Home

Looking for Jedi Knight/MotS Strategy? Come to Hiss's!

Kurgan

Odd, I thought somebody was telling me the other day people were playing JK on the zone still.

I haven't been there in ages (I always played IP/Qtracker).

I wonder if Gamespy Arcade still supports it?

Hell.. you can still play DOOM online (doomconnector.com) so JK/MotS should definately have support.

Maybe we should start a campaign to get the IP boards back and compatible with Qtracker again... ; )

You could check the msn gaming zone or gamespy arcade, but really all you need to do is find somebody else who has the game, host a game (in game, choose multiplayer and host) and then give people your IP.

They choose join and type it in, and then they're set!

Sorry, but JK/MotS have no dedicated servers. Best played on a LAN if you can manage (good pings on the internet are 100-200 with 500 being probably the highest one could tolerate).

Check out http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/ for some help with playing with mods.

Trail's Guide has help posted with hosting and joining too if my comments weren't helpful enough (it's also of course a great all-around Single Player resource). http://www.jediknight.net/trail/guide.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Zone, Gamespy Arcade, and Qtracker all continue to support Jedi Knight. The majority of people who are still playing this game are doing so on the Zone. Gamespy Arcade has a very small community (less than 20 regulars), and Qtracker has even fewer (just me it seems). I don't believe the Zone supports MotS these days, and I'm not sure about Gamespy Arcade, but Qtracker does.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's much MUCH faster overall. Everything is quicker, and force powers are more risky to use (Jump too high and run too fast into a wall and you can DIE).

It's really fun, especially with all the mods and maps out there.

The only thing though is that the Saber combat is VERY SIMPLISTIC compared to JK2/JA. Basically there are 8 swings, but only one is truly useful online, and it can kill in 1-2 hits.

So just imagine a duel where people use the same move over and over again until one of them dies.

It was a ton of fun back in the day since there was nothing like it, but now that we have JA, the saber combat looks very dated.

However that said the rest of the game is masterful and the SP is much more forgiving (the puzzles are more logical and the guns play isn't so unforgivingly frustrating like JK2).

And unlike JK2 and JA, the SP and MP are virtually identical, so the skills you learn in one carry over into the other.

JK1 and MotS are based on the Peer to Peer system rather than Client Server. So no dedicated servers are possible, but that said, the game handles lag fairly well for smaller games (4 players on dialup, 8 on a LAN) and the lag is "more fair" (ie: you keep playing but you just have to lead more and hit people more times to kill them and people with faster connections don't have a huge advantage).

So if you are dead set on re-creating the saber dueling experiences of JK2/JA you won't find them here, but you will find a fun and fast paced game that's well worth playing through.

• 3 weeks later...

mmm i played this game for years before i even started playing JO. Let me tell you, if it wasn't for the graphics i'd still be playing SBX@ some map instead of jka. The saber and speeds were so much nicer then compaired to what we get in JA. heck in ja sometimes in the server i'm in we bring up speed and dmg, but it's still not like it, the swings are just too slow.. great game.. i miss it <sniff>

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gah, I remember the zone in the glory days, you were *never* unable to find a game. And while yes, the graphics were great it was the gameplay that made MP JK great. Of course the SP had simply one of the best storylines of any game. You *can* still find people but they're fewer and farther between than ever before.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Could someone help me? im stuck with the demo of MotS. i tried to close the blast doors but a tie bomber jammed it. help?(not help on closing the doors but on how to finish the demo)

The demo is finishable, and it's the same as the first level, so check out Trail's Guide for a complete walkthrough (while his JK guide is complete, he only does the first five SP missions of MotS, but that should be sufficient for ya).

Trail's Guide

(click on Walkthroughs and then click on the level you want, warning: contains spoilers!)

And yeah, it is too bad we don't have more JK/MotS games going, but that's what happens when a game doesn't have dedicated server support. We begged LucasArts, but they never came through on that part, on well. You can still hunt people up and setup a game over GameSpyArcade or Qtracker. Or you can find those guys running a few unofficial "dedicated servers." Massassi is probably a good place to start looking. There's also the Rbots Mod to simulate some of that old school bliss (even though it's not the same as the real thing!).

What I really wish is that LucasArts would release the source of JK, like ID software did with Doom/2. That would be so sweet.. then people could start making cool improvements to the engine like adding client server dedicated server support and better cheat protection. Then the game could truly live again!

MTFBWY

• 2 years later...

Well, we don't encourage piracy here, so I'd encourage you to purchase the real game (how expensive can it be these days?). I keep telling people I'm going to get a game going, but I've been so busy these past two years. I'm going to be gone two weeks later this month, but other than that I don't go back to school until late August, so who knows.

Archived