Home

Jedi Academy Released!? (nope)

Smood

i stopped downloading these things once i got over about 17... :D

Seriously though, im not convinced about the point of putting on all the copy protection... in this specific case it would probably have had no effect as it is a pre-release version that probably wouldn't have had it anyway. if i remember rightly about 80% of this stuff was beta stuff as well.

But in general, it never seems to stop the copying.... it just limits it to those few individuals with the resources to crack it (most likely REAL criminals). But the copies still end up out there.

Not only that but there is always some conflict or other with hardware or software that stops legitimate owners using it and they usually end up posting copy-protection removal patches on the support site anyway.... :rolleyes:

I remember how annoyed i got when i excitedly got Half Life home, only to find it wouldn't install. Then i had to find forums to find out it was a known problem, then download a big patch file on a slow connection... took about 2 days to be able to play it. :mad:

I actaully know someone who has it, dont know how he got it, but i will tell you from what i have seen it is a helluva alot more then 60% done. I would say closer to like 95% from waht i have seen. And i dont mind telling you that i wish i did have it, cause it looks like a freaking blast, and omg the speeder bike fighting is soooo cool looking!!

If you want my opinion, this leaked 'beta' has done much more for JA's publicity than anything LucasArts has done so far. The game is just six weeks from release and it wouldn't be on anyone's mind (except for the dwindling JO community) if it wasn't for the 'beta'.

There seems to be a general consensus among almost every single person I've talked to (that has played JA) - they love it! They were planning on buying the game anyway, but now that they've seen it firsthand, they can't wait for release day to go out and grab it.

For Mike, and the rest of Raven: You guys have an amazing game in JA - all you need to do is wrap it up in a nice bugfree bundle and you're set. As you guys go into crunch time (if you aren't in it already), keep this in mind: I really believe that JA will be your best game yet, by far.

For LucasArts: Get your pen and paper handy, because you need a lesson in marketing. Instead of getting your panties in a bunch over the leak, realize that you need to get out there and put JA (and subsequent games) more in the public eye, so they get the attention and marketing they deserve.

Originally posted by jipe

If you want my opinion, this leaked 'beta' has done much more for JA's publicity than anything LucasArts has done so far. The game is just six weeks from release and it wouldn't be on anyone's mind (except for the dwindling JO community) if it wasn't for the 'beta'.

There seems to be a general consensus among almost every single person I've talked to (that has played JA) - they love it! They were planning on buying the game anyway, but now that they've seen it firsthand, they can't wait for release day to go out and grab it.

I don't buy all of this stuff.

First - JA has been featured in previews this week on GameSpy, GameSpot and IGN at least, as well as getting new exposure on 3DGamers. Problem is - LA has 2 games in September, and the PC version of the fastest selling XBox game EVER coming later in the fall. Which reminds me - Galaxies is occupying major mind-share out there right now, and KOTOR just owns the XBox airwaves. So it is hard to see what is happening ... when KOTOR was 6 weeks out there wasn't much more buzz than what we see now for JA.

Second - I don't buy the various industry numbers, but believe that MP3 downloaders HAVE hurt CD sales, movie downloaders HAVE hurt ticket sales (including those Hulk 'previews' that trashed the film based on an unfinished version), and that warez HAVE hurt game sales. I basically believe that a large percentage of people who are currently stealing the beta will have no compunction about stealing the release version. Maybe you and your friends are different than everyone else ...

Mike

Originally posted by Tequila

I actaully know someone who has it, dont know how he got it, but i will tell you from what i have seen it is a helluva alot more then 60% done. I would say closer to like 95% from waht i have seen. And i dont mind telling you that i wish i did have it, cause it looks like a freaking blast, and omg the speeder bike fighting is soooo cool looking!!

How wrong you are. Not to rub it in, but the "beta pre gold" release is REALLY old, and if you knew anything about development you'd know that version while "playable" is far from complete. It is simply a build for Raven to toy around with. One way to see this is the return models, the ones from JO, are exactly the same while we've seen screenshots of the updated versions. Not to mention the large assortment of other "bugs" and things "not in the game". And as support for my statement, here's what a raven employee had to say about the situation.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

If they do have the build I saw in a screenshot, it's an old build (we've done at least 5 or 6 since then) that is incomplete, has unfinished gameplay and is probably pretty buggy. You wouldn't want to ruin your JA experience by playing that version, believe me.

So everyone calm down, it's not even a mid to final beta.

Sad news, this "beta" as they call it has reached the forums of the JK2 community on my country, I have already warned everyone and I hope to stop the distribution of the "game".

No matter if is finished or not is not official, and I will not let it reach the people of "my" forums.

sorry for bad english but I'm shocked :p with the info,

I will do as much as I can here, until an official release bye everyone.

Payne.

"beta gold" is an oxymoron. ; p

I can honestly say, that even if I were not an Admin on these forums, and didn't care about offending Raven/LA, etc. I would still resist the temptation to download the beta.

Why? Because I don't want to be "jaded" by an unfinished game when I could play the real thing later when the bugs have been ironed out.

I didn't download the Doom3 alpha or UT2003 beta for the same reason.

It is also possible that gameplay changes would occur. Remember all the fuss people made when gameplay was modified with the patches? The same thing could happen with the beta. People will play it and then get upset because it's different than the full game, (or worse... decide not to get the game, based on a defect in the unfinished game).

One thing I'm curious about as to these ladders and tournaments that are hurting for attention with JK2... are they by any chance focused on saber battles?

Because from 1.03 to 1.04, the non-saber components of the multiplayer game were hardly touched, and in fact with both patches, other than the lightsaber and some SP bugs, the game remained pretty much the same (heal and drain being exceptions and the amount of ammo used by the secondary Repeater).

Originally posted by Tequila

Dude how would you know when you havent even seen it! I have seen it and it is not some buggy pile. It looks relativley finished from what i have seen and i will definatley buy this one, looks unbelievable.

Pray tell show me where I said I haven't seen it? Hmm? I run a competitve clan kid, you think no one in my clan has it? You think I don't have it? All I've said is that I'm going to buy it no matter what, and trust me, the "pre gold beta" is NOT 90% done, as confirmed by a RAVEN EMPLOYEE. Please try reading and comprehension before you ever jump off the handle at me again. Thank you.

Originally posted by Kurgan

One thing I'm curious about as to these ladders and tournaments that are hurting for attention with JK2... are they by any chance focused on saber battles?

Because from 1.03 to 1.04, the non-saber components of the multiplayer game were hardly touched, and in fact with both patches, other than the lightsaber and some SP bugs, the game remained pretty much the same (heal and drain being exceptions and the amount of ammo used by the secondary Repeater).

Well it's really been a 50/50 thing.

Back when they were in their prime guns/full force were the big thing with team based play and sabers always took center spot in the 1v1 ladders for obvious reasons.

Thing was both 1.03 and 1.04 hurt the competition in different ways.

Saber people loved 1.03 (I'm talking ladder players here people, not pub games) because it was so easy to "get the job done".

Gunners hated it because of the ammo changes to the repeater, one of the most used guns in comp play.

1.04 gave the gunners back their ammo but screwed the saber players.

After a while a lot of people just said screw it and tossed in the towel, both guns and saber players.

Archived