Home

Microsoft Word leak

Originally posted by Firefoot

Why bother... it works... :p

I once switched from Netscape 3 to IE5 and been on IE ever since... I don't have any complaints about it, so why install an other browser... :confused: Not only for the pop-up blocker...

Because IE doesn't follow (correctly) given standards. It doesn't handle png:s with alpha channels. It doesn't have tabbed browsing. It gives you virus's and other evil things easily if you happen to go to the wrong place. Do you want more arguments?

Originally posted by Mattsius

I agree with Firebird. Why bother.

Hehe, confused by browser names and people? ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mattsius

I agree with Firebird. Why bother.

OK. IE bugs the heck out of me, what with pop-ups, clearing forms when I hit Esc (to stop a page from loading -- for example when I accidentally hit enter to post), clearing forms when I hit the back button (for example, when it says "You've posted less than 30 seconds ago" and I hit back to repost later), and slowing to a crawl with any nontrivial amount of javascript, not to mention that windows steal focus about 50 times during the course of loading, so it's impossible to multitask, that keyboards need not apply, and that bugs, security holes, and being tied into critical Windows segments scares the heck out of me, but I guess it's just a personal thing.

Originally posted by ragou

Because IE doesn't follow (correctly) given standards.

Doesn't botter me... :)

It doesn't handle png:s with alpha channels.

Never encountered them...

It doesn't have tabbed browsing.

For what? I uses my scroll wheeled track ball and the mouse button... :rolleyes:

It gives you virus's and other evil things easily if you happen to go to the wrong place.

Don't go to the wrong places... :p

Do you want more arguments?

I'm not convinced, but I'm not supposted to, am I?

But if I ever get tired about IE I'll know where to look... ;)

Firebird... uh... foot! :cool:

Originally posted by twifkak

OK. IE bugs the heck out of me, what with pop-ups, clearing forms when I hit Esc (to stop a page from loading -- for example when I accidentally hit enter to post), clearing forms when I hit the back button (for example, when it says "You've posted less than 30 seconds ago" and I hit back to repost later), and slowing to a crawl with any nontrivial amount of javascript, not to mention that windows steal focus about 50 times during the course of loading, so it's impossible to multitask, that keyboards need not apply, and that bugs, security holes, and being tied into critical Windows segments scares the heck out of me, but I guess it's just a personal thing.

Ok, pop-ups can be annoying... As for the other things... not encountered or bothered... :)

Originally posted by Firefoot

For what? I uses my scroll wheeled track ball and the mouse button... :rolleyes:

I don't think you know what he means by tabbed browsing. Here

Extremely useful for a place like this, where I often want to open on 10+ separate threads, but are slowed down by the fact that LucasForums is sllloooow. Loading with this is done in the background.

Again, whatever. I'd recommend it. Another reason I run it is because I don't like to worry about whether or not a virus is on my computer, and what it has infected. I'm not running a virus scanner, because I know what I download, I use a decent web browser, and I'm behind a firewall (D-Link router). Then again, that's not a good strategy for non-computer-nerds, so keep a virus scanner running, boys and girls. :) I really should, too -- who knows, the next Blaster may be firewall-proof.

I'm a computer-nerd (sort of), but I'm wise to keep a virus scanner because not all my relatives are wise enough to keep their PC's virus free so I sometimes receive mail with virusses of those ppl...

But tabbed browsing was not what I expected indeed... and I wonder where they got their buttons from... :rolleyes:

Well... I use different windows for that... just by SHIFT-clicking links so they can load in different windows until I'm ready to read... Ok, not quite the same, but untill now well enough for me! :)

[edit] Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-Mikkisoft (I run Linux too for a server), but IE works well enough for me... ;)

Ah well using control+click on links opens a new tab in Mozilla. Such a simple idea but so very effective. And you can still open things in a new window with shift+click (and it's just as fast; the slowness mentioned before is just a few seconds wait while the whole program loads initially after that it's faster than IE imo)

And pop up blocking is a god send, you can't appreciate how useful it is until you've tried it. But thats not the only control you're given; you can stop websites from rising windows to the front, maximising them, removing tool bars and lots of other things.

Also webpages do load up faster with the gecko engine used in Mozilla than the microsoft one.

And something worth bearing in mind with the email & newsgroups client in Mozilla; most email viruses are currently aimed at loopholes in Microsoft products. This makes Mozilla more secure, even if it is merely because it's not being targeted at the moment.

And if you use multiple OS you can use Mozilla in all of them, meaning you don't have to learn different interfaces all the time.

Another thing, mozilla has a very useful download manager built in which is useful for keeping track of downloads without a miriad of little boxes (though you can have the boxes if you like) plus the manager helps you keep track of older downloads too so you know where you left them.

Finally, there is a nifty theme manager. Lets you choose a look you find comfortable whether it be Huge icons or tiny bits of text.

So there. :D Why have brass when you can have gold for free?

(and we'll keep on going until we convince you to download it... nah just kidding)

Originally posted by DomStLeger

Ah well using control+click on links opens a new tab in Mozilla. Such a simple idea but so very effective. And you can still open things in a new window with shift+click (and it's just as fast; the slowness mentioned before is just a few seconds wait while the whole program loads initially after that it's faster than IE imo)

Now, I use the middle mouse button for that. It's much faster than ctrl-clicking. :)

Try it!

*sigh* Fine. Just like you have several browser windows open in IE, you can do the same in Moz. Moz goes a step further, in that each window can have several tabs open, each with their own webpage, history, etc. You have a little bar right below the URL bar with a bunch of tabs -- click on one to go to that tab. The good thing about this is that Moz has control over the tabs, not windows, so when you middle-click (or ctrl+click), it opens the web page in a new tab, but it stays in the background.

As a result, what I'll do is open the forum index, and just middle click on 5 or more topics, and then look at each of those tabs in order. (Ctrl-Tab also switches tabs.) Loading time goes to zero, because it's all happening in the background.

Originally posted by DomStLeger

And pop up blocking is a god send, you can't appreciate how useful it is until you've tried it. But thats not the only control you're given; you can stop websites from rising windows to the front, maximising them, removing tool bars and lots of other things.

Hmm...

And something worth bearing in mind with the email & newsgroups client in Mozilla; most email viruses are currently aimed at loopholes in Microsoft products. This makes Mozilla more secure, even if it is merely because it's not being targeted at the moment.

I use Eudora and currently don't even have a newsgroup prog installed, but on my old computer it sure wasn't one of Microsoft! :)

(and we'll keep on going until we convince you to download it... nah just kidding)

LOL

It almost looks like a commercial from you guys! :) Aren't you afraid that if these browser(s) gain popularity that they too become a point of attack... :confused:

Maybe... maybe I'll download it and try it out (some day)... :p

Well, I'm running it at work at considerably less than 1024 (taskbar is on the side, and browser's not maximized), and while I see the scrollbar, it's only about 3% off the screen, and that's all whitespace.

In any case, yes, IE has lots of trouble rendering tables, or their HTML 4.0 equivalent.

edit: Yes, it's definitely an IE problem. Read the code. Percentages are mentioned, not fixed widths, and none of the images are unwieldly enough to cause layout problems. This means it's up to the *browser* to fix the web page within a certain width. I notice that when I resize my window wider, I see IE, in real-time, continually space the text out more and more just to make sure that there's always that scrollbar at the bottom. That's called stupid.

Originally posted by twifkak

edit: Yes, it's definitely an IE problem. Read the code. Percentages are mentioned, not fixed widths, and none of the images are unwieldly enough to cause layout problems. This means it's up to the *browser* to fix the web page within a certain width. I notice that when I resize my window wider, I see IE, in real-time, continually space the text out more and more just to make sure that there's always that scrollbar at the bottom. That's called stupid.

LOL... yep, even at 1280x1024... :D

Archived