Home

Honor and jedi academy?

Tarus

Just curious if you all think it'll transfer over as it was in Jedi Outcast. Personally I think its a joke.

Ill never bow to someone before a fight. They are a merely an object in the way of my victory and ill dispatch them as quickly as possible.

Few things:

1. In ninja turtles the movie, both of the enemy bow before the fight. The one smacks the other and knocks him flat, "never lower your eyes to ah enemy"

2. Luke puts away his saber and vader, "you are a fool to lower your defenses" and he attacks.

Usually I won't attack while someone bows to me. I play for the fight afterall and a quick cheap kill isn't satisfying. However, there are times when someone will just stand with no saber bowing over and over waitnig for you to bow back. After 30 seconds times up and I attack.

Same goes for those who go afk in a duel, or excessivly type. After a point your going down, others are waiting.

Seems to me, my 'honor' is that I want to play the game and get the round over with to my benefit or loss. I seem to spend more time thinking about the poor people waiting and watching (in 1 on 1 duels) where others thinks its dishonorable.

Hopefully those who are playing the darkside will be less honorable. That way people dont' expect a bow and start cussing when you don't.

Thoughts?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, as I read your post I strongly disagreed until I got to the end. The thing about "people playing on the dark side" made me see another side to the whole "honor" thinig. I'm anti-laming, pro-bowing, and everything else that goes along with that but I really see where you're coming from. The only problem is, most mods (including me) would kick you for laming.

You made some good points though.

This isnt a role playing game, however it CAN BE more FUN to have what has become "nick-named" the honor system. On some clan servers I enjoy watching others duels-while still having the option to join in at any time in another fight.

I do what the server suggest I do, I mean if I am on a server saying like Honorable or if a person bows before I bow, because you not being a jerk and just bow your head or crouch or whatever, but if the person I am dueling doesn't bow I don't cause I think its a pretty waste of time but nevertheless I abide by the rules of the server I am in

I do bow when someone bows before me. It shows that they've taken the time to show a short respect for me, and i'll be glad to repay it back to them.

I don't like "owning" an opponent and paying them disrespect after word. I say good fight, no matter how easy or hard it was. But I never initiate the bow.

But I do agree with you on constantly chatting during a duel, or sitting in the corner with saber off, or anything like that. I would cut them down in an instant. I like your way of doing things. You don't HAVE to bow.

You'd kick someone from the server for not bowing? Heh

Just to be clear, if I see two people in a duel when its not the game type duel ill usually watch. Im also the type that says if me and you are fighting nad this third guy attacks, we team up and kill him....then continue.

But I still refuse to bow. Im not the light side nor the dark side, I use both *grin* I take the line and dance all around it. While ill respect people dueling...I won't hesitate to kick dirt in your eyes.

For me bowing was always a thing to signal that your ready. Some people like to talk, or ask a question before the dual starts. I never really thought about the whole honor BS. But I've done it when the other person has done it first or its the server's rule. But fr me its always been a signal that the other person is ready to fight, and kick my ass.

I enjoy messing with the bow/honor noobs almost as much as I enjoy playing the game itself.

How some of you people can equate Zen Buddhism like qualities with a friggen video game is beyond me, but watching you type out Caps Lock laden insults and cries of “LAMER!” makes me glad you do.

It’s quite funny riling you “I’m a REAL Jedi!” types up.

"You lamer!", heh say that out loud a few times.

Sounds pretty stupid huh?

ehh I see where you are coming from, but someone who gets mad because a person did not "bow" is going to get pissed over pretty much anything that does not go their way.

Besides watching a guy do some long dramatic bow from across the map while I am frying him with level 2 lightning as he bows just makes me giggle.

;)

I hope not. Hopefully, those obsessed with honor and non-competative gameplay as a Jedi will migrate over to TRUE RPG's such as KOTOR or SWG.

Granted, SWG doesn't have Jedi (yet) and KOTOR won't be coming out for the PC for another 2 months after JA comes out.

So we probably have 2 months of "honor" wannabes in JA. As Samuel L. Jackson says in Jurassic Park "Hold on to your butts...!"

PS: This will also coincidentally be plenty of time for all the whiners and those not serious about the game to declare "The Death of JA" and make a big show of "quitting the community, which is dying." Once that is over with, a golden age of Star Wars gaming should follow... (with luck). ; )

I do bow in duels, but I don't expect others to. If they bow too, that's good, if they don't, that's fine too. I mean, don't people have better things to do than whining because someone didn't bow? I also never bows for more than like 2-3 seconds. And I agree that people who bows for like 30 seconds, lowering their heads slowly into the ground gets annoying, I don't kill them though. Most people who bow doesn't get all upset when someone else don't.

I nod :) But if they don't have any intention to bowing or whatever, I just fight :)

Oh and I find it ridiculous when you're alone on a server with 1 other guy, duelling, and he wants to bow before each duel :mad: I usually say "c'mon were alone here, FIGHT!" and they usually agree :) Otherwise they're going to get chopped :D

I don't expect everyone to bow. Just as others have said they do, I only do it if my opponent does so first. I don't really see bowing as an important thing. There are a few things I however expect everyone to NOT do. If someone does something of this to me revenge is swift and lethal.

Chatkill

Kill someone with saber down

Taunt people verbally (the vocal +taunt is used liberally though "Hey! You there! :))

If a series of dramatic blows and blocks ( like when the gates open in Ep1) occured then I may nod my head and say to myself that young guy/girl has potential. And if they don't I yell 'NOW THAT REALLY POACHES ME EGGS!' and then I'm as dishonourable as a runner up in a contest that he lost in by 1 point

Originally posted by Thazac

I don't really see bowing as an important thing. There are a few things I however expect everyone to NOT do.

Do you see? See what you just said: "This 'n that ain't so important but OHMYGOD if you don't do the honourzable 3/1 pirouette before dueling me like everyone must do (according to MY RULES), you will suffer a terrible fate you LAMER!!"

Do you see the problem? You think bowing is not important at all. Others seem to think it's the single most important aspect of the game. See the problem? See why we need to destroy each and every single honour code-idiot when JA comes out?

Chatkill

Why chat in a game? It's not a chat, it's a game. Why chat in a game if you are worried about your score? Why chat if you care about wether or not you die? If you want to chat, go to spectator mode.

On a side note: I don't kill people who have their box up, but that's just me - a nice guy. :rolleyes: However, if you're in my line of fire, you will die. If I start to chat, I obviously don't care about winning the map and have absolutely no reason to start whining about getting killed. If I hide in some dark corner, put my chat box up & go grab a beer and find myself chatkilled when I return...I press mouse1, re-spawn and continue playing. That's like...no biggie. It's a game, yes? I wasn't hurt.

Kill someone with saber down

A) You're going to walk by as the saber-down-guy grips you down the void? You're going to walk by as he tosses a thermal detonator/detpack at you? Perhaps he was mind tricking, waiting to attack, but mind trick wore off or failed?

Why on earth would "saber down" mean he is not hostile??? Where does it say that and/or who is stupid enough to assume that in a DEATHMATCH where the only(!!) objective is to KILL YOUR OPPONENTS TO SCORE POINTS? :confused:

B) Why on earth would anyone put their saber down in a FFA? Why?! They can not score well when unarmed, right (grip-kicks, yeah I know. :D )? How can they protect themselves without a saber? Please give me at least one single reason WHY in god's name anyone with half a brain would walk around a FFA unarmed???

The honour codes must die. JA will not be infected. This I vow. :cool:

I bow out of habit. On the NF saber ladder I played on back on JK1, most of the players did some bow thing at the beginning of the match. Of course I don't care if you bow or not, thats your business. I cant stand people who just stop in the middle of a duel or FFA and start talking. I will kill players that do that more than a few times. I also can't stand people that do nothing but run away because they don't want to 'die'. Pfft. Its a game, its a FPS, the object is to score points by killing your opponents. I don't get people that think their 'life' in game is worth anything.

Haha, I never said I'd kick anyone for not bowing. You guys are making it likes it's such a big thing! Just move your cursor towards the ground, look back up and start swingin'. What's wrong with a little respect in games? It's better than none, in my opinion. And NO I will not move to SWG or KOTOR, I've never even played another Star Wars game besides JO. I barely knew what Star Wars was before Ep. 1, and I'm not that young either. In fact, it's just about the only PC game I've ever played, online or not. I can understand the whole honor thing in an FFA, because the object is to KILL KILL KILL. In a duel though, you could at least bow to show a little respect, even if it means nothing to you.

Before reading this post I was an 'Honor' freak, but I may have been "converted". Ooh,ahh. Usually when I see a "lamer" it's a noob who hasn't played. The only way to see if they have a clue about how to play (outside of dueling) is to follow the rules.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I hope not. Hopefully, those obsessed with honor and non-competative gameplay as a Jedi will migrate over to TRUE RPG's such as KOTOR or SWG.

Granted, SWG doesn't have Jedi (yet) and KOTOR won't be coming out for the PC for another 2 months after JA comes out.

So we probably have 2 months of "honor" wannabes in JA. As Samuel L. Jackson says in Jurassic Park "Hold on to your butts...!"

I wish I could share your optimism, but I can't. The simple fact is that there is now a 'community' of RPers etc., for Jedi Outcast, and they will probably migrate to Jedi Academy in droves because JA offers even more RPG-lite, like customisable characters and sabers, vehicles, power-duels (for those who want to recreate Duel Of The Fates), etc.

Why should they migrate to an online game that requires them to pay a monthly fee, and most likely doesn't support the kinds of mods these people want to use? The game mechanics are different.

Why should they limit themselves to the SP experience of KOTOR, when they can continue to hold their social meetings online in JO/JA? These people obviously like JO, and like honour codes and emotes, and meeting other people online.

I'll be getting KOTOR myself (I like RPGs)...but it won't stop me playing JA. The only difference is that I want to play JA the way it was designed to be played, and nothing more. I can understand that others want to play it a different way, assisted by mods, and in a way I applaud RPers for managing to take JO in a different direction and making it successful. As I've stated in the past...if they keep to servers that are clearly marked for Roleplaying, I don't have a problem. It's when you join an 'ordinary' server and discover everyone standing around bowing and chatting that it gets annoying.

So I can unfortunately see the situation getting worse, not better.

I wouldn't hold your breath on SWG and Jedis... Just like the rest of the game, its probably going to be buggy as hell.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand.

Respect is earned, not given out like medals at the Special Olympics.

This goes for both real life and in game. Saying that I have to bow to you because it is "honorable" only makes you saber fodder for me. Saying that because you have your saber down makes you uber 1337 and that if you are attacked the server administrator will ban you will only make me hurt you even more. Kissing what you think is a girl but is really a 45 year old balding man who lost his charm gets me a 2 for 1 special.

This is not a chat room, its a First Person Shooter. Sure, it might have differing elements from the mainstays such as UT2Kx and Qx, but that doesn't give an excuse to create a whole system that makes you look like an utter retard.

On this note, if ArtifeX doesn't come back, I'm kickstarting the ASC again. ;)

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Why chat in a game? It's not a chat, it's a game. Why chat in a game if you are worried about your score? Why chat if you care about wether or not you die? If you want to chat, go to spectator mode.

Dude, the chat symbol isn't only for chat!! It's also when you're changing your config, happens all the time. And why shouldn't people be able to chat safely? Say I wanted to join a clan, so I want to ask someone if I can join. Or I want to know how to do a move....

They didn't incorporate chat (and the chat symbol) for nothing! You could at leats show a little respect for the ppl who need to say something, or change their config. If they don't react for like 15 seconds you can kill them, but allways warn them or something.

And you whole post is very negative and agressive. The ONLY objective is to score points, pfff, get a life, you can own the server and NOT be a jerk at the same time you know :rolleyes: People have these habits, but don't just flame someone to death because they happen to bow, it makes you as bad as all the RPers :rolleyes:

Last time I checked even if a saber passes through your chatting body and kills you, your text will still appear once you press enter.

And if it's not "about just scoring" why the hell would a person get mad over a chat kill?

You were not trying to rack up points, your text will still appear so why get all pissy?

I mean yes, there are occasions where say in a duel server (real duel not ffa "press K" stuff) if a guy says "give me a second" I will give him time to set up his keys or w/e because sometimes even in spec mode you don't get it finished by the time you spawn into a match.

But in a ffa where everyone is running around, if you're not playing and just chatting who gives a **** if someone kills you?

Archived