Home

Win2k and JK2

coder2000

I have installed JK2 on my win2k machine and it will not run. It just loads and constantly takes up all my available resources. I can play it in safe mode but regular I can't. I think it may have something to do with the resolution I set it runs at that resolution so there should be nothing preventing it from opening. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how can I fix it?

Running JK2 DOES hog all your resources normally. CPU activity goes up to near 100% on my 2.4GHz P4 as soon as the game starts loading, much less playing.

Of course, I am assuming you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from your videocard's manufacturer's website.

Don't know if you are talking about Single Player (SP) or Multiplayer (MP), but in either case, launch the game in Safe Mode and try the following:

1. Open the console (shift ~) and type

/set com_HunkMegs 128 or 256, then exit and restart the game. Try 128 first. This will allow the game to use more memory.

2. Go to Setup, Sound. Set Sound Quality: Low and EAX: Off.

3. Go to Setup, Video. Set Video Quality: Fastest.

4. Go to Setup, More Video. Set Video Sync: On, Dynamic Lights: Off, Wall Marks: Off, Anisotropic Filter: Off.

If you are able to get the game running in Normal Mode, then start adjusting these settings one at a time and verifying that the game still runs. For instance, if it runs at 640x480, try increasing to 800x600. If it still works, try enabling Dynamic Lights, etc. See which settings cause the most trouble and which you can live with at the lowest settings.

Archived