Home

Someone please convince me

blitz13

I now have had Star Wars Galaxies for about two weeks and strongly believe that I have just blown $55. Is there anyone out there who can convince me other wise?

Near as I can tell, Galaxies offers little to nothing that I find so attractive to Star Wars. Let me start off by complaining about the professions. The only two that look tempting are the Marksman and Brawler. The others just suck, Artisan, Medic, Entertainer. The so-so one is Scout. I'm sure that these professions are tempting to some, but overall when I think Star Wars the last thing that comes to mind is Artisan.

That was the first that I noticed. Trust if I could have returned the game I would have at that point. Another fact that I realized that I just hate is travel. Now maybe I haven't played long enough but so far, from what I have seen, is that you have travel everywhere on foot. Now that just sucks, not to mention a HUGE waste of time. C'mon there should be at least a speeder rental somewhere in the cities. It's not like Star Wars is set in times where such things are rare.

Does anyone actually own their own ship? I read the FAQ that it is possible for this, but I have yet to see any evidence.

My final aggreviation, well the final one I'll mention, is the whole Jedi thing. I HATE how the game makers did this. Now I understand that becoming a Jedi should be rare, but you know for $55 I don't want to have to play a game for a year before getting the chance to play something I really want to.

It seems to me that everything that I enjoy about Star Wars was not designed into this game at all. Is there any one out there who can convince me other wise? If there is something that I missed with this game SOMEONE please inform me, because as of right now I find MechWarrior 3 A LOT better game than Star Wars Galaxies.

Speeders/swoops are coming soon and starships will be the next expansion a few months down the road.

Patience, patience you must learn patience!

The game is only 2 months old, give it some time. If you feel its not what you want, quit and come back in a few months.

Well, the most important thing to notice is that this is a MMORPG. If you haven't played any before, you'll be surprised. Which is natural. These games doesn't play at all like any other games out there. Firstly, they are time sinks like you wouldn't believe. Secondly, they are as much about socializing as about 'having a cool profession'. And thirdly, they are not at all very enjoyable by every gamer. This is a very, very niche genre of gaming, really. It's nothing you can just pick up, install, and then enjoy fully, most people I know had a "WTF?!" reaction to MMORPGs back in the days, when they first tried them out. Give them time, and they'll grow onto you. Or chose not to, and find another genre.

So sadly, I can't say you are wrong. SWG is definately not the perfect gaming experience for everyone, perhaps it's not at all suited for you. If you want more star-warsy and more jedi, try KOTOR. It's great. If you want a faster RPG, there's several shelves full of RPGs. Get a PlayStation and rummage through its excellent backcatalogue of japanese action RPGs. Get a GCN and play Skies of Arcadia. And if you thought a slow RPG is a bad RPG, get an X-box and play Shenmue 2, and get obsessed with Kung Fu for the rest of your life. But if you pick up a MMORPG, you're on its turf; you play by the rules of the genre, like it or not. And MMORPGs just happens to play by very rough rules.

If you like it, it's great. If you don't, there's thousands of great games out there for you to find. Good luck!

I am a very avid RPGer, most specifically Star Wars RPG. Let me make a simple statement, if WOTC had come out with a the new star wars RPG with the same ground rules as Galaxies, WOTC would have fallen flat on their face. This game offers very little for the avid Star Wars RPGer fan. There are certain things that should have been obvious and done from the very start, one of those things should have been starships and vehicles. I mean when anyone invisions Star Wars, you can't help but think starships. Additionally I think the game designers are mad if they think that they should come out with an expansion pack that has the ability to fly starships several months AFTER the initial release and then expect people to pay and additonal 30-40 dollars for it. Then that is on top of the $16 they charge per month to play it. I'm sorry to rant and rave about this, but it just seems ridiculous.

As to playing by thier rules, I agree to certain extent. As a consumer I do have certain expectations for the merchandize I buy. So far this game is pathetically below these standards.

As much as I would just like to abandon this game, I will can not look the other direction when there is $55 involved. I just don't like throwing money down the drain, and its not like there was a demo of this game to try out.

Yes I am bitter, in fact I have never been this bitter over a game before in my life. This game never should have had Star Wars put in front of Galaxies.

Thank you for reading and any of your responses. It is all appreciated.

Point 1: Like Set said, this is a MMORPG. It's purpose is to live in the universe you are playing in, in this case: Star Wars.

That means you need weaponsmiths to make the weapons, armorsmith to make the armor, architects to design your home, plumbers to fix your toilet ... errr, I think I went alittle overboard there :D .... anyways, even maybe hire a selfproclaimed interior decorator if you wish someone else to set up your homes interior for you, miners to mine the resources to make all this, etc.....

While Star Wars movies are great and all, none of the weapons and equipments and so forth made themselfs, even in Star Wars. Someone made them. Star Wars Galaxies gives you an insight about everything "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Point 2: While the lack of speeders and mounts at release were disappointing (and is starting to get alittle annoying aswell, after trekking over kilometers and kilometers of land and water now for the past month or so), the spaceships and space flights was something everyone was expecting NOT to make it into the initial release as that has been announced for as long as I can remember following this game some 2-3 years now.

It has always been planned to be released 6 - 12 months after the release (originally it was 12 months after, but I heard that it might come out sooner than expected :) ).

Granted, it's a really large part of that Star Wars feel, swishing thru space, battling it out with the rebels or Imperials, or just plain dodging pirats who try to seize your ship and/or cargo.

But think about the size of this game already.

Let me give you some numbers of what they have created in real life terms:

1 planet: 16X16 kilometers = 256 Sq.Km, which 225 Sq.Km of that is free playing area. That's an area almost 3 times greater than Manhatten Island.

There are 10 planets currently.

There are numerous standard weapons, ranging from hand held melee combat types (knifes, vibro axes, etc...) to really heavy weapons (can't think of any right now).

There are thousands of NPC's roaming about that need AI script to function. Then there is an even greater number of creatures that need it to.

You have thousands of functions that need to work with another function, or maybe all of them.

Etc, etc, etc, etc....

This all takes alot of time of accomplishing.

The Space Expansion will have less than that in it, but still it requires alot of work to function well.

Spaceships needs to be drawn, scripted, functions need to be made for them, interaction with the people has to work (otherwise you won't be able to fly them :p ), space needs to be created, and I dobt it will be much less total space area than there is landarea (maybe, don't really know, but that's what I believe), a couple of more planets, 1 or 2 more player species, aswell as maybe even a few new non player species, etc.....

Not to mention it has to work properly with the game already released.

Of course we are going to have to pay for this. :)

Point 3:

Jedi.

I only have one thing to say: Wrong time period. :)

This is the Galactic Civil War not the Sith War, or the war against the New Order of Sith, or even the Clone Wars.

There are no Jedi left (very few anyways) in this time period. This is a battle we will have to win mostly on our own, with just very, very, very few Jedi to help (Obi-Wan, Yoda, and eventually Luke).

Overall gameplay, it still needs some tweaking, and some fixing of things to do, but what MMORPG has never needed that, even years and years after it got released?

From what I can tell from people who have played most or all MMORPG to date, this has been the smothest release ever with such a game like this. :)

We should be happy we even are able to play it as much as we do apperantly. :D

The game will get better and better.

Some things in the game that worked before, can not work so well after a patch, yes. I really don't like that they changed the grafics for the inventory for marking what you have equiped, or even marking words (it's hard as hell to read what is being marked :D ). And it seems for some people, including me, when I go to the roof of a PA Hall, people who join me seem to be transported down in the basement of it the minute they place their foot on the roof, although to themselfs they are still on the roof, and are able to see me. Weird.

Overall I have no big beef with the game. Walking is starting to get annoying, but atleast they don't have the insurance on yet, so I just get myself killed to get to Theed. :p

It's faster, and costs alot less.

Near as I can tell, Galaxies offers little to nothing that I find so attractive to Star Wars. Let me start off by complaining about the professions. The only two that look tempting are the Marksman and Brawler. The others just suck, Artisan, Medic, Entertainer. The so-so one is Scout. I'm sure that these professions are tempting to some, but overall when I think Star Wars the last thing that comes to mind is Artisan.

Well, if the only two proffesions, Brawler and Marksman, people would have hated SWG for having only two proffesions.

What about people who want to be Artisans? Just because a game has a proffesion you don't need doesn't have to mean that you should hate the game..

Another fact that I realized that I just hate is travel.

Might just be me, but I seem to remember there was travel in SW too...:confused:.

Now maybe I haven't played long enough but so far,

from what I have seen, is that you have travel everywhere on foot. Now that just sucks, not to mention a HUGE waste of time. C'mon there should be at least a speeder rental somewhere in the cities. It's not like Star Wars is set in times where such things are rare.

One word: Patches.

There will be speeders.

Does anyone actually own their own ship? I read the FAQ that it is possible for this, but I have yet to see any evidence.

Two words: Space Expansion.

It seems to me that everything that I enjoy about Star Wars was not designed into this game at all. Is there any one out there who can convince me other wise? If there is something that I missed with this game SOMEONE please inform me, because as of right now I find MechWarrior 3 A LOT better game than Star Wars Galaxies.

A game where you only went around with a lightsaber or a blaster and blasted stormies wouldn't be worth 55 bucks, would it?.

Yea man, Jan your right! The dark forces series...like the don of star wars games...i tihnk there isnt a star wars game i havent got...my first was "x-wing" hahah...amazing...

But hey, bout the game. Despite waht critics say, these MMORPGs are never for the casual gamer. I was lucky becasue i had two weeks holiday so i played about...20 hours a day...hehe getting my char all good. So, if you have a day off, hit the sign in button, and dont leave. If marksman and brawler is all that appeals to you, then play a marksman/brawler. Travel, well, use shuttles, but sometimes it can be fun running, as you run into a variety of hot-spots and creatues to interact with.

Like people have said, it grows on you. i sit in maths at school and think of what im gonna do when i log on that evening...

Ewoks Own.

No offense, you should have been like me. I haven't bought the game yet. I read the ENTIRE FAQ and I read a couple pages on these forums along with the official forums. Hearing many complaints and the massive drop in players, I decided that now wasn't a good time to join on in. With the big patch and all, it makes it seem hard for a newbie to start who's never played the game before. Many of the classes appeal to me but with the ever changing and nerfing of classes, I don't want to get screwed over when the next patch comes out. So, at the moment, I plan on waiting until the space expansion comes out to get the game. Now don't think I don't like the game. The game is so awesome it's not even funny but it's almost as if you're playing a beta version of the game. To me, it seems like when they get the space expansion out in "2004", the game will become balanced and the feuds will be solved. Until then, I'll just be on the forums, reading not posting. This is my first post because It's the first post that really made sense for me to get my point out...

-Hallaquelle

*edit* Oh yeah, Jedi Academy (Jedi Knight 3 in a sense) Beta is fuggin awesome!!!

if you want to play through the movies and relive that excitement, go buy rebel squadron 3, because galaxies isnt for you. galaxies lets you make your own story, not replay the one already made. and by the way, there are about as many artisans as there are marksmen, so just because one profession doesnt appeal to you, doesnt mean no one else can enjoy it.

I can sympathize with you Hallequele. I read all the bad posts and grimaced at the thought that SWG was what I asked for my birthday. I was fully expecting trash, but was pleasantly surprised. In a week of steady play I have only experienced 2 minor bugs. Both of which were easily corrected.

The myriad of professions is great: I started out with marksman/Brawler, but as of late have spent my time surveying / harvesting resources and crafting items then selling them via the bazaar. Adventuring has taken a backseat in leu of my trade skills. Although I may never be a lethal bounty hunter I aspire to be a savvy business man. Milking the Galaxy for every credit I can. Empire? Rebellion? Their credits all spend the same.

At first the interface was pretty overwhelming but I quickly learned my way around it.

The only downside I have encountered so far has been the small amount of the l33t d3wds in the game. I like RP so the do kind of take away from that experience, but since I spent very little of my time in town I dont notice them much.

I would suggest if you plan to purchase SWG do so now. So that by the time the space expansion comes out you will have the funds to purchase an X Wing. I have not heard yet but assume they will be very expensive.

Thanks for trying to convince me but I am still not going to buy it. Well, that's mainly because I decided to take a break from gaming for a while. I'm having my cable disconnected for a couple of months because my mom (parents are divorced, I live with my mom) could use the money. Also, if optimum online keeps the same discount until then, when I get HL2 and hopefully SWG+TSE if The Space Expansion is out by then, cable will only be $20 for six months!

Till then, I'll just read up on stuff, hang around these forums... I'm actually making my own sprite comics, I started yesterday.

http://nothing.says.it

Check it out and get me some hits ;)

-Hallaquelle

*EDIT* Please don't consider this advertising... If you do, tell me and I'll remove that part...

Archived