06s.jpg 09s.jpg

Click for large.

title - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

genre - 3rd person action

publisher - Rockstar Games

developer - Remedy

platform - PC, Xbox, PS2

release date - Q4 2003

The plotline, which will reportedly have more twists and turns than the original, is perhaps taking the biggest twist by focusing on that "film noir love story." While the original game focused on Max Payne getting revenge for the murder of his wife and daughter, the romantic elements were certainly missing. This time around, the love story theme will play a much bigger part as Max becomes involved with killer-for-hire Mona Sax. In the different sequences that were displayed, Max and Mona seem causal and have a bit of playful banter when they cross paths -- even after Mona blasts away a few villains wearing dark ski masks (we can only imagine what turns on a guy like Max).

Full preview, Gamespy

05s.jpg 08s.jpg

Over the course of the game's story, it will be revealed that Max will get framed once again, but he'll react much differently, considering that he's tired of fighting the system, as well as his own loneliness.

In other words, Max Payne 2 will be, as you might have heard, a love story--or as Rockstar describes it, a "film noir love story." His main love interest will be the beautiful and mysterious Mona Sachs, a murder suspect who had previously had a few run-ins with the law--and with Max himself--before the events in the sequel.

....Like in the original game, the story in Max Payne 2 will be told through graphic-novel-style still pictures narrated by the characters, though we were assured that these sequences, along with in-engine cinematics and actual events in the game itself, will help unfold a much tighter, more cohesive story that may even include some risqué sequences that detail how the complex relationship between Max and Mona unfolds, both emotionally and physically. Though the game won't feature any obviously graphic scenes, there may be some innuendo from time to time, at least between the game's action sequences.

Full preview, Gamespot

I dunno about you guys, but after viewing these in-game screenshots, I actually laughed at the idea of Doom3 being the most realistic looking title soon to be out there. I think Max Payne 2's gameworld makes Doom3's gameworld look like an overwrought sideshow drama queen's chrome and wax museum, but that's just my 2 cents - and my time well spent laughing.

The plotline, which will reportedly have more twists and turns than the original, is perhaps taking the biggest twist by focusing on that "film noir love story."

twists, twists, twists, twists......YEYEYE

i like plot twists....:D

and LoVe!!!!!.......:) max payne needed that.....

i love love stories...and film noir is my best plots....

WEEEEE.....it's gonna rock......:cool:

Originally posted by Homoludens

What if someone made a film noir style detective themed adventure game set in the 1930s with that hyperrealistic look using the Max Payne engine? :eek:

That would be great, a bit like Mafia but with better graphics..............................................and without the Mob. :rolleyes:

Actually I was thinking with the vintage cars.

My point was that Mafia had a, in my opinion, great plot. The story itself I wouldn't use for an adventure game, but the Mafia world, the city, would be a great place to use for an adventure game.

I'm talking the WHOLE BIG city with tons of people to talk with and you wouldn't be forced to walk as in almost any other adventure game. Instead you'd take a taxi, a car (but not by stealing it, some other way), a bus or even a bike or a bloody Vespa, whatever you want.

This would of course mean that the game would be very non-linear, which would mean that the story would possibly suffer, but not necessarily.

The non-linearity would on the other hand mean that the replayability value would be high and the game experience would probably be better, it always is if the player feels like he/she is controlling the course of the story instead of the game.

This probably wasn't what you had in mind, but this was the idea that just popped into my head when I read your second post in this thread.

P.S. Where you talking more in the lines of Post Mortem, but better, because that was the second game that came to my mind when I was thinking about the possibilities of your idea?

I probably thought about Post Mortem, because it's set in the 1930s, I think, and it's a detective game also. With a bit more fine tuning PM could have been something like the game you were thinking about, except for the graphics of course.

I really think the purpose of the Max Payne engine would be lost in a non-action game. I mean, unless a lot of the cinematics were to focus on slow-motion and little bits and piece of wall flying every which way, and bullet casings dropping on the floor like rain. And then, of course, rain.

You could most likely make quite the gritty, realistic noir in the Source engine, though, since it's modability gives you endless possibilities, from what I've read.

Yes, I'm quite the Source whore, aren't I.

Oh, and btw, those screens look just spunktastic! Especially the one with the car blowing up in the background. It just oozes action.

Does he use bullet time during the love scenes?

If they're going for film noir romance then they just basically told you the plot, Sachs/sax must emotionally castrate Max and frame him for a crime she committed.

I wonder if they'll let her get away with it like Wendy Kroy (Linda Fiorentino *drool*) in "The Last Seduction" or go with the traditional hollywood ending where the strong independent woman with the means and moxy to take advantage of the 'hero' is brought to heel by closing credits.

Originally posted by deadworm222

Literally...

I just knew that someone would get the double meaning of that word and point it out, goddamit! :mad::o

Originally posted by Crunchy in milk

Does he use bullet time during the love scenes?

:naughty:

Interesting idea you got there, Crunchy.

Over the course of the game's story, it will be revealed that Max will get framed once again

What a great idea ! :rolleyes: In Max Payne 3 I guess they will frame him again and then again and again...

Sorry but just as well as 1st part this one is only action oriented title with cliche plot serving as a pretext for shooting.

Edit Ok so maybe I'm wrong... maybe it will be even MORE action oriented with even MORE pretentious story.

Originally posted by Wajus

Edit Ok so maybe I'm wrong... maybe it will be even MORE action oriented with even MORE pretentious story.

Originally posted by remixor

With a title like Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne: A Film Noir Love Story, how could it not be?

smile2.gif Yeah, Wajus. Ummm, what exactly were you expecting? A Pulitzer Prize winning story and script? The Longest Journey but with guns and violence?

Originally posted by Homoludens

smile2.gif Yeah, Wajus. Ummm, what exactly were you expecting? A Pulitzer Prize winning story and script? The Longest Journey but with guns and violence?

Just a decent story. Is that "so" much or maybe "to" much to ask for?

The question is, how many times can you frame a guy?

Edit: I dedicate the stripe below to pleto4ryan:

danejoe0011.png

Of course this has completely nothing to do with MP2.

Well, that cartoon illustrates my point. In action games (especially first person shooters) the depth and scope of the story is proportional to the amount and complexity of the action and gameplay. The typical mindset of developers is that you can't introduce a story that's too complex and sophisticated, as it'll start fighting with the action for the player's attention and result in an unbalanced game experience. The typical mindset of the action gamer has very little room to pay attention to the story or characters - they just wanna ultimately jump into the action. The Max Payne series at least gives the gamers' experience some texture and motivation (other than shooting everyone in sight) to plow through them as games. If you throw in too many story curveballs - for example, Max struggling with existential and philosophical issues - do you honestly expect the action gamer to drop everything and ponder along? In this case I think the dark romantic angle is actually new and refreshing, although we don't yet know if it'll gel successfully with the game as a vital element.

There have been action and action/adventure games that have tried to balance substantial story and character development, for better or worse. I think Blair Witch 1 did a great job of it, an almost 50/50 ratio of adventure and combat. Deus Ex was another good one, but imperfectly so. But I think one of the most successful - and rarest - examples is the Silent Hill series, which literally had people thinking and talking about the story, characters, and events long after they've finished the games (for proof just poke into any SH forums - this one, for example).

Until your standard action gamer becomes more sophisticated in his/her discrimination (thus changing the market), you ain't gonna see action games with with deep, deep stories and characters.

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

...just that i hoped Max Payne had a so good story as longest journey :)

Oh, please! Let's be realistic here. Max Payne is an action game, not an adventure game.

Archived