Home

Dark Forces...

GonkH8er

Yes, but I don't remember which ones. I don't think the ones I got were much anything special. I remember one where you were supposed to kill Vader, and one on Alderaan or something. I'll likely download some of the higher rating levels from TACC and DF-21 since I recently installed DF.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I'm afraid you're wrong, Duke3D used the "Build" engine, while DF used the "Jedi" engine developed by LucasArts.

There were rumors at the time of DF's release that they had "stolen" the Doom engine code, but I don't think there was anything to them (obviously, or Id would have sued). Of course that would have been silly anyway, since there were other games that used the Doom engine out and others that didn't long before DF came out.

Isn't it ironic now that the Dark Forces series now uses the ID Quake 3 engine, anyway theyt might not release the Dark Forces Source Code because they are worried that there is a chance that ID may sue them over that whole stealing the code issue, as I read in that Dark Forces FAQ, they apparently confessed to ripping apart the Doom engine.

But then again what chance does a by comparrison puny game company have against the mighty George Lucas.

Originally posted by HaruGlory89

I have a super-three-level demo version, which I got from The Lucasarts Collection II.

Unfortunately, I got it a bit too late and it can't run on my ME.

Check the other thread. I got it to work fine on an XP. ;)

I have both the DOS version and the 'enhanced' Mac version.

The DOS version has been in a box for ... years ;). The Mac version is still on my Powerbook, and I play it occasionally. The Mac enhancements - 640 x 480 resolution and enhanced sound - make the game much more playable these days. It is still a very enjoyable game.

Doom I liked, and didn't get DF until a bit later, and played it and Duke 3D to death for quite a while ... lots o'fun.

I like the idea of no mid-level saves, with multiple lives. That was one thing I actually liked in Red Faction II - no quicksaves, just checkpoints. Sure it was a console port thing rather than a thoughtful addition, but it was a pain in the a** and I liked it :)

I am still hopeful of the DF on JKII release ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

I have both the DOS version and the 'enhanced' Mac version.

The DOS version has been in a box for ... years ;). The Mac version is still on my Powerbook, and I play it occasionally. The Mac enhancements - 640 x 480 resolution and enhanced sound - make the game much more playable these days. It is still a very enjoyable game.

Doom I liked, and didn't get DF until a bit later, and played it and Duke 3D to death for quite a while ... lots o'fun.

I like the idea of no mid-level saves, with multiple lives. That was one thing I actually liked in Red Faction II - no quicksaves, just checkpoints. Sure it was a console port thing rather than a thoughtful addition, but it was a pain in the a** and I liked it :)

I am still hopeful of the DF on JKII release ...

Mike

Oh it will come, no matter how long it takes us ;)

Originally posted by The_One

Oh it will come, no matter how long it takes us ;)

Oh I know - I've been keeping an eye on the forums and site. You guys have quite a bumpy ride, though ...

Thing is - there are some games worth preserving in a playable state. Dark Forces is one of them, IMO.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, it's $9.99, at first I thought I read $19.99.

I came up with this from amazon.com:

Star Wars: Dark Forces (Jewel Case)

Other products by LucasArts Entertainment

Price: $9.99

Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 2 weeks

26 used & new from $2.99

Platform: Windows 95 / 98 / Me

ESRB Rating: Teen (Content suitable for persons ages 13 or older.)

See more pictures | System requirements

Note to Customers: Realistic Violence (what this means)

Features:

- Stop the Empire from creating a doomsday army

- Fully interactive environments include morphing walls and moving platforms

- Call on 10 lethal weapons to fight 20 enemies

- First-person combat

- Single player only

It's a bit pricey for a game as old as it is, I imagine by surfing around at some other online retailers you could find a better price.

• 7 months later...

Archived