Home

Max Payne 2: first previews and drop-dead gorgeous pics

Mafia's story was pretty straightforward, pleto. It was tailor made for the game as an action game. Which is my point. No, Mafia's story is not deep. Silent Hill, on the other hand, explores and/or suggests such things as the psychological pasts of characters, drug addiction, questions of psychic displacement, parallel realities, deviant forms of worshipping gods, issues of child abuse and torture, profound sadness, hoplesness, and despair, and more.

yep realism is good....but dreams aren't bad either

Oh, yes, I agree! But what I stated is the reality of gaming industry and gamer as it is now. Don't worry, pleto. We gamers are getting older, and are demanding far more now than simple sh#t like Serious Sam or Pong. Expect the next several years to give us some really ballsy stories for games of any genre.

No, Mafia's story is not deep. Silent Hill, on the other hand, explores and/or suggests such things as the psychological pasts of characters, drug addiction, questions of psychic displacement, parallel realities, deviant forms of worshipping gods, issues of child abuse and torture, profound sadness, hoplesness, and despair, and more.

yes, silent hill is incridible (still never plaied 1 and still not finished 2 but know about it :) )...and MAFIA don't have its depth but we mustn't say it has no depth...it has...(it's like godfather, but in the computer gaming industry)

We gamers are getting older, and are demanding far more now than simple sh#t like Serious Sam or Pong. Expect the next several years to give us some really ballsy stories for games of any genre.

totally agree, but just for the history, that games like pong and sam have their magic, as the "good" games ;)

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

yes, silent hill is incridible (still never plaied 1 and still not finished 2 but know about it :) )...and MAFIA don't have its depth but we mustn't say it has no depth...it has...(it's like godfather, but in the computer gaming industry)

Mafia's story is basically good storytelling within a game - kinda like The Godfather, as you said. You want to know what happens next, but it's not something you think deeply about later at night while lying in bed in the dark. Silent Hill, on the hand..... xyxnervous.gif

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

...but just for the history, that games like pong and sam have their magic, as the "good" games ;)

battlezone.jpg

I never really did get into Pong. But, Battlezone (above) was one of my most favourite games at the arcade when I was a kid. I used to save all my quarters, go to local corner store, and spend an hour or so playing with my friends. I loved it, there was something so elegant about the primitive 3D world with its minimalist green lines, pyramids, tanks, and mountains in the distance.

Originally posted by Homoludens

I loved it, there was something so elegant about the primitive 3D world with its minimalist green lines, pyramids, tanks, and mountains in the distance.

Some times Simple is far more complex and interesting than the "complex ones" :D

Mafia's story is basically good storytelling within a game - kinda like The Godfather, as you said. You want to know what happens next, but it's not something you think deeply about later at night while lying in bed in the dark.

You think of it....not as a way like a Devid Linch film, but the feelings...Don't tell me you didn't thought the game after and felt sad, nostalgic etc ?

I mean the story had one perfect ending...the story ended, there wasn't anything more to say....

That's the nice part ;)

Until your standard action gamer becomes more sophisticated in his/her discrimination (thus changing the market), you ain't gonna see action games with with deep, deep stories and characters.

Why already a deep, deep story? There's a lot of space between naive and deep story for a DECENT story.

There are many "action games" out there with such story. Half-Life, Silent Hill, Blair Witch, Mafia, Vampire: TM - Redemption etc.

Edit: Not to mention "story games" (with a deep, deep story) with elements of action:

Omikron, Outcast or LBA (Twinsen's Oddysey).

Archived