Home

Scumm Bar

hellomoto

The Scumm Bar made monkey island, in MI1 thats where you first found out how to become a pirate, if it wasnt for it, MI would have most probably been a complete failure. The characters there were some of the best the game has ever seen. Now they've got rid of it, for 'The Lua Bar'. Come on, who wants to see that, except some pervert who wants to say the waitresses legs.

The Scumm Bar has to return, especially now that Guybrush lives on Melee, how will it come back.

I hope that its just there at the start of MI5, I dont even wanna see the Lua bar again, too many bad memories, I hope you just find out, that theres been a big fight, and I Cheese just got it back, except its back how it was in the origional MI. Oh, and theres no stupid tourists.

How do you want it to come back? If you want it back at all that is.

You do. Trust me.

If you look closely at the cutscene at the end of EMI, you'll see that LeChuck doesn't blow up, his statue just flies towards teh screen and away. My theory is that LeChuck isn't in there anymore and it's just a statue that lands nicely on the Lua Bar crushing it and with Ozzie gone, it's goes back to I. Cheese who turns it back into the SCUMM Bar. That would at least be plausible.

I liked the Lua Bar, kind of. Two reasons.

1) It's so incredibly ridiculous. I'm familiar with all the stuff they're making fun of: the clothing styles, the "gaijin Japanese", the fakey pseudo-Hawaiian stuff...being rather fond of Japanese AND Hawaiian culture myself, and quite aware that there is a lot to Hawaii besides the touristy side most people are aware of, I know exactly what they are trying to parody, and I think it's rather effective. I hate the Lua Bar but I love it. It was an entertaining part of the game, but I can sympathize with the pirates: "NOOOO! Our reprehensible grog-swilling location is gone!"

2) And I can also put up with the Lua Bar because I'm SURE the Scumm Bar will be back. :) You just couldn't get rid of it. I mean, the good guys won at the end of EMI. :p That means they're sure to put everything back to their piratey origins, rather than letting the islands become tourist traps.

I couldn't agree more. I have covered this on a thread I started a while ago. "Changes to Melee". On page 2, about halfway down, I posted my FIRM opinion on this topic. Due to lack of motivation, I won't re-seek my feelings and find the right words to describe what I feel, but you can go and read what I said.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105057

-Check out what I had to say. (Page 2, Halfway down.)

I think I see what you mean.

I think the only way my opinion differs is that I didn't think the Lua Bar detracted from the game. In fact, I found that particular part rather enjoyable. You got to have Guybrush wander around and poke fun at the frilly little drinks, and basically trash the place. It was fun! :D

With no more Ozzie Mandrill, I think that the pirates on all islands, not just Melee, will be able to take back their property and drive out the tourists. I can think of all the pirates on Knuttin Atoll going straight on over to Jambalaya to ramsack it so it again looks more "piratey".

Originally posted by Bushmeister

I can think of all the pirates on Knuttin Atoll going straight on over to Jambalaya to ramsack it so it again looks more "piratey".

Dude! Fanfic idea! :D

*Puts that on her list of story ideas to write*

Dan Lee art would be nice, But i think it would be interesting to see Booty and Scabb (and even Phatt, no use leaving it out of the loop) in funky 3D. I know, I know, people hate the 3D and think it spoils everything, but we'll always have mi2 to look back on. My suggestion, do it, some people (even some fans) will like it. I know I'd find it interesting to see how they screw up three more islands in super 3D. :D

I can imagine myself getting overly excited to see Scabb and Booty, and then being greatly dissapointed. It happened with Melee Island, and I'm still shocked by it. If the towns/islands did come out just perfect, then all would be good, world hunger would be solved, all Warring would dissapear, etc.

I think that producers and makers of the last game know that a few people were dissapointed about the returns to new places, and these makers aren't stupid. If they bring us back, they'll do it tremendously. Though, I'd like to see some new, fun, festive, piratey, dangerous islands to skip around in joy, too.

Farewell,

Ernil

I always liked islands at night the most. I don't exactly know why....it's just something about the dark and gloomy atmosphere that makes them more exciting for me. That's basically why I'd be happy to see islands like Scabb or Blood Island again in MI5.

Archived