Home

Honor and jedi academy?

Tarus

[D]HermS, please read this thread and you might understand what we're talking about.

It's not about whether or not it's cool to DFA someone who is bowing in the beginning of a duel. It about "honour". Read this thread and try to understand that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HONOUR IN JEDI OUTCAST.

"Good manners" is an entirely different thing. You shouldn't behave like an ass online, I agree. Most of us agree.

But that has NOTHING to do with this honour-crap. Acting nice has nothing to do with silly rules that someone THINKS everyone else should follow. It has nothing to do with the constant whining and kick votes and admin abuse and /amsit/-kiss servers.

Bowing is the tip of the iceberg. It represents the "you must play the way I want or else you're a lame fag and I'll ban you"-mentality.

Are you saying we should welcome that attitude? 'cause you know - I got a really mean set or honour-rules that I'll gladly impose on you.

For example Rule #1: red stance is gay and any lamer using red stance must be banned.

U like that? No? Well guess what - I DON'T LIKE YOUR RULES EITHER! :mad:

So why don't we all just act nice online, quit bitching about others "laming" and play the way we want? Sounds fair? Ok. It's a deal. :)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jah Warrior

The way i see it is this:-

You dont like bowing? dont do it, but please let those of us who DO enjoy that aspect of the game have our couple of seconds to do our thing. If you can't show respect for your fellow gamers you may as well **** off.

If winning is all you are worried about why are playing online? Just make up a server full of bots and you can cheap shot all you like, but leave those of us with common decency, honor, manners and morals continue adhere to our principles.

Anyone that used to frequent my old server will know that i won't stand for rude ignorant players to spoil the fun for the others. LOL I'll think you will find that most admins agree with me too, so... It's your call, behave or be banned and above all dont be so damn childish.

Bowing is harmless and if you think you cant stand to lose a couple of seconds of your life so people can actually behave in a civilised manner then you are missing the point of online gaming entirely.

Winning is not everything, being a nice person counts for a lot more.

be warned, if you show up at teh -]H-P[- server and act like some of you above have stated you'll be banned and you wont be missed.

Which is why I always showed respect on your server Jah, you always had a good community. Is the server still up? Or are you preparing for JK3? ;)

well, the point is that if you are All that then why go for the cheap/easy kill?

If you cant understand the idea behind this so-called honour system or manners.... i pity you.

Another person that fails to read posts, jumps ahead, and posts whatever comes out of his ass first...

Originally posted by Rockstar

darth vader attacked luke not because he had his guard down or was dishonourable!! he did it because luke was "provoking" darth vader's good side. luke began to talk with his saber down to try and get his father back, but vader throws his saber to: a)show luke that it wasn't working. b)stop luke from distracting him (which it was, it was taking vader of his focus of killing)

Say what?

Darth attacked Luke when he had his saber down because he is eeevvviiilllll. Besides, Vader was right. It is unwise to lower your defenses, because if you do, someone is likely to put a lightsaber through you. And Luke attacked the Emperor when the evil one had no lightsaber. Oh no! Luke is a lamer! Better vote him off the server!

And Vader was not trying to kill Luke. He was trying to turn him to the Dark Side.

Originally posted by [D]HermS

well, the point is that if you are All that then why go for the cheap/easy kill?

I don't attack people when they bow, but I have no problem with people who do. Whether you are "all that" or not, if your goal is just to win, why not take the opportunity when it is handed to you on a silver platter like that?

If you cant understand the idea behind this so-called honour system or manners.... i pity you.

But the "honour system" != manners (as Luc said). Having manners is being polite and not being verbally abusive. To me, bowing isn't the real issue. The whole saber down = peace and so on is more of a gameplay disruption. And that has nothing to do with manners.

Besides, the original goal of the honour system was a good one, to have people show respect to each other. But it has backfired horribly. It has done more to get people pissed off at each other than anything else in JO. This is why I don't think it should be adhered to, because it simply doesn't work.

You dont like bowing? dont do it, but please let those of us who DO enjoy that aspect of the game have our couple of seconds to do our thing. If you can't show respect for your fellow gamers you may as well **** off.

Like I said, I don't mind bowing so much. I will bow if someone bows to me. But really, the respect needs to work both ways. Certainly I always try to be polite and complimentary when I am playing someone. Personally, I have have much more respect for someone who plays the game and is curteous afterwards.

But bowing isn't the issue. The issue is that those who want to RPG (by which I mean do things other than play the game as it was intended) are demanding respect for how they want to play. But they don't give respect to those that want to run around trying to kill people. I mean, that is how the game was designed to be played. Why is that goal less honourable than RPGing?

If winning is all you are worried about why are playing online?

Uh, what? That is exactly the reason the vast majority of people who play online are playing. If you are not playing to win, you are in the minority. By playing to win, I don't mean just caring about frags. I play to have fun, and I don't get upset if I do poorly. But when I play, I am trying to kill my opponants, so in that sense, I care about winning.

Just make up a server full of bots and you can cheap shot all you like, but leave those of us with common decency, honor, manners and morals continue adhere to our principles.

Sadly, for many people bots is the only answer for a game. Not so they can cheap shot, but it is the only way they can play an MP game where their opponants actually play the game and don't complain every time they do a move. They prefer to have their enemies try and kill them, as opposed to sitting around and using kissing animations.

Besides, do people who folow this honour code really have more "decency, honor, manners and morals" than others? Not from what I have seen (although there certainly are those who are respectful in this group). They tend to be the ones who call people "gay", "lame", and often use racial slurs when someone actually attacks them in a game about killing the other guy. It doesn't seem that those people are displaying manners and respect to me.

Again, showing respect and manners are a completely different from following an artifical honour system.

Anyone that used to frequent my old server will know that i won't stand for rude ignorant players to spoil the fun for the others.

Rude and ignorant players should not be tolorated. But what is your definition of rude and ignorant? Someone who doesn't bow or attacks or attacks someone with their lightsaber down (actual question, as I have never played with you)?

Spoiling fun for others. That is what this whole thing is all about, isn't it? But, like respect, it is a two way street. What about those people who have fun by running around and racking up frags? Is their way of having fun less valid than RPGers? Don't you think that having people whine and complain about being attacked when their lightsaber is down ruins the fun of others? Why is your fun more important than other people's?

Winning is not everything, being a nice person counts for a lot more.

But for many (most?) people who play JO and other online games, winning is everything. That is why there are lots of ladders and tournaments. That is why the game keeps kill stats. Winning may not be everything to you (it isn't to me either), which is fine, but playing for those competative reasons is certainly valid. So why, if you aren't competative, do you feel that everyone should play the way you want to play, and not the way they want to play. This is nothing to do with being polite and respectful. Ultimately, this is the problem that most of us have with the "RPGers" who come on public servers and demand we play the way they want to play. I think you will agree that this is unfair.

Originally posted by SettingShadow

I do not bow anymore (unless the rules would say I have to), but neither do I kill those who do bow. I also always follow the rules of a server, and if you fail to follow these rules, of course you should be kicked. What I can't stand if when someone comes into a public server with no rules and start whining because someone kick, or is camping because it's not honourable and try to vote kick you off the server.

I couldn't have put it better, SettingShadow :)

Originally posted by Luc Solar

So why don't we all just act nice online, quit bitching about others "laming" and play the way we want? Sounds fair? Ok. It's a deal.

Now that is an honour system that actual would have some merit!

Again, I am all for being polite and respectful to other people. I just don't feel demanding people follow an artificial set of rules and then verbally abusing them when they don't follow it is the way to do it. :D

think storm and, to some degree, bakker, have a point. maybe instead of flamming the fanboys we should think of possible ways to convert them.

here's mine:

first you'd go to differant servers, and own some people up. but make sure you follow the server rules, somewhat (maybe bind a key to /say ready instead of bowing heh). anyway after you pwn them up and maybe give them some advice on their game, tell them of an upcoming tourney or ladder happening.

i think the key is getting them involved in some competition. i think most people on those servers are competitive, but have been brain washed with the SC. anyway it would take some work, but i'd really like to see this community turned around

Hah, if you all didn't notice, you had me converted twice in this thread. I tried to see your points, and when I finally did, instead of debating it in a decent manner, you insulted me and called me names. After seeing how immature you (I'm sure you know who you are) acted, I went back to my old ways. I don't get it, you had me on your side, isn't that what you wanted? Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

By the way, it's nice to see some more honor people here. I'll be looking foward to playing JA with all my fellow clan mates and players who play with a shred of decency.

:hatchrun: :hatchrun: :hatchrun: :hatchrun: :hatchrun: :hatchrun:

sorry, I just can't get enough of those ^

actually it is good to see a lot of old jk2 people coming back, even if they are real life jedi role players.

;)

a lot of the old school ff duel big dogs have been popping up on our servers as of late as well.

Should make for a nice launch for the game, player base wise.

we got the idea a long time ago. the practice is what turned us off. aka the people who demand respect treat you like ****...etc.

The way i see it is this:-

If winning is all you are worried about why are playing online? Just make up a server full of bots and you can cheap shot all you like, but leave those of us with common decency, honor, manners and morals continue adhere to our principles.

missed.

we play online so we can beat the **** out of HUMAN BEINGS, moron.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HONOR IN A VIDEO GAME

want to show respect for a fellow gamer? be civil to them.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

The best kills are the ones where they walk slowly across the map all dramatic and movie like.

Then when they go into this slow, long drawn out dramatic bow... pop, a DFA right to the ****ing head.

:hatchrun:

<3 they are the best <3

Hmm here is an idea...

Instead of the *ASC* thing let's start a "Lamer Academy".

Not only can we teach people how to play a cheap as humanly possible but we can have classes on bugs/map exploits/how to camp and such.

We can even do classes teaching people the best chat macros/questions to bind to keys so as to elicit a long response from their opponent and guarantee an easy type kill.

That would so rule.

Hmm here is an idea...

Instead of the *ASC* thing let's start a "Lamer Academy".

Not only can we teach people how to play a cheap as humanly possible but we can have classes on bugs/map exploits/how to camp and such.

We can even do classes teaching people the best chat macros/questions to bind to keys so as to elicit a long response from their opponent and guarantee an easy type kill.

That would so rule.

lets do that. seriously.

Kaoticz ASC Academy.

irc = #kaoticz on irc.enterthegame.com

i can get plaz to do a site for it and we can put a section for it on the forums.

The way I see it, if rumor doesn't show any honor to me, no secks.

No but seriously the honor system is stupid.

I remember my first time playing JK2. I came into a server and thought the game looked pretty cool. But then I noticed no one was doing anything so I pulled up the console, and realized that everyone was calling me a "lamer." In all other online games, lamer is a word used on people who play with annoying tactics. That got me confused. I didn't understand how I could be using such tactics if I just picked the game up a few minutes ago. Surely, these people who have probably been playing longer than me can beat me easily, right?

I shrugged all the shrieks of "lamer" off and thought maybe that people only played this way in the particular server I was in. So, I went to other servers and sure enough, I get the same response. I didn't really like this idea of not killing people with sabers down and bowing and all that nonsense. But I thought each game has its own set of rules so I started to abide by them.

(yeah, sad right?) Well, then after months of playing, and then quitting, I found myself in Grendel for PlanetSide beta. After browsing their forums, I saw that they take on a quake-style playing attitude in JK2. So then I re-installed JK2 and started playing with g// :)

BTW, Rumor I like your idea. I'll get started on the site ASAP (tomorrow probably)

Originally posted by GC256

Hah, if you all didn't notice, you had me converted twice in this thread. I tried to see your points, and when I finally did, instead of debating it in a decent manner, you insulted me and called me names. After seeing how immature you (I'm sure you know who you are) acted, I went back to my old ways. I don't get it, you had me on your side, isn't that what you wanted? Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it.

By the way, it's nice to see some more honor people here. I'll be looking foward to playing JA with all my fellow clan mates and players who play with a shred of decency.

I need to find my "Here's the room for the people who care" crap...

StormHammer, as you can see above this is the flamebait I am talking about.

This is way off topic, but Rumor:

I installed JO again and happened to stumble on Grendels FFA-server.

I logged on and there were like 5 people playing. One of then was the typical "I had my saber down, that means you can't attack! (someone obviously did :D, not me though..) Saber down means I don't want to fight. You must bow before dueling! Please train me!!1 Press K and duel me!"

Harmless noob. :)

Anyways, I fought a some clan-dood. He missed a DFA and I kicked him once, he died. A second later I'm seeing the good old "Kick Luc Solar?" vote in progress. Vote failed.

Now here's the actual question: the guy said I had h@xorzModified my pk3-files and made my kicks do insane damage. He claimed he had 100/20 hp and I killed him with a single kick.

Naturally he didn't believe me when I said I have no idea wtf he is talking about. Is there an explanation to this? Some weird glitch or something? :confused:

did he use dark rage? because if he did and it ran out, then it would have killed him as it lowers his hp.

what was his name, btw.

/edit: you don't change damage by editing pk3 files. its all server-side. also point out that the server was set to sv_pure 1. that means all files have to be perfect matches for what they are on the server (assets pk3's, etc.) this excludes cfg's.

the only bug even semi like that is the grip one.

dude grabs you, you are being gripped.

you press forward and mash jump really fast.

when grip breaks you shoot up in the air like a rocket and if you touch him you do between 60-100 damage (all depends on how fast you tap jump).

chances are it was just some noob who was not paying attention to his hp.

*god I hope that ^^ got fixed in JA...

Originally posted by Rumor

did he use dark rage? because if he did and it ran out, then it would have killed him as it lowers his hp.

what was his name, btw.

/edit: you don't change damage by editing pk3 files. its all server-side. also point out that the server was set to sv_pure 1. that means all files have to be perfect matches for what they are on the server (assets pk3's, etc.) this excludes cfg's.

Nope. No rage. Just a missed DFA and a normal kick in the butt while he was stuck with his saber in the ground.

Can't remember the name. I think he had a yellow tag. But it was no biggie. ;) Can't really think of a reason why he would lie about it though... I mean, why not just call me a lamer and get it over with?

It would be kinda weird if you could simply modify your pk3-files and suddenly become a one-hit-kill-kicking-machine. :eek:

BTW - do rage-kicks do more damage than normal kicks? (yeah, I'm a noob :D)

the only bug even semi like that is the grip one.

dude grabs you, you are being gripped.

you press forward and mash jump really fast.

when grip breaks you shoot up in the air like a rocket and if you touch him you do between 60-100 damage (all depends on how fast you tap jump).

chances are it was just some noob who was not paying attention to his hp.

*god I hope that ^^ got fixed in JA...

i dont :p

remember when i got crow and you with a single glitch? that was classic.

luc: no i don't think they do

haha man i cant believe ppl are still talking about this honor-emote-loving-RPers vs play-da-damn-game-like-its-designed-to thing.... can we just all get along?? i dont ever bow but dont mean i wanna dis ppl who do...

Originally by luc solar

Do you see? See what you just said: "This 'n that ain't so important but OHMYGOD if you don't do the honourzable 3/1 pirouette before dueling me like everyone must do (according to MY RULES), you will suffer a terrible fate you LAMER!!"

Do you see the problem? You think bowing is not important at all. Others seem to think it's the single most important aspect of the game. See the problem? See why we need to destroy each and every single honour code-idiot when JA comes out?

[/Quote]

hahaha cant U see?? ur flaming ppl for doing what they think is right but all the time ur forcing ur RULES on other ppl...cant we all just stop being so god damn righteous?? lol ppl like u already run the US government and religious organazations and look wat the worlds getting into now?? if JA is as good as it looks now surly there's gonna b enough servers for every1?? may be we should put a little tag at the end of servers names to tell ppl whether it is a honor-coded game or an all out kick-dirt-in-ur-eye-game or sumfing, but really dudes this topic is getting should b redantunt by now....

Originally posted by BrainStorm

Its the classic thread that will never die!

LOL

I still get a kick out of it. Opposite sides of the same coin.

Stop it! Yer killing me! Yall have been killing me for a long time now.

Oh! My sides ache!

:yoda: says you have no honor.

Archived