Home

Full Throttle 2 cancelled

Remi

Originally posted by wampa_one

Sam & Max 2 will probably be cancelled too :mad:

There was a reason behind this. Everyone here has seemed to overlook the comments made by Tim Schafer on that website. What was that website now, I've got it no the tip of my toungue... oh yeah, Mixnmojo.com. In which he says.

Originally said by The God

“I heard they just couldn’t go on without the emotional support of Tom Sarris. I mean, Tom was the person Ben Throttle was based on. Not a lot of people know that. So I guess they finally just realized there was no way to do it with out him.”

In other words, unless something collosal like that happens to Sam n Max 2, i think it's still going to go ahead as planned.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? I'm, at the same time, really sorry for the developers but I must admit that most of the concept arts were crap and graphics were *berk*.

Problem is : if LucasArts cancelled all their projects that should make adventure games evolve what the hell is the point of all this? I don't want any sequel to GF and MI, I may like a FT sequel but what I really,really,really want back in this company is brand new concept...

see Tim Shafer? Why are we so confident about Psychonauts? I'm confident because the project leader has realised it was time to move, time to embrace 3D and melting different type of game.

Point and Click game are fine but its been too long since we know this, I want to be surprised. Maybe FT would not have been a great game but there was idea about giving the playera larger action range.

I onbly hope that Sam & max will be in Full 3D.

Originally posted by Demon Chuckie

Anyway I'm glad that they chose to cancel it rather than bring out something ****e! it shows how great LA truly are

Are you insane?

It only shows that LucasArts is incapable of producing quality games these days. Despite almost 2 years of work, they couldn't come up with anything good. As I said before, their concepts sounded good. I loved the concept art. I guess they just couldn't follow through.

Anything that LA is doing that that looks remotely good like KOTOR and Armed and Dangerous are all merely published by Lucas.

Nothing they are doing inhouse looks good. Think RTX.

This decision is the end of Lucasarts as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by RemiO

Ouch!

This ain't an "ouch!" kinda thing. More along the lines of "thank god!".

I think LEC should stop making any sequels because I'm not too sure they are capable of making great games anymore. What I mean is, if they keep churning out mediocre games, at least that way they wouldn't ruin the reputation of the original games.

I was disappointed with the first few screenshots, but then they started getting better, and I began to really look forward to the game. Now it's cancelled, I'm sad, but it sounds like it was for the best. Remember Obi Wan?

You al seem to think that the entire adventure gameing quality left when Schafer and Gilbert and the rest of the older generation gamemakes left. So we got some new people in, they may not be as good, but then again, how do we know that they're not better? We can't be sure and with the cancellation of FT2 we won't actually know until SamnMax2 comes out. Yes, so the graphics looked crap, we ddin't seem to care too much about that on the first FT, we like the adventure and story side of it more. And if they delivered mediochre graphics with a brilliant story and good adventure aspect whilst still being able to put action elements in and have a dynamic setting, then they were onto a winning game here, despite the graphics. The main reason they dropped it, as Schafer has said is that, Tom sarris left, and they needed to consult him to for Bens character and because he left at the E3 thing, they couldn't finish the game without him. It was purely a character thing, they could present ben in the way they could back on FT1, and they didn't want to present a crappy Ben to the public who knew him so well as well as those who didn't, and so the smartest thing they could ahve done was stopped, and they did. LA's game quality confidense would have gone down considerably because of this games release if they couldn't give the full gaming experiance that they wanted to, so they didn't.

This is such a shame, it really is.

Why didn't they do the game correctly to begin with, instead of cancelling it just now. I mean didn't they realize the game sucked when they started doing it?

It is like the programer walks into Simon's office with a beta of the game and says "We just realized we cant sell this sucky game"

And a lot of money has clearly been put into this, but yet some children don't have anything to eat and this makes me angry beyong words. And Simon Jeffrey only worries about the name of the game, that a bad sequel would ruin a franchise with such a potential, but if the game was called "Bob the guy who rides a bike" they would've sold it to us, and we would be playing and saying "Gosh this game sucks they don't do any decent games anymore, we need more sequels or Ron Gilbert" but we keep buying the games, and bitchin' and buyin'.

The thing is that I dont care if Full Throttle was going to be bad or not, everyone was going to buy it only to bitch about it, and then when Full Throttle 3 comes out the same thing was going to happen. It makes me so ANGRY that all those hypocrites out there are saying they are happy about it being cancelled, "oh no dont stain the name of the glorious lucasarts, maker of nothing else but good games"

This is a problem to take very seriously, its not only that a game got cancelled because it was bad, its a whole generation of gamers that literally confused about everything.

Everyone is happy about Sam & Max 2, why? Because is Pure Adventure, it looks just as bad as FT2, and it has some good jokes, but FT2 did too. See you should open up your mind, not only adventure games are good games.

The genre is dead, screw this.

Originally posted by Sopabuena

This is such a shame, it really is.

Why didn't they do the game correctly to begin with, instead of cancelling it just now. I mean didn't they realize the game sucked when they started doing it?

It is like the programer walks into Simon's office with a beta of the game and says "We just realized we cant sell this sucky game"

And a lot of money has clearly been put into this, but yet some children don't have anything to eat and this makes me angry beyong words. And Simon Jeffrey only worries about the name of the game, that a bad sequel would ruin a franchise with such a potential, but if the game was called "Bob the guy who rides a bike" they would've sold it to us, and we would be playing and saying "Gosh this game sucks they don't do any decent games anymore, we need more sequels or Ron Gilbert" but we keep buying the games, and bitchin' and buyin'.

The thing is that I dont care if Full Throttle was going to be bad or not, everyone was going to buy it only to bitch about it, and then when Full Throttle 3 comes out the same thing was going to happen. It makes me so ANGRY that all those hypocrites out there are saying they are happy about it being cancelled, "oh no dont stain the name of the glorious lucasarts, maker of nothing else but good games"

This is a problem to take very seriously, its not only that a game got cancelled because it was bad, its a whole generation of gamers that literally confused about everything.

Everyone is happy about Sam & Max 2, why? Because is Pure Adventure, it looks just as bad as FT2, and it has some good jokes, but FT2 did too. See you should open up your mind, not only adventure games are good games.

The genre is dead, screw this.

I almost agree with you, almost because the genre isn't dead, sure it isn't breathing, sure its child has get its money and buy drinks with it but it's not dead. It's dead as it was, as a point-and-click-resolving-puzzles genre... what this genre need are open minded people that knows than 3D can make the gameplay deeper, that AI can bring a lot to the genre, that unlinearity can enhance the genre even more. It's just that people has a picture associated to adventure games, not a concept.. and that's a shame.

Look, I was only interested in FT2 as a classic style (in terms of gameplay, I don't give a flying toss about whether its 3D or not) adventure game. I mean, if LucasArts released Monkey Island pinball it might be brilliant, but I don't like pinball games so I wouldn't enjoy it. The best game LucasArts have made since Grim Fandango, in my opinion, is Rogue Leader on the gamecube. The game I want to play most that they are making is Rebel Strike, and the "worst decision" they made was not to release Secret Weapons over Normandy on the 'cube. I don't think LucasArts are the only people who can make a decent adventure game, in fact I know they're not, its just that they made the most, and they were all GOOD. I mean, I'm more excited about the Longest Journey 2 than I am about Sam & Max 2.

And Joshi, what the HELL are you talking about?? EMI was made after schafer et al had left for greener shores, and it was a great game. If it had been an original adventure I woulda loved it, I just hate the way it disregarded the plot of the previous 3 games in the series and left huge plot holes.

I think saying that this is Lucasarts "smartest move" in a while is just f**cking childish.

Actually it isn't. Consider the facts:

1) The graphics looked like a PS1 title from 1997. I know you say "but what about the gameplay"?? But you're missing the point. There was something so terribly wrong about the game that they didn't think the graphics needed to be changed... because they were too busy on other aspects of the game.

2) It was NOT an adventure game. Repeat. It was NOT an adventure game. There were levels, health bars etc etc. This is the MAIN reason people like me think it was a bad idea.

3) Do you HONESTLY think that LucasArts would stop production of a game, TWO YEARS into it, if it didn't ABSOLUTELY warrant it? This is the same company that gleefully brought us Pod Racer, The Phantom Menace, Battle for Naboo, Masters of Teräs Käsi, Emperor's Tomb, RTX Redrock. We can take as read that FT2 was WORSE than these released games.

Are you sure you're still unhappy it's gone?

~ John

guybrush, the press release offered more than 35 different levels, more than 40 different weapons (presumably as opposed to 40 chainsaws), 20 "unique environments", and other action-soundin' stuff.

See it while you still can!

Edit: Tee, you can also download those screenshots for your own amusement.

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

This is the same company that gleefully brought us Pod Racer, The Phantom Menace, Battle for Naboo, Masters of Teräs Käsi, Emperor's Tomb, RTX Redrock.

Don't forget Force Commander, which I heard was Sean Clark's game at one point. He was allegedly pulled off the project.

Also don't forget Hal Barwood games such as Big Sky Trooper, Indy's Desktop Adventures, Yoda Stories, and other failed projects that never saw the light of day. Combine that with RTX Red Rock, and I wonder if Hal Barwood and Sean Clark are going to be getting the axe very soon. If it hasn't happened already.

It's really a shame.

P.S. Emperor's Tomb doesn't belong on your list... the console versions don't, at least.

I think I heard that Sean Clark's Force Commander was way different than the game they released. I somehow doubt his version was worse at least. :¬:

It'll be interesting to see what will happen with LEC's internal projects over the coming years. As it is, most of their quality games are developed by other companies. If they were to make any more adventure sequels, I'm kinda torn over who I'd prefer making them.

Well, I haven't seen or heard a negative thing about Sam & Max 2 so far (aside from the "it's dumb because its 3D" people of course). Even the suspicious elements from the E3 video, such as Max's triangular teeth, were fixed up when they showed some new artwork at Comic Con.

Of course, with Sam & Max 2 so far, hearing no negative things pretty much goes hand in hand with only hearing a tiny amount of positive things, or things about the game at all.

Anyway, yeah, hopefully that game will be good. I have faith in it, while I never really had faith in Full Throttle 2... ever. Honestly I was dubious when I heard about the Ahern/Tiller version.

It's funny to feel guilt over a game being canned because our site was so negative about it, but on the other hand (Andrew where are you), we heard from Simon Jeffery right at E3 during our interview that we never published (*blush*) that even back then he wasn't pleased with where the game was at. In hindsight I think he meant a little more than "its taking too long" when he said that.

I'm sad to see FT2 go because of all the work the teams must have put into it over the last couple years, but there are times when it's good to just cut your losses and start anew. Hopefully their next project will be a winner, and not involve Episode III.

Log one vote for "those who quite like Force Commander".

I thought it was a great original take on the FPS genre. Those that badmouthed it (well, those that actually played it, and badmothed it) probably failed to read the instructions and learn to use the camera properly.

I'd rather be playing Force Commander than Battlegrounds anyday.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there in this thread. Just don't care for the "everything sucks" bandwagon.

No one really knows enough about Sam and Max 2 to really form an opinion about it, it seems too early in production.

Thunderpeel: I am still sad that this game got the axe, even if it wasn't straight up adventure it was still the closest thing since EMI (which was alos a dissapointment). I was hoping maybe the visuals would be overcome by good gameplay. But you're right, a game bad enough to get cancelled this far into production is a strong signal that it was indeed very bad...that doesn't mean it couldn't improve though. I'm still sad to see it go.

I am not a game developer, but I want to venture a guess as to why they had so much of a problem. It makes sense to me to focus on ONE platform, the best-looking one, and then (after the game is near-ready for release, bring in a sub-team for ports. I mean that way, you have all the skins, models, locations, voices, scripts, and music ready - each of the ports just takes the same pieces and uses a different type of glue to put them together.

It's always easier to focus than multitask.

hi guys,

im not a big poster here, but i am a big adventure fan (and goto mixnmojo regularly)

first off, i am a game developer (hobbiest though) ... and im quite sure that the gfx were a work-in-progress. if u look at the screenshots, they gradually got better & better ... the graphics engine evolved, and the artists touched-up their work. and while im positive that it wouldnt look that great (lucasarts dont have a reputation of having the greatest real-time 3d graphics) , it would have looks pretty good and had some hi-quality animation (EFMI had pretty good animations). i think the overall "quality" wasnt that great because it wasnt the finalized work.

second, yes i am disappointed. i was really looking forward to the game, but i respect LEC for canning it (or putting it on hold?) if it wasnt going as planned. but i dont think the game was crap. see, every1 thinks that it was prolly canned cos it was crap, but no1 has though that hey, maybe game didnt come out as it was originally visioned. perhaps the game started as an adventure w/ action elements, but morphed itself into more of an action game ... this lead lec to say "wait-a-sec, this isnt right ... its not gonna please the fans". it might be on hold, or it might be canned ... who knows ... all i kno is that the game couldnt have been THAT bad (otherwise it wouldve been canned waaay back, or not even announced), and that if its just on hold, it can only get better ...

thirdly, im kinda disappointed by the pessimism of the community. every1 seems to think that LEC makes rubbish now, and their old games were waaay better and they should stick to point-and-clicks. well they cant stick to point-and-clicks ... theres no market for them anymore (Syberia was a good game, but it didnt sell well). and whats the point if LEC just falls back on their old designs? dont we want innovation ... something new, something to take the industry by storm? FT2 could have (potentially) been another Grim Fandango ... a game that dared to be different and succeeds because of it.

but u kno what, it really wouldnt have mattered ... because in the minds of many theres no way any sequel to FT could have been better than the original. they'd complain about the voice-overs (not the "real" ben), the 3d game, the combat, etc. these people want more point-and-clicks, but whats the point of churning out the same old stuff ... IMO the genre would have been totally dead if it were not for Grim Fandango ... it innovated and it suceeded, what makes u think FT2 wouldnt have been able to do the same?

let the flames begin :)

SiN

ps : the bold text is to emphasize a point ... not screaming :)

If you say that we should let LucasArts try to make "something new", something "to take the industry by storm"... well... FT2 wasn't something like that AT ALL. It was "Tomb Raider"... it was "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb", it was nothing original at all.

And concerning graphics... most people say "it's not about the graphics, it's about gameplay" and I don't agree at all. In times of "Half Life 2" and "Doom 3" you see what's possible, and why should we accept terrible graphics in FT2 or S&M2? Just because we should be happy to get our most wanted sequels AT ALL? A few years in the past I thought of the "Lucas-Empire" as a group of pioneers to break new grounds. ILM was ALWAYS a pioneer in visual effects, Skywalker Sound became a pioneer in the field of post-production and LucasArts was kind of a pioneer when it came to point-and-click adventures (and don't tell me FT1 had bad graphics :p ).

But LucasArts has kind of lost it. They don't even TRY to be inventive these days... and so they swim with the flow, and do console games. Racers, Fighting Games and so called "Action Adventures", nothing original, just stuff that could be sold, no matter what.

Looking at Sam & Max 2 (and as terrible as the trailer looks, I still hope it was done in a rush) I think it is VERY promising, and that it could be THE game we're longing for. Unfortunately there aren't very much facts known about it. And even the statement that it WILL be pure adventure, and it WILL be point-and-click don't make me feel better, because when FT2 was announced, it was announced as an adventure too, and I am not sure how much of these promises will become reality...

(Excuse my many "AT ALL"s)

Archived