Home

A question that popped up...

See question in Bold below:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. See question in Bold below:

• Yes
    • No

Hello everyone,

This would normally belong in the fabled 'Underground' section, but since there is no such place at the moment, I thought I'd just pose it right here (that way all the underground ignorers might see it too) :D

Anyway, I and a couple of friends have begun working on a game and a question came up as to the locale. Two of us wanted to make it happen in sort of pre-Industrial Revolution Arabia. When we opened it up for discussion, our other member said that, given the current worldly situation, a game set in Arabia, with an Arabian hero and characters, would compromise its ability to do any good. I dubbed that thought as ridiculous owing to the open-minded nature of many of you Adventure Gamers. But it has worried me...just slightly. Also given that it probably won't be coming out till Mid-2004, this might just be a moot point.

Either way, I thought I'd ask you guys: Disregarding all aesthetic and quality related issues would you play a game set in Arabia regardless? Or would you not just because it was set there and has characters of that locale? Oh, and the final product will be free.

Vote "yes" if you would play and "no" if you wouldn't.

If you want to keep your opinion secret, then, by all means, please just vote, but please don't vote "No" just to be mean. Please be honest.

Thank You

krkode

Hmmm. I don't think it would be an issue. I wouldn't give it a second thought - particularly in a historical setting.

Interesting point though - is there any evidence that films/books/etc set in the region are being deliberately avoided? I wouldn't have thought so, but then I don't watch Fox News[1]...

[1] For anything other than entertainment ;)

It would be very very sad and a bit ignorant if you wouldn't make this game because of recent actions in the middle east. The middle east excisted before the usa started to mess around there. It has a rich culture and a very long history. So please do make this game in that setting, and anyone who starts to comment/whine cause it is situated in the middle east should shut up and go hide in his little protected nuclear fallout bunker...

(Am I being too harsh on the average not-liking-the-setting person?)

Originally posted by ysbreker

It would be very very sad and a bit ignorant if you wouldn't make this game because of recent actions in the middle east. The middle east excisted before the usa started to mess around there. It has a rich culture and a very long history. So please do make this game in that setting, and anyone who starts to comment/whine cause it is situated in the middle east should shut up and go hide in his little protected nuclear fallout bunker...

(Am I being too harsh on the average not-liking-the-setting person?)

Your sentiments are perfectly understandable. I felt the same when the matter was first introduced to me. If someone is ignorant enough to not play a game just because it's set like that, then maybe I don't want him to play it afterall.

About your first comment, though, don't worry about me not working on it just because of the current state of actions. I have been convinced :)

Thank you for all those who replied/voted so far. Keep them coming, if you have an opinion to share. :)

Ooops, I voted no but that's because I'm in a rebel-kinda mood.

Seriously though, it could be a very interesting and original game.

But one thing you have to keep in mind: People often need (perhaps subconsciously) to relate to the protagonist. This could turn out to be a bit tricky because the Middle East is a very different culture with different norms and values. So you probably need to work a bit harder.

Try imagining yourselves as an Arab. What job would you have, what would be your daily routine? How's life in these parts?

Very interesting, I'd love to hear more about this project! Good luck.

--Erwin

Try imagining yourselves as an Arab. What job would you have, what would be your daily routine? How's life in these parts?

Take "Road to India" and make a "Road to Arabia"

:D

--------------------------------------------

Has anyone plaied Atlantis 3 where there is a whole part of the story in Arabia (1000 and one nights) with an arab thief that tries to steal a black rose for his love? :)

and also,think of the games based on Aladdin of Disney ;)

What am i trying to say? There have been games placed in arabia....So? why not a new, when most gamers plaied AND play those.....

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

and also,think of the games based on Aladdin of Disney ;)

Don't know about Atlantis 3, but I would hazard a guess that Aladdin doesn't touch on much of the Middle Eastern culture. :) It all seems pretty American to me, outside of the floofy pants. Stop -- Hammer time.

I voted yes, obviously.

One of the oldest civilizations in the world began to spread from that part of the world, which means that they have an extremely old and rich history which can be used to the games advantage (I'm a history geek ;) ).

We people living in the west aren't very familiar with the Arabic culture, which is a very sad thing. A fact is that you shouldn't criticize something that you don't know anything about and therefore people who don't play the game just because it's set in the Arabic is just being ridiculous.

Anyway, the game could be a step in the right direction when it comes to learning people from western countries about the Arabic culture and such.

Hope I didn't scare you with my international culture mumbojumbo. Almost went a bit of topic there.

Anyways, Good luck with the game and keep us updated. :)

Originally posted by deadworm222

People are people everywhere, I think.

Well yeah, but that's too easy to say.

People are people, but that doesn't mean you can always relate or understand.

Example: I can't imagine why women don't get to choose their own husband in some cultures. I mean, there are even cultures in which women can only marry a man from within the same family (often a cousin) which their dads select.

Hehe, imagine playing a game in which you're a dad who's got to find a suitable man to marry his daughter?

Hey, I totally respect other cultures, but that doesn't necessarily mean I understand their way of life.

--Erwin

Heh, I just realised the question was very simple:

would you play a game set in Arabia regardless? Or would you not just because it was set there and has characters of that locale?

Of course I would play it. The location doesn't matter and the characters don't matter either. There are more important things that do matter, but that's out of the question's scope really :)

--Erwin

Originally posted by DomStLeger

I voted no.

(but only because it's a daft question :))

Well, you deliberately violated one of the rules set forth in answering the question :rolleyes: - "Though shalt not be mean" :D

For that matter, I've seen many daft places, met many daft people and heard of many daft opinions. Hence the daft question :D

Erwin_Br: Try imagining yourselves as an Arab. What job would you have, what would be your daily routine? How's life in these parts?

Very interesting, I'd love to hear more about this project! Good luck.

Thank you, and I'll definitely consider your advice. I agree that relating is one of the most important factors in getting a player to want to play.

And to Mattsius: No harm done, mate :) Researching will be one of our primary concerns as we try to make it as realistic and representative as possible.

And to all of you that replied, once again, thank you very much! I feel very well reassured.

Archived