Home

Whats a n00b or Lamer?

BawBag™

I'm not f**king happy.

I was on a server called ........FunServer earlier and it was a massive saber+force FFA, and it was brill. An absolute riot. :)

However, later I returned to this server and started playin away. Minutes later me and 4 other guy's are being called lamers by one little pratt called Kasakur.

Why do I name him? Well, Me and the other guy's were just knobbing around and he kept attacking and getting killed by us. So he asked for an admin and I was kicked. :mad:

I know this happens all the time, but does anyone play on that server? I would like to know. (Plus, If anyone knows who Kasakur is, or if he posts here, I want to take the little twat on. I think I finally got a good knack for this game.....)

Thanks all.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In jk2 lamer has come to mean "anyone better than me" or "anyone who does not play exactly like I want them to".

me/I being the person crying "lamer".

And really, "lamer"?

What kind of stupid second grade nonsense is that?

ohh no you type killed my semi-afk three dimensional star wars character!1111 oh nooo!11

:rolleyes:

In jk2 lamer has come to mean "anyone who does not play exactly like I want them to".

so true.....I actually played JK2 again the other night. Some full force server called MoD. When I first got there, it was some nice action going on, FFA. Then the admin put everyone to sleep and demanded that everyone private ffa duel instead. I thought that was pretty lame, but I dueled one of their members. It was admin mod, so he had no hope of stopping my kicks. I just kicked him over and over (waiting for knockdowns) and then would dfa or go in for the red swing. None of them knew how to bounce back up off a knockdown. I was booted for "laming" for that.

yawn, when is JA being released offically? I want a CTF game

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

In jk2 lamer has come to mean "anyone better than me" or "anyone who does not play exactly like I want them to".

me/I being the person crying "lamer".

And really, "lamer"?

What kind of stupid second grade nonsense is that?

ohh no you type killed my semi-afk three dimensional star wars character!1111 oh nooo!11

/agree

I think most of the problems is when the players get to a mid lvl skill in the game, they can tasts the sweet tast of being good but cant take being owned by better players

All very valid points there people.

I for one am not wholly against the saber off = peace servers. Now, don't kick my ass for saying that, but those are the kind of servers I played in when I first started playing JK2. This is beneficial for inexperienced players in a way, because they can ask for a little help and some tips on playing the game.

But yes, there are servers where there are people just running around, sabers off and chatting. When you ask for a fight or press your 'duel' button, you basically get a bunch of pitiful excuses. :rolleyes:

And about the .......FunServer, I did enjoy playing there a lot and there were friendly people in there. I hope to return to it tonight actually. But I hope there's no-one that can't handle getting killed. I mean, I only recently learned Grip-Kick! Of course I'm going to try it. :p

1337 = leet = elite without the E. 1 means L, 3 is E backwards, 7 is some perverted form of T.

Really stupid writing system. It's not a language, by the way, as a language has rules, protocols etc, this is just a new and stupid way to write English.

one time this guy was standing on the rooftops of bespin streets and looking right at me, and i tried sniping him but he kept dodging it, then he did a taunt, and that's when i shot him and killed him, then he called me a "lamer".

another time this guy tried to get away from my attacks by going into amsit, so i used a repeater alt fire on the ground and killed him, got called a lamer....

then i got called a lamer cause a guy challenged me to a duel in a CTF game, and i kicked him down the pits. then he also called me a pussy and other stuff....

I play at the Chop Shop server, where there is a rule against killing sitters. Fine and well, but it's SO annoying when idiots sit on weapon spawns. When this happens, I like to surround them with trip mines and det packs. Sit all you want... ;)

I also get people sitting down right when I'm going to attack them. I'll get people blasting me with everything they've got from a sniper position and when I jump up there, they're just sitting quietly.

Originally posted by Emon

N00b means noob, which is newb, which is from newbie, which is self explanitory. In general, lamers are lame people that ruin the game. Like a forum troll but for games.

I play at the Chop Shop server, where there is a rule against killing sitters. Fine and well, but it's SO annoying when idiots sit on weapon spawns. When this happens, I like to surround them with trip mines and det packs. Sit all you want...

Alright let's see...................

Noob is an overly dependant upon themselfs kind of player, not newb, newb is new player =P

Lamer was created by a noob/newb, in the same because he/she kept getting killed when they were either in chat or had their saber down, so the word was said and it stuck.

I find it rather stupid and idiotic, I mean jk2 runs on quake3 engine, but if you play quake 3 no one calls you a lamer if they're chatting and you get killed!

And as for the CS issue.

ALONG TIME AGO, there were no rules, and it was the best server ever!

Back then I was proud to go by the name of Chop Shop Fox.

Now-a days, you get *******s and complainers (which got me fired from being an admin, went around syain I was abusing my powers and crap because they were killing sitters >.>) but yeah, putting mines where people sit cout get you put to sleep, and anyway the rule changed, your not allowed to sit for a game any more, you either spectate if you want to talk, or play.

The sitting rule is still applied though for people who are going to type for a limited time, get up, and start playing again >.>

Ah yes, the classic discussion.

Originally, a "n00b" meant a "newbie" (ie: somebody inexperienced and new to the game), and a "lamer" was somebody who cheated at the game or was a poor sport (ie: whining, complaining, cussing at people, not taking victory/defeat very well).

Now people just toss them out like generic insults. People get called "cheaters" or "lamers" for winning, even if they did so fair and square. People get called "n00bs" just because they don't use the same tactics that other people use, or have been playing the game for years.

It's really quite sad that some people are like this, but... not much we can do about it, since they are in every game community. Just have to respect ourselves and play the way WE want to play, and not let their pettiness ruin our fun.

And we were all "n00bs" once... ; )

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Sithrandir

I play at the Chop Shop server, where there is a rule against killing sitters. Fine and well, but it's SO annoying when idiots sit on weapon spawns. When this happens, I like to surround them with trip mines and det packs. Sit all you want... ;)

I also get people sitting down right when I'm going to attack them. I'll get people blasting me with everything they've got from a sniper position and when I jump up there, they're just sitting quietly.

I just want to clarify the "don't kill sitters" rule at my server. I started that rule to DISCOURAGE CHATTING by making it inconvenient, i.e. you had to sit to legally chat, otherwise ON YOUR FEET = LEGAL TARGET. My intention was that players who wanted to chat had to sit briefly, say whatever, then get up and back in the fight. As much as we would all like people to say nothing and just fight, it's just not realistic. Some people just have to chat, which then inevitably leads to the "LAMER!" whine. My "sit to chat" rule was (is) an attempt to deal with the reality that people are going to chat. It provided an easy comeback to the "LAMER!" whine:

noob: "LAMER!"

me: "Really? Were you sitting?"

noob: "no, but my chatbox was up"

me: "So? ON YOUR FEET = LEGAL TARGET"

noob: "LAMER!"

me: "Were you sitting?"

noob: "no, but my saber was off, and saber off = peace and luv, right?"

me: "Saber off means easier to kill, if not sitting then you have no reason to whine. ON YOUR FEET = LEGAL TARGET".

If you chased someone around the corner and they happened to put up their chatbox 1 millisecond after you started your attack, if they whined about "laming" you could always come back with "tough, you weren't sitting". We still get arguments daily from new players to our server (and lots of "honor" regulars) who say that on "every other server", any killing while chatbox is up or saber is off is "laming". We say sorry, that's not the rule here, on your feet = legal target, and since that is one of only 2 rules on the server (the other is no spawn camping) and it is clearly posted, they have to accept it or leave. Just to toss the "honor" players a crumb, I allowed them to be legally protected if they were sitting briefly while saying something, since sitting gives immunity from saber swings (but not thrown sabers, guns, or explosives), and it made it really obvious that someone is not fighting at that moment.

Unfortunately, the rule helped with the "laming" problem but it created new ones:

1. People sitting and chatting the whole map

2. People sitting to spectate

3. People sitting to avoid death

4. People sitting on the flag base on CTF maps

5. People sitting with the flag or holocrons

So now the MOTD and automated server messages remind players:

-Sit briefly to chat only

-Don't sit to spectate. If not fighting, go to spectator

-Don't sit too long, it causes hemorrhoids

-This is a battleground, not a chat room

-Hate getting chatkilled? Simple, don't chat!

-Don't sit on the flag base or with the flag

-Don't attack sitters, except flag or base sitters, they are fair game

I have also recently set the cvar g_timeouttospec = 60, so players who are inactive for 60 seconds will get kicked to spectator. So in addition to telling the "LAMER!" whiners they have no case if they weren't sitting, the admins are also telling sitters to get off their butts and into the fight, or go to spectator because they will be sent there anyway if not active. It's not a perfect solution, but it works most of the time.

Theres no hope for the lamer thing to stop in jk2 even in ctf and other games, but in JA!! i bet its going to stop with the addition of siege mode, i mean you cant not play that competitively and people will have to see that. When i get Ja and log onto a siege server for the 1st time and see whiners crying lamer, and rules saying saber=peace etc, ill go mad, siege has to be competitive and cant be a chat room, theres time limits and objectives. I really will go mad!! Sadly ffa and even Team games will never be rid of the curse. I hate the noob a**holes turning jk2 into a chat room.

Archived