Home

Microsoft Word leak

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, any body that doesn't want to be vulnerable to any of the 21 unpatched security holes in Internet Explorer should switch to Mozilla Firebird. In addition to being all that IE can be, it's standards compliant, much cooler to javascript, and contains all sorts of goodies, such as pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. OK, I'm done with my proselytizing. (No, I'm not. ;))

Firebird's supposed to be a standalone browser, as opposed to an entire suite plus the kitchen sink as Mozilla is. The idea is to address the one major problem with Mozilla, the fact that it's huge and bloated and full of stuff that nobody needs. Its companion "Thunderbird" provides a standalone email client.

From what I've seen, it does look quite clever, and it's certainly faster to load than the Mozilla browser. One clever feature is that instead of hiding obscure functionality within the browser, it's now split off into "Extensions". If you need an extra feature, you can probably find an Extension and install it.

I need to try Firebird again, actually - I went back to Internet Exploder because I found Mozilla too slow and Firebird too basic. I think it's come on a lot since I tried it though. :)

Also, damn it ragou. :)

What Huz said. Firebird .6 (I still haven't bothered to install .6.1 yet) is perfect for me (with the exception of a MIME type manager, which is in the daily builds), and I've already souped it up with a whole bunch of extensions.

Thunderbird .1 is good, though missing a few power-user features. Definitely drives more like a 1. than a .1.

If you have no problems with Mozilla, I wouldn't really bother moving.. Though future versions of Mozilla (starting 1.6?) are going to be bundled versions of Firebird and Thunderbird.

The only slow part I've had with Mozilla is the initial loading, after that it's fine. And that has gotten better with recent releases imo. I've almost never had to use IE and would remove it if I could. And I'd miss all the extra features like tabbed browsing and pop up blocking.

Seriously, anyone using IE should seriously think about switching to Mozilla.

Btw, I hope that when the Mozilla suite moves to using Firebird and Thunderbird that Mozilla will only change behind the scenes. I've tried Mozilla Firebird and it's very nice but I prefer Mozilla 1.4.

Originally posted by DomStLeger

Seriously, anyone using IE should seriously think about switching to Mozilla.

Why bother... it works... :p

I once switched from Netscape 3 to IE5 and been on IE ever since... I don't have any complaints about it, so why install an other browser... :confused: Not only for the pop-up blocker...

Archived