Home

Honor and jedi academy?

Tarus

Originally posted by txa1265

BTW - to the canon-ness of bowing, I consider what Dooku did to Yoda and ObiWan as a salute, sign of respect, and/or close enough ... but I still wouldn't do it by my own volition in a duel.

Mike

It's very likely that I would chat some or bow or whatever if I suddenly, in Jedi Outcast multiplayer, ran into the guy who was my sensei 10+ years ago. Also, if I hadn't seen my dad in 20 years and he suddenly logged on to the same server as me...yeah, I'd probably say something instead of just gripping him off a ledge.

However, if I'm facing someone I do not know and have absolutely no reason to like or respect...why on earth should I do anything but play the game?

As Rad has pointed out many times: respect is earned.

No need to behave like a jerk, though. Demanding respect from total strangers is one way of acting like a jerk.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rumor

jesus dude. luck has nothing to do with it.

i know of around 10 or so servers that aren't like that. 20 max. thats out of around 700+ servers. and i have been to most every single one of the servers on the list.

Honestly, I know I'm not a big MP person, but I rarely hit the same server (just whatever is there) and rarely see issues - and never have them. But then, I tend to be a 'light jedi' in my life, so while I play FFA to kill ... everything, I read the MOTD, assume saber-down = no kill, and will bow *if the other guy does it first*. I *always* drop a quick gf or whatever after a duel - hey no reason not to be polite.

Thing with other games (played a bit of Elite Force 1, Enemy Territory and MOH:Spearhead last night as well as some FFA JKII) is there is no such thing as saber down, no duel. I will say that the first message I saw last night was 'how do I report lamers' ... I stayed for a while and saw no one I would consider a lamer (if all the people fragging me were lamers then I suck worse than I think I do ;) )

BTW - to the canon-ness of bowing, I consider what Dooku did to Yoda and ObiWan as a salute, sign of respect, and/or close enough ... but I still wouldn't do it by my own volition in a duel.

Mike

Team locking (why this is not a base cvar still to this day in q3 engine games is beyond me)

you could use g_maxgameclients, which sets the maximum people allowed in a game. so you get get ever one in the game, then if there is 4 people, set it to 4 and no one could join in, everyone else would have to spec

Originally posted by ryudom

you could use g_maxgameclients, which sets the maximum people allowed in a game. so you get get ever one in the game, then if there is 4 people, set it to 4 and no one could join in, everyone else would have to spec

yes but people can switch teams.

A "n00b" is the worst thing you can be called by a "lamer".

A "lamer" is someone who does not bow, uses guns, and "cheap" or "lame" tactics. They are generally the ones who call people "n00bs".

"n00bs" are generally the ones who call you lamers. They always bow, scream at you if you don't, often try to enforce their rules off their server, want to be a "real jedi" beleve in "honour" and think Force is lame.

N00B originally refererred to someone unfamilair with the game- those people are now called "newbies".

Originally posted by traj

What kind of cheap/lame tactics?

One I've seen - even in the 'holocron' - is knock-down hits. Say you manage to kick someone or force push or whatever so that your opponent falls down. Assumedly you'd take advantage of the situation you had just created to go in for a major hit and/or kill, right? Right? RIGHT?!?! NO you f-ing lamer!!! You stand there and wait for your opponent to upright themselves and continue, perhaps getting in a few extra bows while you wait :rolleyes:

Mike

This is akin to a simple "swing" to let them know you are ready in the game duels (as if the "BEGIN!" wasn't clue enough that the fight is starting).

Notice though that Dooku only saluted Yoda, an enemy he truly respected...

Originally posted by Kurgan

This is akin to a simple "swing" to let them know you are ready in the game duels (as if the "BEGIN!" wasn't clue enough that the fight is starting).

Notice though that Dooku only saluted Yoda, an enemy he truly respected...

Let's put it in terms of 'If the movies played like JKII ... '

- Anakin and ObiWan vs. Dooku was like team FFA. Anakin comes charging up saber-on and eats lightning. While ObiWan waits for ObiWan to respawn he takes on Dooku, but is down to about 5HP, and lost his saber. Dooku is aiming DFA when Anakin respawns, which took longer as he had to get a dual saber hax0r working. He pulls ObiWans saber and battles Dooku. Little does he realize that Dooku had some of his own hacks going, including saberrealisticcombat, and gets his arm hacked off ...

- Yoda vs Dooku: classic duel - challenge is issued, respects are shown, and then it is 1:1 FFA. No lam3rz, no n00bz, just win or lose using everything at your disposal.

Sounds like my kind of game ;)

Mike

I'm not going to read this entire thread because it is just to amazingly long. I just want to say this:

*Don't join a server if you don't plan on obeying it's rules.

*Don't talk about how stupid a server is because you don't like their rules. You can click your mouse on any of the servers in the menu, it does not click for you.

*Don't complain if you are kicked from a server for not obeying it's rules. The rules come up at the start of your game, and you can read them anytime by typing !rules.

*If you don't like the rules, join a server with no rules or start your own.

*Since 90% of the servers out there have admins and rules, there must be more people out there who like the admins and rules than those who don't.

*Don't torture those who dare to follow the rules and make the game better for others, lamers are seen as bad people, don't be a bad person.

We got some upcoming lawers in here.

Originally posted by unnamed > you

hah like 1/2 the people in this thread are banned now.

we got a new(bie?) moderator getting a little frisky it seems.

Naw ... we have been visited by a rash of unabashed pirates who think with their lips moving (or fingers typing as the case may be) ;)

Speaking of which ... Welcome back

Mike

Hey thanks (don't worry this is my last post but feel free to ip ban me if you think that will make a difference) and yeah I kind of figured that.

I know a lot of you just live for those moments when you can click that "report to a moderator" button (even when nothing is being violated rules wise) to help do your part to make this world a better place.

/edit sorry if I got you in any trouble Kurgan, you always shoot straight w/ people.

peace and take it easy all.

unnamed, you may be able to come back to our forums someday soon (we can be forgiving, believe it or not), but we do have a policy of not allowing people to simply create a new name and come back right after a ban.

So you'll understand that it is my duty to ban this current name you're using again.

In the near future, if your ban is rescinded, you can have your old account back and continue on as normal.

We encourage people to use the report to moderator panel because we can't be everywhere at once. Sometimes people may abuse it, but unlike "vote-kicking" in JK2 servers, we have the ability to evaluate whether or not the person reporting it was correct or not.

Archived