Home

Is there a point to using a SINGLE saber in JKA?

EnchainedBlade

Will there be a point to using a single saber in Jedi Knight Academy? In KOTOR, there are benefits to using one light sabre as adversed to two. I hope Jedi Knight Academy is similar in this regard, because I KNOW that almost everyone and their mother will want either dual sabers or double bladed ones..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by FK | unnamed

in level 1 of the SP game you have to face the "star wars kid" as the level head boss and the single saber is the only one that can kill him.

Yeah, but after that, whats the point of remaining with single saber? Thats what I'm getting at. Is there ANY disadvantage/advantage of single saber over dual saber or double saber?

LOL @ unnamed...

On a more serious note, of course each lightsaber selection will have it's inherent advantages and disadvantages.

WARNING: some minor spoilers ahead.

Single Saber - 3 stances (light, medium, heavy) with ability to throw.

Dual Sabers - 1 stance, with a range of faster and spinning attacks, with the ability to throw one saber while holding onto the second to slice-and-dice or deflect incoming fire.

Saberstaff - 1 stance, with the ability to kick in any direction and pull off acrobatic flips and spins (sounds a bit like Maul to me), and you can switch off one blade so that you can throw it with one blade lit.

So as you can see...the single saber will still have a choice of 3 stances, and we know the combat moves have also been tweaked. ;)

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

in level 1 of the SP game you have to face the "star wars kid" as the level head boss and the single saber is the only one that can kill him.

Tru. 100% legit info. I was going to use the saber staff and my darth maul skin to beat him but I guess that doesn't work :(

but really, no one knows if the single saber will be any good 'till it's released.

Originally posted by StormHammer

LOL @ unnamed...

On a more serious note, of course each lightsaber selection will have it's inherent advantages and disadvantages.

WARNING: some minor spoilers ahead.

Single Saber - 3 stances (light, medium, heavy) with ability to throw.

Dual Sabers - 1 stance, with a range of faster and spinning attacks, with the ability to throw one saber while holding onto the second to slice-and-dice or deflect incoming fire.

Saberstaff - 1 stance, with the ability to kick in any direction and pull off acrobatic flips and spins (sounds a bit like Maul to me), and you can switch off one blade so that you can throw it with one blade lit.

So as you can see...the single saber will still have a choice of 3 stances, and we know the combat moves have also been tweaked. ;)

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info :) Aslong as Raven balanced the different styles, then I feel much better about it :cool:

there is rumour (possibly from someone who used beta, i don't know) that the lightstaff is by far the best (not to my liking) and hopefully wont be in the final release

i've said it before. 2 things determine why a player chooses certain things. efficiency and appeal. the 2 new stances are definately going to appeal, to such a high degree that they will be used no matter if they suck or not.

so i think just for the hell of it if they can't balance all saber styles than make the single blade the best. since the other stances are going to probably get more attention and less people will use the single blade anyway.... what im saying is: people will use doulble and staff even if they suck as they are original and appealing, and making the single saber slightly better might mean we see an equal number of people using each rather than: 40% duel, 40% staff and 20% or less on single

i personally don't think it was quite the best idea to give each of the new stances a single blade stance... the only way i see this being balanced is by having the red stance as the best single blade stance, otherwise raven have probably screwed up another balancing system.....

I don't know really, it just depends on when I play it I guess.

Though i'll admit im rubbing my hands together in anticipation for dual sabers and lightstaff :>.

But really, it depends at what im good at to determine what I use. If im no good with dual sabers or lightstaff then I will stick to what im good at.

This goes triple for multiplayer, I go in that zone to win. I won't try to look cool wielding any certain type of weaponry, i'll wield whatever weapon will knock up the most kills.

I remember in early reviews they said the lightstaff would "limit force" and block behind your back as well as in front.

From this I theorized the following:

The Lightstaff would make a person almost invulnerable to blasters, yet they would lack Pull and Push (and saber throw, replaced by kick) so it would be for close quarters combat and vulnerable to explosives (after all, you couldn't Push missiles away or pull away somebody's repeater).

Does this mean they cannot "block" push/pull? Can they still use Absorb? Who knows...

What I wonder about are the differences between the Dual and Single lightsabers.

There are a lot of ways these could be balanced in MP, but so far all we really know is that the dual lightsabers have only one stance, whereas the single has three (fast, medium, strong... as they were in JK2, with maybe a couple of new moves or animations).

Originally posted by Rockstar

i personally don't think it was quite the best idea to give each of the new stances a single blade stance... the only way i see this being balanced is by having the red stance as the best single blade stance, otherwise raven have probably screwed up another balancing system.....

Well, the single blade will have THREE stances, and the rest will have only ONE stance, so that doesn't sound unbalanced to me.

I just hope Raven tweaked the original three stances from JKII because they weren't exactly efficient.

If they did tweak the saber styles, then single saber may possibly end up being the best and most well rounded form..

My first interest is in mastering the single blade, but I am also interested in the dual saber. I never played the lightstaff mods or cheats in JKII, and don't have much interest ... but I might play with it in a later run-through ... maybe when I go dark path ...

Mike

Both the lightstaff and Dual Sabers have the ability to shut down one saber. The lightstaff, when on 1 saber, turns into a yellow-stanced single saber, without the ability to do a Yellow DFA. The Dual Sabers, when on 1 saber, turns into a blue-stanced single saber, although you can do the blue lunge with this.

Originally posted by [TMBJ]Stormcrow

Both the lightstaff and Dual Sabers have the ability to shut down one saber. The lightstaff, when on 1 saber, turns into a yellow-stanced single saber, without the ability to do a Yellow DFA. The Dual Sabers, when on 1 saber, turns into a blue-stanced single saber, although you can do the blue lunge with this.

Can you tell us how you know this? Is there a preview that mentioned it - I missed it if there was?

Mike

Originally posted by [TMBJ]Stormcrow

yeah, a PC Mag i get had a preview. Don't think its on the net though.

Cool. I know we are seeing new info in the PC Zone UK 'review', so I'm assuming new mags coming for Sept versions will have their own new info. Do you know which mag? I thought I heard PC Gamer had some info in it ... but I don't know what ... ?

Mike

Dual lightsabers are yellow stance by default and can be turned into blue stance(as someone said already)

The same goes for the lightstaff(blue and when you shut one off its yellow)

And you can use all force powers at all times. The thing about not being able to use push or pull isn't true. Whatever you choose you can use all force powers.

I updated the FAQ with this information, taken from the official site...

New moves have been implemented for the whole range of saber combat, and the recent update to the official site confirms the stances for each blade type...

Single Saber

Fast

Stab Back

Lunge Attack

Force Pull Impale

Attack Kata

Attack Enemy on Ground

Cartwheel

Stab Forward

Medium

Slash Back

Flip Attack

Force Pull Slash

Attack Kata

Attack Enemy on Ground

Cartwheel

Stab Forward

Strong

Slash Back

Jump Attack - DFA

Force Pull Slash

Attack Kata

Attack Enemy on Ground

Cartwheel

Stab Forward

You will be able to use saber throw as usual.

Dual Sabers

This stance will incorporate faster and coordinated types of attacks as follows...

Slash Back

Flip Forward Attack

Twirl

Saber Barrier

Stab Front And Back

Stab Left And Right

Attack Enemy On Ground

Cartwheel

Stab Forward

You will be able to saber throw one blade, while retaining the other for defence or attack.

Saber Staff

This stance will incorporate acrobatic flips and kicks in any direction, including...

Slash Back

Backflip Attack

Butterfly Attack

Twirl

Kick

Jump Kick

Split Kick

Spin Kick

Flip Kick

Spinning Kata

Attack Enemy on Ground

Stab Forward

While the two blades are lit, you will not be able to use saber throw - but you will be able to extinguish one blade in order to use saber throw.

--------

As you can see, there are common 'names' of moves across all the stances, but the actual animations for moves with the same name are actually different. Each of the Single saber stances seems to offer 3 special moves each, and 4 moves common to them all (but each with it's own variation). In those terms, Single saber has more variety of moves available, and Dual Sabers actually has the least number of moves available (a bit disappointing from my perspective, as I really want to use Dual sabers). Of course the fewer the moves...the quicker it will be to 'master' a particular style - but how these can be utilised to counter the range of other moves in the other styles is still to be determined. ;)

The 'attack enemy on ground' move made me weep ;)

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping would be there as a special ... and when I saw it in the trailer with the lightstaff, I thought I might have to go lightstaff to get that move. Since I can get there with the single saber, I'm all the more happy.

Mike

Archived