Home

Full Throttle 2 cancelled

Remi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by telarium

No, my guess is that it has more to do with the fact that LucasArts doesn't offer a competitive salary. More often than not, you end up getting what you pay for.

Do they think they can pay less because the employees have the privilege of working for George Lucas' company? That seems shortsighted to me from a business perspective, but I'm sure there are a lot of fans who might just do that.

it may be outhoused? now thats interesting. i bet that Double Fine will be the developer of choice for LucasArts ... founded by Tim himself, and they are a console development studio ... perfect for FT2 (providing they can make ports to the pc and other consoles)

and as for lucasarts and whether they'll make any more good adventure games ... who knows. the last amazing adventure game (as oppose to just good) they made was Grim Fandango , and alot of credit lies with Tim Schafer. with not many great designers left, lucasarts have to start recruiting new ones. they've started wisely though ... by outhousing development of most star wars games, they can attract people to make original games, not yet another star wars game (which im sure many developers wouldnt want to do)

what lucasarts should also do is recruit some decent 3d engine programmers ... they havent made a state-of-the-art-graphics game in years ! :)

hopefully, LEC should pull through ... they have made some of my faviorite games, and it would be a pity to see them go

SiN

Originally posted by SiN000

... they have made some of my faviorite games, and it would be a pity to see them go

SiN

They made/published the only games I love. The only non-lucasarts game I've ever really gotten into was Halo (though I do expect Half-Life 2 to blow me away too. I've never played the first one. But I digress...) I have complete and total faith in LEC. They may make a few mistakes, but they'll always please their fans in the end. Sure, the story in Emperor's Tomb was seriously lacking (for a Lucasarts game), but you can't say it wasn't fun to bash a Nazi's head in with a table leg.

And what's with all this Sam and Max 2 bashing? Personally, I think it's going to be awesome, mainly because I can't see how they can make it an action/adventure. It's just going to be a plain ol' adventure game, and I'm going to love it.

Don't worry, they'll try FT2 again, and they'll get it right.

I'd just like to say that I've never liked The Dig. Although it LOOKED beautiful. Empty, souless and without character or characterization.

Of course, I know a lot of people like it, but it's just made me wonder: What else has Sean Clarke worked on??

(If my above statement offends you, remember: It's just my opinion!)

~ John

I agree. I wouldn't go so far as to say that any LucasArts graphic adventure is a bad game... but The Dig would be the closest in my mind.

As for Sean Clark, he was a programmer on The Secret of Monkey Island CD-ROM and Fate of Atlantis. I met him at E3 once, and he seemed to be a good guy.

What really pisses me off about this is the fact that people are bad mouthing the graphics and whatnot.

Take it from me it is a BAD idea to judge a game on graphics alone. About 6 years ago when I was 11 I saw Monkey Island 1 & 2 at a store and I didnt buy it. Why? Because the graphics "were'nt as good as Monkey Island 3"(I had the demo). A few months later I bought Flight of the Amazon Queen (An adventure game inspired by MI) and soon found out that Monkey Island was the main insiration behind it and I also realised my mistake. Since then I was on the look for Monkey Island. The second time I saw it was in the LucasArts Archives Volume 3 alonside The Dig and Full Throttle. I should have bought it but I had no money so that was another oppurtunity slipped away. The third time however I was lucky. The Monkey Island Bounty Pack. I had the money, I bought it and it was fun. It really ****s me when someone judges a game on graphics. I dont know what the problem is. The graphics are excellent by my count. And it looks like it will play well.

So remember what I said about judging by graphics. DONT. I did and I regretted it.

You also need to consider that, although it isnt an extreme hardcore adventure title, niether was Quest for Glory. It was an adventure game with RPG elements (You had a health bar, you had to fight and other stuff, whilst still retaining the puzzle solving and inventory like in all adventure games). So just because FT2 isnt full of the stuff old gamers desire doesnt mean its gonna suck.

Oh and for the record, The Dig didnt suck ass.

There's a difference between graphics style and graphics technology. I think most of LEC's 320x220 games looked better, artistically speaking, than Full Throttle 2.

IMHO giving a "gameplay over graphics" speech is a little unfair to those who value an atmospheric, styleful representation of the story.

Yeah, a game can be in 320x200 with 16 colors and still have a lot of atmosphere if done right artistically, something MI1 is proof of.

FT2 looked just kinda blah for the most part, examples being the Kickstand and all the midget characters which are just weird (no offense to midgets out there). Check out this, this, this and furthermore this to see great examples of how the graphics does nothing to pull you in.

What really pisses me off about this is the fact that people are bad mouthing the graphics and whatnot.

Could you be more specific? The graphics looked CRAP. The graphics from FT1 looked BETTER than FT2!

That of course doesn't mean it was a bad game because it had bad graphics... and no-one here has claimed that (that I've noticed).

~ John

Originally posted by LucasTones

And Joshi, as much as you might not like this, LucasArts biggest commitment should be to the Star Wars fans. The company wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the Star Wars movies, and there are millions more Star Wars fans than Monkey Island fans, or Grim Fandango fans. The fact that they used to make adventure games so often is that they were obviously good at them, and that genre was very popular in the early 90's. Adventure games lose popularity, LucasArts move on - simple.

I understand that completely, Star Wars is there main source of income, and with just the one more movie coming out, they only have a limited source of income from the movie genre of Star Wars so they will always be coming out with the game and it will almost certainly always be action and/or strategy. And yes, adventure games are, well, not dying, but losing popularity, and the fan base of adventure games alone is not enough anymore, so LEC moves on (I'm rerally trying not to call them LEC, it's hard to think of anything else). But a low budget adventure game with good puzzels characters and story wouldn't cost that much to make, but would keep enough people happy that they would at least make their money back and then some (not much, but some) thus restoring our faith in LEC's abilities to make good adventure games. Then again, I have no business abilities to fall back on, so what do I know, but it's a thought.

Just because there's only one Star Wars film to go (that we know of) doesn't mean they're going to have no income. There was a 16 year gap between two of the films and they managed to pad that out quite nicely. Maybe after Episode III things will go back to the way they were...

Originally posted by RemiO

Yeah, a game can be in 320x200 with 16 colors and still have a lot of atmosphere if done right artistically, something MI1 is proof of.

FT2 looked just kinda blah for the most part, examples being the Kickstand and all the midget characters which are just weird (no offense to midgets out there). Check out this, this, this and furthermore this to see great examples of how the graphics does nothing to pull you in.

Absolutely, but also keep in mind that this game was a work-in-progress. I mean, take a look at some early Secret Weapons over Normandy screens and compare them to some of the more recent ones. So FT2's graphics may have improved later on.

Then again, maybe they were just crap.

Right. One of the crappiest shots was the last one you mentioned. The Kickstand looked like a stand-in. But then, why would they use a stand-in map for a location of such importance? And why make such a screenshot public? If you compare that bar with the one in Vice City (movie clip) you can only pity the three signs and bunch of bottles in an otherwise black room!

I'm glad it got cancelled. It looked like utter crap. And although the graphics were really bad, that's NOT the main reason I wasn't interested in it. The gameplay didn't seem at all appealing to me. I can actually live with absolutely abysmal graphics if the most important parts* of the game (story, gameplay) are good.

* Just my opinion

I was sort of looking forward to FT2, but am glad, in a way, that Lucasarts cancelled it, because it would've killed their reputation for making quality adventure games.

But do you know why it was cancelled? It was our own faults. We sat around in these forums and criticized FT2, and Lucasarts announced it cancelled. Why? Note what the quote said about only wanting to bring quality games to us. We criticized the, they saw our insults, and decided they'd get less beatings from loyal FT1 fans if they trashed the sequel.

And, you guys, if you don't cut this out, they're going to can Sam and Max 2. SO STOP YELLING AT LUCASARTS!!!!

We all wish this forum had the power to break games but I think not. As twisted and awesome as it may be to feel like you've somehow contributed to a decision at LucasArts, I'd guess the reason was a lot more complicated and hidden than "the fans were constantly complaining about the game on the forums."

Archived