|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

Anyways, I need your help! Yes YOURS! I'm trying to figure out what electric guiter I should get and I need some informed opinons and suggestions.

I'm a total complete mind blowing newbie to all this, ya see. I did get a few suggestions yesterday from the fine lads of echonet but I need more info.

Here's what I'm looking at currently,

platinum_assassin.jpg

It's a BC Rich Platinum Series Assassin. The one I'm looking at is priced at $280 bucks.

LINK TO BC RICH WEBSITE

It's Specs are as follows,

- Agathis Body

- Maple Bolt-on Neck

- Rosewood Fingerboard

- Adjustable Bridge

- Sealed BC Rich Tuners

- 25.5" Scale Length

- 24 Jumbo Frets

- Dot Inlays

- 2 BDSM Pickups

- Chrome Hardware

Now here are my questions.

1. The brand. I heard BC Rich was pretty good. Agree?

2. The Price. How is $280 for it sound?

3. The Assassin. Is it a decent guitar? I'm not going to one day wake up and realize I have a piece of crap, am I?

4. I was looking on ebay and I saw some other BC Rich guitars on there, for prices not much higher than the Assassin, including several builds of their Warlock guitars. Anyone know anything about those? Are they worth paying a little more?

If anyone could answer these questions or help me better understand what I'm doing I sure would be appreciative. Thanks! :rhett:

In a while I'll ask about Amps. :D

Here's a link to a Warlock on ebay that's priced at only five bucks higer than the Assassin. Clicky

Mmmkay. I'll tell you, the Warlock you posted looks alot cooler. But I'd say since you are a n00b to this, then I'd say, get the one you posted. Its REALLY worth it. If you got the Warlock, you'd look kinda Silly carrying such a guitar around, and ya know. So, get the one ya posted. :)

And, as for amps, get a peavy. I have one, and I am satisfied. :)

1. The brand. I heard BC Rich was pretty good. Agree? YES

2. The Price. How is $280 for it sound? It sounds like a good deal for a BC rich.

3. The Assassin. Is it a decent guitar? I'm not going to one day wake up and realize I have a piece of crap, am I?

I've never played it, but BC Rich does make a good guitar, so I'd take the chance. There's a rebate anyway, right?

4. I was looking on ebay and I saw some other BC Rich guitars on there, for prices not much higher than the Assassin, including several builds of their Warlock guitars. Anyone know anything about those? Are they worth paying a little more?

They are for a dark rock sound mostly. However, you can do that on any guitar. Besides, since it's Ebay, the price will more then likely go up anyway.

As for amps, Marshall amps own.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

That price is a BUY IT NOW price though! :eek:

As for the Marshall amps, I'm looking at these two,

Marshall Website

Marshall MG15CD $99.99

Marshall MG15CDR (Has Reverb) $129.99

MG15CDR Product Info

Reverb worth it or should I stick with the standard? Is there a better one to go with than this?

Reverb is totally worth it. I wish I woulda known that sooner before I bought an amp. Anyways, GET A PEAVEY!!!!!!! P-E-A-V-E-Y!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Changed Spelling!

B.C. Rich... I'm not a fan, but it seems like they make a decent axe. My guess is at that price point you'll be looking to upgrade pickups and perhaps even the hardware eventually though.

Amps: You can always get a reverb pedal/ rack unit,.. so don't let that be the determining factor in an amp decision. I'd rather get a better amp without reverb than a cheaper one with it. All other things being equal though, then get the one with the 'verb.

If your going for hard-rock/ metal then you can't go wrong with a Marshall. On the other hand,.. I did start out on a Peavey,.. like just about everyone else.

Marshall isn't known for it's "clean" sound,.. so if you think your gonna play a lot of country licks or jazz riffs you may not want to look in that direction.

If your going for a Rich though, I'm kinda guessing that's not really that big of a concern. :D

Well, the hardware on the NJ stuff looks a lot better, and I suspect they have higher quality pickups too.

For beginners who want a decent, general purpose starter electric I usually recommend a Standard Strat (not Squire!)http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0134600

or an Epiphone Gibson copy http://www.epiphone.com/

The first Rich you showed looks nice. The Warlock is a bit too odd shaped for a first electric for my tastes. I've noticed people who start on a guitar with an odd shape (Flying-Vs, Explorers...) sometimes develop bad habits and techniques since you can't really sit comfortably using it, and you always have to stand wearing it on a strap... and they often play with the strap WAYYY down too low, since it looks more "Rock-&-Roll."

Starting out with a first electric I would have to suggest something a bit more traditional, and a bit more general purpose. There's something about the Strat and the Les Paul/ SG designs that have stood the test of time.

If your a metal guy you should lean towards the Gibsons: Short scale length + heavy body woods + 2 humbuckers = heavy tone!

On the other hand you shouldn't spend too much out of the gate in case you don't stick with it,.. but you also don't want to get stuck with a guitar that plays like a dog that will hinder your progress or that sounds terrible that you'll be wanting to unload in a year as you build chops.

The best thing I can think of is to take someone you know who can already play pretty good to try a few of these things out for you at the local Guitar Center (or big local music store) through an amp like the one you're thinking of getting while you listen. They'll be able to tell you if it plays easy, or if it's a battle.

Either way, you'll want to get any sub-$600 guitar you get set-up by an experienced and reputable repairman as soon as you get it. This can make a HUGE difference on cheaper guitars (and many expensive ones as well!) that are often rushed off the line to keep the price down.

Of course, if you REALLY have your heart set on one particular guitar (I.E. The Warlock...), then ignore everything I've said and GET IT! You'll never, ever be really happy with anything else, and you'll end up hating me for sticking you with an uncool guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thank you very much for that. :D I definitely don't have my heart set on anything yet and I truthfully prefer the more traditional looks. I'll definitely look into the strats. Those things are quite sharp looking.

As for trying them out my local music store... I'm... somewhat limited because of my location, Sioux City, Iowa. We have all of one and even it's pretty small. :D I'll have to spelunk around for some shops next time I'm in Kansas City which should be soon.

Yeah,.. personally I think the stock, off-the-shelf Fenders are actually pretty good these days. I've played a few of them and I'm always surprised how well they play.

A Strat is a good first choice I think. You can play almost any style of modern music on it. The biggest downside for me is that the single-coil pickups can sound a bit thin. They do sell a "Fat-Strat" though, which has a humbucker in the bridge position which solves that problem.

Other brands I could recommend:

Ibanez: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/default.asp?s=e The GRX and S models

Paul Reed Smith: http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/sp_santse.htm Santana SE model (a little pricer, but I know a lot of pros who love this model)

Actually,.. I have a post about 3/4 of the way down in this thread that lists a lot of good guitar companies: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1221312#post1221312

Ok, I looked around and found that I can pick up these two for the following prices,

Fender Standard Stratocaster

Body: Poplar

Pickguard: 3-Ply White

Bridge: Vintage Style

Electronics

Pickups: 3 Standard Strats Single Coil (Ceramic Magnets)

Pickup Switching: Deluxe 5-Position Blade

Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Mid)

Miscellaneous

Strings: Fender Super Bullet 3250L’s (.009 to .042)

Neck

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood or Maple, 9.5" Radius/241 mm

Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style

Width @ Nut: 1.650" (42 mm)

Machine Heads: Fender Standard

For: $350

BC Rich Platinum Assassin

Body: Material Chesswood

Neck: Bolt-on with plate

Neck Material: Hard Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Fretwire: Jumbo

Fret Number: 24

Scale: 25.5"

Inlay: Dot

Headstock Style: Pointed

Hardware: Chrome

Tuners: Sealed Diecast BC Rich

Pickups: 2 BDSM Humbuckers

Bridge Type: Non-Locking Tremolo

For: $280

I also saw that I could get a grade B fat strat for a little under $300

Do these prices sound about right?

Should I pry my pocket a little further open and go for the Standard Strat?

Tough call... very tough.

Personally, I would shell out the extra and get the Standard (if it's good enough for Hendrix and SRV, it's good enough for you! ;) ) but it strictly becomes personal preference at this point. The "Fat Strat" might give you a few more options, but some folks LOVE that single-coil lead tone you can only get from a Standard.

The Rich does have a certain sexyness about it though...

I don't think a decision like this should (or even can) be made without holding and listening to the guitars in question. You might find you prefer the feel and weight of the Rich more once you have it in your hands... it's hard to say...

Unfortunately (for you anyways) I'm leaving to go to Fla. in a very short while, for over 2 weeks,.. and I doubt I'll be able to get on much (if at all) during that time to help out. Sorry. :(

However,.. I will be spending that time hanging out with my dad, who has been playing guitar professionally for over 60 years, and has a collection of sweet vintage axes! He kicks my ass playing wise, but I can learn so much from him it's not even funny.

I forsee much playing in the next couple of weeks! :D

If you can, find a dedicated electric guitar forum or message board and chat up a few folks about your choices before you make the leap.

Good luck Rhett! When all else fails, go with you gut instinct.

guitars are so last week.. banjos are where's its at now m'boy

look, even kermit is joining the lastest fad

banjo.gif

so god dang it, don't be square and get a banjo today!

:D

anyway, i'm a fender fan myself...

fender.jpg

grrrr baby! very grrrrr!

Ok, it looks like I'll be picking up a Mexican made Fender Standard Stratocaster with one of the American made cloth cases included for $350 bucks at my local place. It's wine colored with a maple neck. Real puuuurdey. This sound like an ok deal?

Check out this link:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/Standard-Stratocaster-01.html

Looks like it is pretty highly rated by other owners (8.8 on a scale from 1 to 10).

Ok, it looks like I'll be picking up a Mexican made Fender Standard Stratocaster with one of the American made cloth cases included for $350 bucks at my local place. It's wine colored with a maple neck. Real puuuurdey. This sound like an ok deal?

Yes! Cause Fender is best! So is stratocaster! But pic one in this color instead!(my guitar teacher has one, it's really cool!)

• 4 weeks later...

*pulls thread out of the depths of post hell*

Hello again everyone. :rhett: Just thought I'd update everyone. I got my guitar! A mim Fender Fat Strat. It looks exactly like the one shown below. I went ahead and got a right handed one. It seems to be working out fine for me. I'm glad I did it this way. I think I got a really good deal. $250 for the guitar.

I've been practicing for about an hour a day because that's pretty much all I can stand with my hand right for now. :D I suppose my fingers will callus up eventually.

I've been spelunking around olga.net a lot trying to find some neat things. Besides the basics, I'm working on Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison and Black Hole Sun by soundgarden. It's a great feeling when someone walks by and comments on something you're doing. "Hey, is that Pretty Woman?" In the future, when a stop sucking, I hope that happens more. :D

Thanks goes to everyone who gave me input!

A very special thanks goes out to Edlib for all of his amazing help. It really helped me when trying to figure out everything. You rock! ;)

StdFatStratFR.jpg

instElectric_GuitarsStandard_Fat_Strat.jpg

Archived