Home

Violence, the past and the present

How many times do we hear people complaint about violence being so present in movies, on TV and in video games?

Too much might I say...

For it is untrue!

These persons have censored plenty of TV shows, mostly kids shows. But are those shows less violent or even more?

Let's look at a few shows from the 80's-early90's and some more recent:

GI joe: Who doesn't remember this classic. So much gunfire and violence but it was a fight between two factions and it was actually less violent then the following show.

Pokemon: You call this non-violent? *cough*cough* Enslaving pets, putting in tiny balls and releasing to fight for you to the death. Isn't that not more barbaric?!

Any of the old 80's show: When a friend of the main hero got captured by his evil enemies, he went to save him by force(logical).

Yu-Gi-Oh: When someone's soul gets captured in this show, even though the hero has great magical powers, he's gonna go play a card game to save his friend...(yes....)

As a matter of facts, the shows kids watch these days promote stupidity and not honor among the everyone. There is nothing wrong with a little less violence but it's getting stupid to try and ban everything...

Now movies...hmmm...nothing they've always been violent and will always be. Then again it's not like kids show. Nevermind this.

Video games:

I am one of the firm believers that violent games are actually better for people then some may think. It relieves you of your violent pulsions(hey it's true!) and makes you harmlessly kill bots. It's better then real people.

Now I look back at the kids who were born about 5 to 8 years after me and...well I see mostly dumbasses(not all mostly). I mean they're completely walled in and therefore no nothing like we did. In the old times we pretended to be Power Rangers and fought each other for fun...now it has been banned and a lot more has too. In some school here, dodgeball has been banned because you threw a ball against someone to "kill" him/her. WTF?

There's a difference in showing kids the Silence of the lambs Trilogy or Pulp Fiction and slightly put them in context so they can much better live through life. We are not unsensitive toward violence but to some extent it must be part of people lives so they won't be influenced by what one person might say.

Look at it, if you don't know anything, someone cantell you somebody else did something horrific. You won't ask_yourself any questions and will follow whatever someone tells you. You end up stupid in life.

I know this is lon but frakly I'm very pissed by a lot of hippies who think that in their little circle, life would be so much better.

It all simply stems from people's natural tendency to blame anyone but themselves for their own problems and shortcomings. We look at people with problems and place blame on others when it almost always is the individual's fault. No one nowadays is willing to take responsibility for their bad decisions, so therefore when kids get violent, it HAS to be video games or movies, instead of the parents, or peers, or (heavens no!) the children themselves.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

jesus... this crap going on on this continent is nothing compared to some of the stuff in the eastern hemisphere of the world.

Well, we're not really talking about the severity of the crime or misdoing, but more about the reasons given for their causes, whatever they might be.

I was watching a show the other day that showed the story of a teen who killed himself. The program went into quite some detail with their interviews of friends, basically coming to the conclusion that he was devastated when his girlfriend left him, leading to his suicide. Apparently, he tried to talk to his dad about his breakup, but the parent just put it aside attributing his son's slightly depressed attitude to regular teen behavior. After the suicide, he blames the music that his son listened to... :eek:

A clear example of the phenomenon Tie Guy just explained, I think. "It can't have been my fault. That did it!"

Yeah...while I don't think that video games MAKE anyone do anything...it does give them the thoughts...the possibility is there. Heck I've learned about the most freacked out tortures and quickest ways to kill people just by reading or watching movies. I'd never have found most of those ways out if I hadn't been exposed to that violence.

Video games help mature one's tactical reflexes. If A happens then you know very quickly to do B. Sure it doesn't put a kid through boot camp really to play through America's Army and Splinter Cell won't make you a stealthy killer, BUT it will give you the concept...you see how they move, you see how they react, you see what they have to do to win and you file that away. You ask any FPS enthusiast to explain how he was able to beat a level so well and he'll be able to discribe his tactics. Heck there is even a bizzare possibility that a bunch of insane clanmates could grab real AKs, grab a set of Radio headsets for each and go off and kill with the tactics they had ironed out while playing online together.

Now I've done all of the above...played violent video games, watched violent movies, read violent books...but the thing is...I have morals and I stick to them. Morals are what you get taught by your parents and your peers from the day you are born to your dieing day. If you don't have the proper morality...if you are one of those people who just love to bully or just have a sick personality or even just a person who is in the process of questioning their morals...then this gives you the knowledge on how to act more efficently while commiting the crime...many times it even gives you the idea on how to pull off the crime...but it didn't make you commit it.

I believe guns are also way too accessible in the US(pointing at Texas). As a paradox, the media and a few shows are actually to be blame as part of the problem.

I was watching America's Most Wanted to see what that looked like. Geez when you know that these stories are true, if I lived in the US I'd buy myself a whole lot of weapons! These shows are part of the paranoia problem which makes everyone own a gun, therefore making guns accessible to kids. In many countries, owning a gun for personnal use is illegal(such as Japan) or heavily restrained(Canada). Does anybody this is the way to go?

I did a research on gun carrying and stuff for school this last year. We were in teams and we had to do a debate between ourselves. I was on the pro-gun side (not by choice really, but anyhow). Arguments for our side : the cops cant help you fast enough, its better to have one and not needing it than not haveing one and needing it, politicians have armed bodyguads for their life so why cant you be protected ? and so on. . .

on the other side : guns are made to kill people ! Children can get their hands on them, and stuff. . .

If guns were outlawed, then only outlaws would have guns.

No, the problem isn't the gun, it's the people using them. Kids who become violent with guns usually have some sort of hunting equipment or other gun that it would make no sense to outlaw, and adults can get whatever guns they want on the black market, so outlawing guns doesn't do anything except take guns out of the hands of upstanding citizens.

Again, the people, not the weapons, are the problem. Just because you have guns doesn't mean you have to kill people with them. And to my knowledge, Texas doesn't have a higher gun homocide rate than average.

Maybe total outlawing of guns might not be the solution but restraining their use might be a better choice. Here in Canada we have to declare the possesion of a gun and have a special permit with which you can buy ammo.

Of course this does not solve the problem but it's one step forward.

When you can buy guns at Wal-Mart, it's starting to get weird. Anybody saw "Bowling for Columbine"? In it we see one of the victims who goes back to the Wal-Mart where those kids got their guns(and we're not talking hunting equipment only). It shows how easily accessible guns are.

You do have to have a license (in most states, at least) to buy/carry/use guns.

And blaming Columbine on Wal-Mart or gun retailers is completely unfair when it is clear all the blame should fall on the actual criminals who committed it.

That's like blaming obesity on cows, since they provide the beef for the burgers that can make people fat.

Videogames aren't the only media immune from this bull****, We've heard about the evils of TV (I remember Dan Qualye saying that Murphy Brown was like evil because of Single Motherhood) and music (Again, Dan Qualye and the whole 'Cop Killer' thing) and nowadays Video Games (Joe Liberman. 'Nuff said, see, I can be bi-partisian.)

The only thing to blame are the crimes themselves, anyone who is convinced to kill because of video games is pretty ****ed up in the first place anyway and probably would do that anyway.

Archived