Home

Uru Focus Group

I got a cool surprise today in my e-mail. It seems that I got picked for some sort of Uru: Ages of Myst focus group thingy. I don't really have any idea what it involves, but I got the impression that not very many people were involved. This is really cool, cause I might have an impact in how the game turns out. Anyone have any suggestions I should pass along to the bigwigs?

I invoke the inimitable Kelly Flock:

"No, we never talk to consumers - they just **** us up. Someone asked for a copy of our market research which made us take the decision to do EverQuest. I said we hadn't done any market research. Had we done, the game would never have been made. We never focus on them. Gamers don't know what they want. We just want to know if they have a valid credit card."

:D

I suspect that the quote may be a little tongue in cheek, but there's an element of truth in there. It's always valuable to ask people's opinions on previous games, but if you're trying to do something different then it's hard to do that and also overcome the conservative nature of most people by consulting them. Most people will only embrace new ideas when they are presented to them as a fait acomplis.

Archived