Home

Corrupted? (the first of my discussion)

TieDefender75

The rules for my discussion

- Try to post more than just a few sentences. Put some thought into it.

- No Spamming

- Do not flame others for their views

- Enjoy!

Lately, I've been seeing more and more people beginning to follow the lastest "craze" and such. Now, I'm fine with people wqanting to fit in a little, but some people are ridiculous. I know a person who bought a jacket one year, and wore it around 4 times. Then the next year, that person said that they want a new one because the current one "didn't look good." I'm used to this, but for some reason i can't seem to ignore this any longer. It has become so common that it drives me insane.

My question to you is: What makes it so good to follow the latest "crave?" Why do people change themselves into people that others want them to be? What does popularity get you in the end? Why are people so weak, as to actually follow what someone says? And finally, does our society promote these "crazes" too much, and how do they make it so effective?

I can't find the answers to these question, so maybe you can. I ask people i know why they do these things and they can't really reply. I don't see it, don't they like their uniqueness?

The answers to the questions whose answers you seek vary in different places. Different societies view things differently.

What makes it so good to follow the latest "crave?"

People like to fit in. Atleast that's the way I see it. When you 'fit in' people 'accept' you.

Why do people change themselves into people that others want them to be?

So that 'others' will like them better. True that there are different extents to which people conform in society. You're not gonna wear ugly clothes just because nobody else is wearing them and you want to be 'unique.' You're probably gonna wear a T-shirt and jeans, just because you like them, despite the other tens of millions of people wearing the same thing.

What does popularity get you in the end?

For some people, money. For some, fame. For some, personal satisfaction. For yet others, it brings 'status.' For me, unwanted attention ;) Different people look at it in different ways. Some like it, some don't.

Why are people so weak, as to actually follow what someone says?

What a person craves can make them do the craziest things. If you crave attention and popularity within a group, you will do what they expect a popular person to do, irrespective of its normality. Personally I can't believe people would do such things as get pierced...not ears or even noses...but tongues, belly buttons... :eek:

And finally, does our society promote these "crazes" too much, and how do they make it so effective?

Depends on the society. Here where I live, people embrace their uniqueness, yet they value their company. Some people only want to hang out with certain people. Other places, it's probably different.

Overall, I've always viewed this phenomenon as something of the past. More like an 80s thing. Nowadays you see those T-shirts that say "You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same." Dunno how long those have been around, but I personally view personnel uniqueness as a growing thing. Back in 17th century Salem it wasn't looked upon well at all...today, the situation's better. It's developing, and some day more people will learn that they are more than part of society. They are themselves.

People do what they see, and in this case, wear what they see on MTV. I find it silly. Large corporations do not.

The largest demographic in this country are the teenagers, so that is who everything from television to clothes to soft drinks are marketed towards.

I have never been one to follow the status quo, nor do I try to make my own statement. It seems these days trying to be "unique" has become common place. Look at the dozen or so kids in the malls wearing all black and dying their hair strange colors, with nose rings and rings everywhere else, it was once taboo and offbeat, but now its not.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Wear what you like, listen to whatever music you like. Do what makes you happy, not what some pitchman in an advertisement tells you will make you happy.

Popularity is a farce. I was considered "popular" in high school, being an athlete. But it was something I never really cared about. I had my friends, and that was all, we just happened to be considered "popular". I guess I was popular because I didn't care that I was, if that makes any sense.

Why are people so weak, as to actually follow what someone says?

It seems to me that a lot of kids in their teens strive for an identity so much, that they will follow any trend. This does not apply to teens alone, but they are the main focus.

And finally, does our society promote these "crazes" too much, and how do they make it so effective?

Most definately yes.

The marketing of it is so effective due to the amount of exposure the average person receives. Example: Trend A is seen on TV by a popular star, where soon enough Trend A is on the cover of Teen Beat, Maxim, Rolling Stone, etc,... , Trend A soon becomes a part of the movies, where the stars use this Trend because it is deemed "cool". People see Trend A in Music Videos, TV, magazines, and the Movies soooo much, that it is deemed "cool", and thus, a must have.

What is all boils down to is confidence in yourself, damn everyone else. I don't care if what I'm wearing is outdated or not cool, if its comfy, and doesn't smell bad, I'm wearing it. Its the same for personal appearance, if you like the way a certain haircut looks, get it, get it all the time. I've grown up a bit, so I have officially ditched my earings and goatee, but its because I don't want them any more, not bcause Ben Affleck said that earings and goatees aren't cool.

Thats my two cents.

I do not think people actually follow trends. At least not in the big metropolis that is Montreal.

Over here in the city, people do not follow any trends. They just clothe themselves as they see fit. Although there is an actual style per group. Skaters will clothe themselves like skaters, fresh will clothe themselves like fresh and hippies will clothe themselves as hippies. They just like it that's all.

It's true that nowadays people don't smoke a cigarette to be "cool" or smoke a joint or anything. I have friends who do and they are pretty nice people. They're still my friends and never incited me to do it ever.

At my school there is no more this guy is popular this guy is not. We live within our own little gang of friends and that's it that's all.

Perhaps these trend following problems and people easily influence by what a certain magazine says is more of a problem outside of the big cities.

People don't get to see all the difference between the various groups and follow what someone says 'cause hey they think that's what we do in the big city.

Believe me I'm a teen and I know what I'm talking about.

Now for the need to be part of a group is simply natural. It's not like everyone else says that hey I hang around popular kids or anything. I believe it's because of the natural human instinct of being more powerful or better protected while within a group.

However it's pretty ridiculous to do anything to be part of a group. One message: If you have to do something to be part of a certain group, don't do it. These people aren't good friends.

Society tries to promote it(at least I believe they're only trying) of course put nowadays going against society is actually more popular(there's a certain irony).

What I really hate is those people who only hang around their own ethnic group. That pisses me off royally...

Anyway that's my contribution.

Whoa.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

I do not think people actually follow trends. At least not in the big metropolis that is Montreal.

You are blind. It's just as bad here as anywhere else.

Over here in the city, people do not follow any trends. They just clothe themselves as they see fit. Although there is an actual style per group. Skaters will clothe themselves like skaters, fresh will clothe themselves like fresh and hippies will clothe themselves as hippies. They just like it that's all.

Of course they like it. But they still follow a trend, a fad. You don't see people clothing themselves 80's style anymore, even though they used to like it. It's just not "in" anymore, so they don't do it (except for a few people which makes them look like dorks).

It's true that nowadays people don't smoke a cigarette to be "cool" or smoke a joint or anything. I have friends who do and they are pretty nice people. They're still my friends and never incited me to do it ever.

Don't generalize. Some people still get into that **** just to be accepted. They're weak and it's the only way for them to fit in.

At my school there is no more this guy is popular this guy is not. We live within our own little gang of friends and that's it that's all.

Your school is definitely part of the exception rather than the norm, then. Or maybe you just don't see the different popularity levels at your school.

Perhaps these trend following problems and people easily influence by what a certain magazine says is more of a problem outside of the big cities.

People don't get to see all the difference between the various groups and follow what someone says 'cause hey they think that's what we do in the big city.

Again, you're blind to the realities. You're looking at this too much on a personal level. You need to take a step back and look at the population as a whole. Do you see everyone talk about Irak and Saddam in the streets today? Why not, he was the big talk six months ago. It's just how people live.

Believe me I'm a teen and I know what I'm talking about.

That's an oxymoron, teens don't know what they're talking about :D Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Now for the need to be part of a group is simply natural. It's not like everyone else says that hey I hang around popular kids or anything. I believe it's because of the natural human instinct of being more powerful or better protected while within a group.

However it's pretty ridiculous to do anything to be part of a group. One message: If you have to do something to be part of a certain group, don't do it. These people aren't good friends.

Society tries to promote it(at least I believe they're only trying) of course put nowadays going against society is actually more popular(there's a certain irony).

That is true. Most goth or punk people say they are anti-conformists, but in fact they are conforming to a new fashion fad O_O That is pretty lame. A true anti-conformist will simply dress like he or she wants to, not caring about what other people wear.

What I really hate is those people who only hang around their own ethnic group. That pisses me off royally...

Anyway that's my contribution.

That's their choice. Believe it or not, racism is still part of society. It may not be as strong as it was a hundred years ago, but it's definitely there. Some people just decide to stay away from racism by hanging around their own ethnic group.

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Whoa.

You are blind. It's just as bad here as anywhere else.

Of course they like it. But they still follow a trend, a fad. You don't see people clothing themselves 80's style anymore, even though they used to like it. It's just not "in" anymore, so they don't do it (except for a few people which makes them look like dorks).

Don't generalize. Some people still get into that **** just to be accepted. They're weak and it's the only way for them to fit in.

Your school is definitely part of the exception rather than the norm, then. Or maybe you just don't see the different popularity levels at your school.

Again, you're blind to the realities. You're looking at this too much on a personal level. You need to take a step back and look at the population as a whole. Do you see everyone talk about Irak and Saddam in the streets today? Why not, he was the big talk six months ago. It's just how people live.

That's an oxymoron, teens don't know what they're talking about :D Sorry I just couldn't resist.

That is true. Most goth or punk people say they are anti-conformists, but in fact they are conforming to a new fashion fad O_O That is pretty lame. A true anti-conformist will simply dress like he or she wants to, not caring about what other people wear.

That's their choice. Believe it or not, racism is still part of society. It may not be as strong as it was a hundred years ago, but it's definitely there. Some people just decide to stay away from racism by hanging around their own ethnic group.

(everytime I skip a line, skip one in the quotation)

Its true

People dont dress like its the 80' because, the clothes arent sold anymore and others will consider you like a weirdo. Its fashion : it changes, ppl need something new, its boring to wear the same things for 30 years, u no ? For example, nobody plays atari anymore because its outdated, just like clothes.

That depends on the ppl. Some ppl are insecure and dont stand for what they are because theyre afraid to be rejected. So they try to fit in by doing what other ppl do. I got friends who smoke, I dont care, I hate the smell of that crap. Theyre not harassing me to take some and I dont want any either.

At Brebeuf, ppl form groups and stuff, they hang around ppl who share interrests and stuff, but a few ppl arent really part of any group, though they dont get insulted or anythin.

I think its the same everywhere, because what influences the clothing fashion is everywhere : TV ! You see all those famous ppl wearing this and that and what do you theyre considered cool, so ppl do the same.

no comments. . .

Some of those ppl are original, because thats what they would wear even if others wouldnt dress that way. But yes, once again group influence affects everyone, like it or not.

That annoys me too, I have friends in many "groups" (Im not part of every group where I have a friend though). PPl stay in their ethnic group because they are less likely to reject them. Its all about being in or out nowadays.

1 reason I though of that hasnt been mentioned yet is : some ppl just lack fashion style so they copy other ppl. (kinda obvious no?)

(see original post)

PPl arent weak, imagine this : you are surrounded by 10000 tall strongerthanyouare guys all wearing the same shirt/pants. What will you wear, honestly ? You know theyre going to reject you if you wear something else, so what choice do you have ?

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Whoa.

1.You are blind. It's just as bad here as anywhere else.

2.Of course they like it. But they still follow a trend, a fad. You don't see people clothing themselves 80's style anymore, even though they used to like it. It's just not "in" anymore, so they don't do it (except for a few people which makes them look like dorks).

3. Don't generalize. Some people still get into that **** just to be accepted. They're weak and it's the only way for them to fit in.

4. Your school is definitely part of the exception rather than the norm, then. Or maybe you just don't see the different popularity levels at your school.

5.Again, you're blind to the realities. You're looking at this too much on a personal level. You need to take a step back and look at the population as a whole. Do you see everyone talk about Irak and Saddam in the streets today? Why not, he was the big talk six months ago. It's just how people live.

6.That's an oxymoron, teens don't know what they're talking about :D Sorry I just couldn't resist.

7.That is true. Most goth or punk people say they are anti-conformists, but in fact they are conforming to a new fashion fad O_O That is pretty lame. A true anti-conformist will simply dress like he or she wants to, not caring about what other people wear.

8. That's their choice. Believe it or not, racism is still part of society. It may not be as strong as it was a hundred years ago, but it's definitely there. Some people just decide to stay away from racism by hanging around their own ethnic group.

1. Perhaps or my corner of the world is less influenced.

2. Of course...no one would ever clothe themselves 80's style...1880's I'm talking about:p

3. Yeah now that you remind me of this I kind of know someone who "tried" to fit in...I said "tried"...

There'S this kid who thinks he's so tough at my school but he has n friends...he started to smoke to "fit in"...everyone just thought that was pathetic...

4. No doubt we are an exception. Of course some persons are more "known" but certainly not popular.

5. No we don,t talk about Saddam that's a fact. But we still talk about Bush...everyone still says that he's a murderous *****, a lying a-hole, a corrupted bastard...and this is in no magazine!

Believe me in the big city we follow it a bit less...you remember the mixmania mania? Well I've observed that most fans were out of town and th most of us(people who are sane) said f*** mixmania.

6. *cough* cough* ahem...

7. Indeed.

8. I know a LOT about that seeing racism on both sides, immigrants and non-immigrants. My own kind hates me...

another_trooper:

lol if I was surrounded by 10000 people like that I would run.

Yeah some does lack fashion sense but what is fashion sense? What can be considered fashion sense? Those clothes we see in magazines that heck are just ugly? Those clothes made by big designers that you don't know who the hell is mad enough to wear those?

Fashion sense is something hard to explain.

Unless their name is Clefo, because he knows everything...

On the flip side of "Conformity" is "Non-Conformity" which is like its own type of conformity. People who take their time to make sure they do NOT adapt to the norm or whatever's popular are just making their own flock of mindless sheep that need to be herded. Baaa baaaa.

So I say, think for yourself, don't start hating something cause its popular, BUT just because its popular doesn't mean its right. You can trust no one other than yourself.

I don't really have any good answers, but I think that the reason that everyone tries to fit in is because we don't have any quality role models. As a generation, we don't have anyone to look up to as an example. We glorify rappers who sing about killing rivals and dealing prostitutes, we seem to lose any sense of civility around Christmastime, and we lose control when some movie star walks by. It would be good for us to look to parents for guidance, but the reality is that there are millions of broken homes in the US. I don't know any statistics, but I think the numbers are about 47% of the families in America are single-parent families. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but there's a REASON why we're supposed to have a Mom and a Dad: they BOTH have a purpose, a roll to fill. Without that guidance and direction, we're left to find our own way. We turn to the people who seem to have it together (i.e. groups or cliques) in hopes that we'll finally get what they have. A capitalistic industry (which is not neccessarily bad) sees this as a way to target a certain market and increase profits, and encourages this by paying "role models" to drive their cars/wear their clothes/eat their food/use their services.

I don't really have any good answers, but I think that the reason that everyone tries to fit in is because we don't have any quality role models. As a generation, we don't have anyone to look up to as an example. We glorify rappers who sing about killing rivals and dealing prostitutes, we seem to lose any sense of civility around Christmastime, and we lose control when some movie star walks by. It would be good for us to look to parents for guidance, but the reality is that there are millions of broken homes in the US. I don't know any statistics, but I think the numbers are about 47% of the families in America are single-parent families. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but there's a REASON why we're supposed to have a Mom and a Dad: they BOTH have a purpose, a roll to fill. Without that guidance and direction, we're left to find our own way. We turn to the people who seem to have it together (i.e. groups or cliques) in hopes that we'll finally get what they have. A capitalistic industry (which is not neccessarily bad) sees this as a way to target a certain market and increase profits, and encourages this by paying "role models" to drive their cars/wear their clothes/eat their food/use their services.

Archived