Home

Scummvm on standalone CD

There is a project for making standalone bootable CD:s of your favourite game supported by scummvm. When you have the cd it is just to insert the cd and start your computer (not inside windows, it should boot from scratch).

What it does is simply put a linux kernel on the cd plus scummvm plus your game and then it just runs (hopefully). Just take the cd with you and you can play the game on any computer with a cd!

I have not tested it myself and apparently the latest version is somewhat buggy, but it is a nice initiative.

ScummLinux

Don't get me wrong, but I think the idea to have SCUMMVM on a bootable CD is somewhat useless.

I find it very hard to find a person who wants to reboot his system just to play an old adventure game (and reboot back to his previous system to back to work) when all he can do is just double click on a SCUMMVM icon on the desktop to run it.

However, running it on GBA......(drool....) :) :)

I agree that if you work on the beforehand it is rather redundant, but that isn't the only case:

• If you have your computer switched off and just want to play a nice little adventure game. It will work almost like a console.
  • If you go somewhere, to a computer that you aren't allowed/don't want to install things on, then it is good to be able to play it without having to install anything on the computer.
  • [Fill up with more use cases here]

Originally posted by Wakane

I find it very hard to find a person who wants to reboot his system just to play an old adventure game (and reboot back to his previous system to back to work)

Heh, but there are such freaks :)

For example, for playing Big Red Adventure I had to switch my Video Card to S3Virge, not mentioning replacing HD with one with MS-DOS 6.22 installed :p

Originally posted by yacek

Heh, but there are such freaks :)

For example, for playing Big Red Adventure I had to switch my Video Card to S3Virge, not mentioning replacing HD with one with MS-DOS 6.22 installed :p

Wel....that's because you had to :)

If, for example, you can run your BRA by just clicking an icon in your desktop, you wouldn't want to go thru all those troubles everytime you wanna start the game, would you? :)

Really nice :)

The Dreamcast is a great console, though i don't have one (but they still sell them in some shops).

I think it was really ahead of it's time (graphics etc).

Same goes for the game gear (also by sega). (I spent hours in some local store playing sonic on a game gear :p )

Archived