Home

A mystery about Loom got me crazy

lash

Sorry if I bother but this is screwing up my head. Im new to this forums and I wrote for the following:

I suppose there is a missing room in Loom. Correct me if Im wrong. I tested the 16 colors versions and also the 256 (wich is pretty more poor in terms of story details.) There is like a room in the middle of the glass city that I cannot access. And looking for the room files I note one is missing: 21.lfl. Maybe that room is in a version I dont know. Its not my game that is wrong I suppose cause I never found messages saying 'room not found' or something like that. Simply the character cannot access it. I posted that on the Lucas hacks forum if you want to read it. My question is if that can be? Did you see it on any version? Thanks and sorry for my loosy english...

Opening

Dyeing

Summoning

Tongues

Straw Into Gold

Temblor

Rending

Healing

Night-Vision

Shrinkage

Desire

Waterproofing

Reflection

Terror

Folding

Invisibility

Twisting

Confusion

Shaping

Warmth

Aphrodesia

Sleep

Silence

Emptying

Unmaking

Extinguishing

Sharpening

Blessing

Transcendence

Thats every spell in the game, and I'd say I got the bare minimum when I played. It must be possible to get them all.. but then again, maybe some are in the book partly to throw you off in the game (I mean, if you look in the book and there are only 5 spells you can figure out which one you need very quickly) and partly to add a bit of back-story. Its fun to read the book of spells, right?

Hi,

I've been very dissapointed with the 256-speech version. The lovely music has been cut out on most occasions, the voices are only semi-good and most of the cut-scene photos are lost. I'll stick with the old version.

To your question: Which room do you mean where you can see the hour glasses (I can't see hour glasses at all)?

The room with the bowl? The room with the glass? The cemetery? The whole view when you are coming from the mountain?

Best regards

Meuterer

It's the exterior shot of the whole of the glass city (where you go to cast a spell on the workers in the tower.)

On one side of the shot is the building where the drinking glass made of crystal is, and on the other side is the graveyard and the tower where the scythe is kept. In the corridor between the scythe tower and the Glass Room, you can see the hourglasses.

Yes, thats right. Thats the room, and there is like a staircase even, to get right there. I dont remember if it was a Loom poster or a page of certain magazine, I dont even remember if it was a screenshot or just a drawing (Im almost sure that it was a screenshot) but I've seen those hourglasses and Bobbin standing by them. The poster was in a computer sofware store, many years ago. I really dont know if Lucasarts took it out or it is still there in some version. And I played it in the Expert mode too, but nothing again. I really dont know what is. Thanks for the replies.

It has to be a beta version surely. Or at least a gamma. Im a begginer with ScummVM and I tried to make the program show me the boxes, I cannot see them well. I tried hard to see boxes on the bridge but it has to be a thin line. Maybe that was erased too. I guess I would write coord by coord and draw them on a paper. Scummrev allowed you to see them better but it is not working with Loom right now for what I know.

Originally posted by meuterer

Hi,

I've been very dissapointed with the 256-speech version. The lovely music has been cut out on most occasions, the voices are only semi-good and most of the cut-scene photos are lost. I'll stick with the old version.

Best regards

Meuterer

Yes, for the CD version a lot of dialogue was changed and deleted to fit the audio tracks. The close-ups are gone as well.

Originally posted by ATMachine

Actually the close-ups aren't gone, they just aren't used by the game scripts. They are still buried in the resource files.

You can see some of them here.

unless of course you have the FM Towns version in which case the 256 colour close ups are used in game along with some other graphics not included in the PC CD resources.

oops - I'm sorry - there's no 21.lfl in Loom Fm Towns - I was looking in the Indy3FM by mistake...

but still - I'm interested in ways to explore this rare loom version.

I already noticed the cool closeups that are not used in the pc cdrom version.

Omer Mor.

oops - I'm sorry - there's no 21.lfl in Loom Fm Towns - I was looking in the Indy3FM by mistake...

but still - I'm interested in ways to explore this rare loom version.

I already noticed the cool closeups that are not used in the pc cdrom version.

Omer Mor.

You're right - LoomFM has no voice - only cd music tracks like in the monkey island cd.

I even don't think they're played by an orchestra (like in Indy3FM) - at least not to my ears.

But still I'd love to have a way to explore this rare version's resources without having to play it all over again - my time is a bit limited ...

Yep, it is desirable - it took me about 2 years to get hold of the fm towns versions of zak, indy3 & loom and i'm damn satisfied right now :-)

but i'd be more satisfied when scummvm fully support them (including the japanese versions) or when someone would develop a resource viewer for them.

btw - here is a summary of the advantages of the fm towns versions i have over their pc counterparts:

zak:

256 colors

cd music

the japanese version also has alernate look for the actors - they have bigger eyes!

indy3:

fully orchestrated cd music

loom:

full game (unlike the cut-down pc cd-rom version)

cd music (but no voice acting)

I don't know about the advantages the rest of the fm towns versions offer... anyone?

Originally posted by Omer Mor

I have the FM Towns version of Loom.

there is a 21.lfl room there but I have no way of viewing it other than playing the game (which I will but not soon).

I tried Scumm16, and ScummVM but they don't support the game.

Ideas anyone?

Omer Mor.

ScummVM _does_ support it you just have to be using CVS/snapshot with the loomtowns target. Currently there are some bugs that need to be sorted out like not being able to learn f. You can however use the "drafts learn" debugger command to get all notes and drafts for the time being...

Originally posted by khalek

ScummVM _does_ support it you just have to be using CVS/snapshot with the loomtowns target. Currently there are some bugs that need to be sorted out like not being able to learn f. You can however use the "drafts learn" debugger command to get all notes and drafts for the time being...

Actually I just fixed this you can now learn f and probably finish the game.

Archived