Home

Siege Mode unveiled! *WARNING: spoilers*

StormHammer

Originally posted by JDKnite188

WTF was up with the claim by someone that AT-STs couldn't be used in MP. It seems by the screenshots that the claim is false.

I think it was a comment in the PC Zone UK article, but it didn't specify SP or MP. Obviously you can drive it in MP, as evidenced in the screenies.

I've never before had any excitement over a MP game ... until now. I may actually play a bit of Siege prior to completing my first SP run ...

Mike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by txa1265

. . . I've never before had any excitement over a MP game ... until now. I may actually play a bit of Siege prior to completing my first SP run ...

Mike

Yeah, I was actually disappointed that I played SP first, finished the game, and then started MP. I am going to play each a little bit from the start.

I think one of the Raven devs said either on these forums or in an interview that classes are externalized, and can be changed on a per-map basis. If so, that would give modders great versatility. You could make your own special classes for your maps, instead of using the same ones over and over. I think that's one of the stong points of the system.

Originally posted by Emon

I think one of the Raven devs said either on these forums or in an interview that classes are externalized, and can be changed on a per-map basis. If so, that would give modders great versatility. You could make your own special classes for your maps, instead of using the same ones over and over. I think that's one of the stong points of the system.

If you're right about that, then it could very well open up some great opportunities for mod crews - and we could see greater diversity in the style of gameplay. I can just imagine a couple of other scenarios now...

An Assassin class - and you're given the objective to assassinate either a top Imperial or member of the New Republic within a certain time limit, aided and abetted by your team-mates, who have to secure your escape route.

A Bounty Hunter class - where your objective is to capture your 'bounty' and deliver it to a predetermined point (perhaps just getting them back to your ship).

You know, when you think about it, you could just totally take Siege in completely new directions if you could implement a range of classes to suit particular scenarios. Prison breaks...bank raids...destroying bridges... Hell, if someone could get X-Wings to work, you could re-enact the trench run...carry out pirate raiding parties on disabled cruisers... Just imagine recreating the opening sequence of Star Wars...boarding the Tantive IV to hunt for Leia...

*brain goes into overdrive and starts to overheat*

The question i have about this mode is how many players can you have simulataneously playing and how good will the fps be? Although it looks totally awesome and it might even make me start playing MP. Also, let's say you are playing siege by yourself. WIll the AI be any good at completing objectives and such?

*hands Stormie a glass of cold Blue Bantha milk*

Siege sounds great. Finally, Jedi combat with a purpose.

Will this usher in an era of organized Jedi Knight team play?

Can I make money betting on swoop races? It's only a matter of time until a swoop mod is made...

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

The question i have about this mode is how many players can you have simulataneously playing and how good will the fps be? Although it looks totally awesome and it might even make me start playing MP. Also, let's say you are playing siege by yourself. WIll the AI be any good at completing objectives and such?

According to the official site, MP will support 16 players either online or via LAN, using 56k modems or faster.

So I guess for Siege Mode that puts a limit of 8v8 for balanced teams.

As for AI controlled bots...I'm certainly hoping that the AI routines have been improved since Jedi Outcast, or it may be difficult to play objective-based maps like those in Siege. Having said that...they managed quite well in Unreal Tournament's Assault mode, so it is certainly possible for bots to tackle intense objective-based scenarios, as long as the right coding is in place.

If the AI is not 'quite right' out of the box, then I'm sure there will be some effort from mod crews to address the issue.

Originally posted by Wilhuf

*hands Stormie a glass of cold Blue Bantha milk*

Siege sounds great. Finally, Jedi combat with a purpose.

Will this usher in an era of organized Jedi Knight team play?

Can I make money betting on swoop races? It's only a matter of time until a swoop mod is made...

*accepts Bantha milk* Thanks mate. ;)

Swoop races you say? Where do I sign up? :D

I hope that the three maps we've seen are not the ONLY Siege maps in JA. Look at the dearth of CTF maps we've gotten over the years. This makes me REALLY hope they went all out in making lots of decent Siege maps.

I also hope that in the community it will be feasible to create our own. I can see so many classic Star Wars scenarios that would be awesome.. the battle over Carkoon (say one team has to try to destroy the main Sail Barge by securing the gun inside to blow it up and then capture the smaller skiff and escape, while the other team tries to prevent it), Endor battle (one team tries to infiltrate and blow up the shield generator, while the other tries to stop them), TPM Palace attack (one team tries to capture the Trade Federation Viceroy, the other tries to protect him), Assault on Theed (one team tries to break into palace and capture Amidala, the other tries to stop them).

Scenarios with bigger amounts of people could also use AI or bots to enhance the experience, and the support vehicles would rock.

I'm so excited about this game mode...! ; )

I was looking again at the screenshots of the "vehicle HUD" in some shots of the speeder bike and I had an idea.

Perhaps the "ammo" (orange) bar for the Swoop doesn't necessarily mean it has weapons systems. Perhaps the "ammo" actually refers to FUEL?

Just an idea.

And that still doesn't answer the question of why there is a "force mana" meter for the bike (blue). I can buy that it has health (red) and shields/armor (green).

Also, that's an interesting idea about the purple shots being DEMP2 shots. In JK2 they were blue, its possible they have been changed to purple.

Or worse.. those could be the new Concussion Rifle shots (hope not!).

Reminds me somewhat of the "Shock Rifle" from UT.

God, I hope the that's not the conc's fire. That'd be terrible.

Are you sure the DEMP2 shot blue? I thought it was a kinda purplish.

Another idea for Siege could be some sort of swoop race. Almost sort of a relay. Two teams start at different points, with something vital at the center, that you can easily pick up from a swoop. (And far enough away to make using a swoop a truly viable option) Then you would have to return to the ship, base, whatever. The other team would try to obviously stop them and pick up the plans themselves.

Originally posted by StormHammer

According to the official site, MP will support 16 players either online or via LAN, using 56k modems or faster.

You certantly wouldn't want to go over even eight or ten players with 56k, but the maximum number of players will be 32 at least, if not hackable to make it 64. I mean, they once said JO only supported eight player MP, that was a load of crap.

Originally posted by $am

Can map makers make siege maps with objectives and stuff?

Well, if they can't then Siege mode will die a very rapid death. There's no point in making the game editable and allowing them to make their own maps if they can't utilise the same functionality that goes into the overall design of the game mode they're modding for. So I'll go out on a limb and say 'YES'. ;)

Neverhoodian...you're probably right in that it is not an accurate reconstruction of Hoth. I mean...there are limits to what they can achieve in the engine. However, if they have managed to incorporate areas that do appear like those in the movie, I think it should be good enough to start with. Mod teams should be able to tweak the map to add any further details, I would imagine.

Obi-Wan X...I agree, there need to be some nice wide open spaces for swoop bikes. It looks like we'll be getting them in SP, judging by some of the screenshots with swoop bikes, but MP is another matter. If the Arioche Terrain system can be utilised in MP, the I don't see much of a problem.

And as far as the 'purple shots' go, there is now another possibility since I watched the second trailer again. The secondary fire for the Imperial Heavy Repeater is definitely a purple blob - but it does travel in an arc, and not a straight line like the shots depicted in the screenshot under scrutiny.

Originally posted by StormHammer

Neverhoodian...you're probably right in that it is not an accurate reconstruction of Hoth.

Yeah, it's not meant to be. I already started on a map that is, though, using official layouts and blueprints. :)

Originally posted by Emon

Siege of course. I have most of the terrain done, it's massive. You're going to need vehicles to get anywhere.

Well, that fits in nicely with the battle sequence in the movie. ;)

And it occurs to me...couldn't you simply swap out the swoop bike models for the Air Speeders instead? That would rock, especially if you could make them 2-man flyers, with a tow-cable, to take down the AT-ATs.

Corto is making and animating an AT-AT, I'm hoping he'll let me use it.

Awesome! I hope so too, because that would be fantastic. Would they actually then function as troop carriers, and if so, how many troops?

I wish I could help out with this in some way...

Archived