looking; twas a few weeks back)

It would indeed be great to play BS1 & BS2 in linux (and MacOS). The big problem with that is that smacker (the ingame videos use smacker) isn't available for linux unfortunately. I don't know how and if that problem can be fixed.

All hail ScummVM and Revolution!

Yep, but there has been some talk about radtools porting smacker to linux, but then again, ScummVM will probably have to buy a license for both windows and linux-versions if they are going to play that. I don't see that happen.

In other notes, I noticed that BS2 already is in latest CVS code (http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe for the windows daily snapshot. Go here for linux: http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/daily/). I have compiled it on my linux-box, but I couldn't get BS2 to work unfortunately, but it certainly is promising (although I would have preferred it if they had begun with BS1 of course :)).

Originally posted by ragou

It would indeed be great to play BS1 & BS2 in linux (and MacOS). The big problem with that is that smacker (the ingame videos use smacker) isn't available for linux unfortunately. I don't know how and if that problem can be fixed.

All hail ScummVM and Revolution!

We've been given permission to re-release the videos in a different format (probably some form of MPEG4). Because Revolution rock. :)

(I didn't manage to get BS2 to work from the daily snapshot today, but anyway, good work :))

Yeah, well, it's nowhere near ready yet. All the output code (sound and graphics) is missing :)

Originally posted by Ender

Yeah, well, it's nowhere near ready yet. All the output code (sound and graphics) is missing :)

I really didn't expect it to be anywhere near ready. I always run the CVS-version of ScummVM and tries the new things I see (if I have the game that is). I ran CMI when Guybrush's head was reversed and similar strange things.

Keep up the Good Work!

• 4 weeks later...

If someone is interested, the scummvm now lists Broken Sword 2 as completable. I have not been able to do that, the game crashes on me too often while trying to play sounds, but I have been able to play a little in the beginning of the game.

Amazing work by the ScummVM team.

If someone is interested, the scummvm now lists Broken Sword 2 as completable. I have not been able to do that, the game crashes on me too often while trying to play sounds, but I have been able to play a little in the beginning of the game.

Amazing work by the ScummVM team.

Yeah, the 'completable' rating was for a few days ago, before we added sound support in. That only went in recently, and most of the crashes were fixed today - so should be in tommorows snapshots/anon cvs.

I try a new snapshot about once a week, so I didn't hit the best spot to try it, but from what I saw it looks really good.

The only thing I complain about is that my computer is too slow to play in 2xsai-mode and other similar smoothing features. :)

All the Revolution support in ScummVM has suddenly put some adventure games on my plate that I've managed to never play but always wanted to (well not so much "always" wanted to play BS2... but now that I can, I will). Its quite fun :)

Hopefully Revolution will, erm, be nice to the Mac and Linux users somehow when it comes to Broken Sword 3.

I don't want to create any speculation or put Tony on the spot, but we were discussing a while ago open-source alternatives to Bink. If he does go with a non-licensed alternative for the real release (at least on the PC version), then that does remove the main limitation against BS3 being ported to other platforms.

However, it still may never happen. I'd offer to do it myself if my video-card could take the punishment, but alas it can't. If I come across a newer card sometime in the future, I might ask if he's amendable to it.

Depends a lot on what technology the final version goes with (there is a Bink port to Linux and Mac, but it costs additional money to license it for other platforms and I doubt Rev wants to fork out the $$$ for just a few people :), and any restrictions they have imposed by publishing agreements with the console-side of things.

- Ender

ScummVM Dude

Originally posted by Jake

All the Revolution support in ScummVM has suddenly put some adventure games on my plate that I've managed to never play but always wanted to (well not so much "always" wanted to play BS2... but now that I can, I will). Its quite fun :)

Hopefully Revolution will, erm, be nice to the Mac and Linux users somehow when it comes to Broken Sword 3.

It would be nice if they did something like Neverwinter Nights. NWN just sells one version and lets people download the linux client/engine freely (which is of course rather useless without the actual game) from the net. That would give people the choice to run in the environment they like. The distribution costs for the linux client would be very low that way.

Archived