Home

Within Temptation.......

Get the album, Mother Earth, NOW!............ if you don't already own it. This is one awesome album by what will hopefully become one of the Netherlands greatest exports.

Just had to break my "no non-adventure game new topic posts in this temporary forum" ruling to promote this album. I only recently discovered them after seeing a part of a concert shown on German TV.

Possible "Album of the Year" for me (although it may have been originally released last year in the Netherlands - anyone confirm?).

Think of a mixture of Celtic, Heavy Metal, Operatic and Orchestral music. The lead singer has an awesome voice (she sounds a bit like Kate Bush on some tracks even. And a bit like Celine Dion too .................................................... just kidding - that was for Pletos pleasure :p ).

And Metallicas new album is utter s***. Biggest disappointment of the year.

That album is indeed already over 1 year old.

And it's not that special imo, I mean, it's good and maybe very good if you're in that kind of music (which I'm not :p )

I saw them on Rock Werchter 2002 (end of june), and I think I already had the album back then. It was a great concert/show, they're very good live. The singer looks pretty, sings not only on the album in tone, and I like the dresses :p .

They used some flamethrowers, and in the end they blew an incredible amount of small pieces of paper in the air. I think it took more or less half an hour before the last one of them got down. Only Rammstein had a more impressive show (not talking about the music) that year (including rockets sent to the mix tower :rock: ).

By the way, those flamethrowers are really in nowadays; Metallica used them too this year. The fireworks exploding on the beat of the music (Bjork, Metallica) were something new, though.

I think I'll buy the new Elbow album "Cast of Thousands" (out now), their debut was very good (melancholic guitar pop) and I heard this one 's even better.

Originally posted by Bird

By the way, those flamethrowers are really in nowadays; Metallica used them too this year. The fireworks exploding on the beat of the music (Bjork, Metallica) were something new, though.

I remember Metallica using exploding fireworks and flamethrowers back during their Loaded tour when I saw them live in Birmingham. That was in 1997. I'm sure they used them before even. I know Pink Floyd did.

As for Within Temptation - I just love the amalgamation of different styles on the Mother Earth album. It's what I'd call "intelligent music" as there is such an array of intruments bombarding the ears at the same time that to really listen deeply to the music is actually quite strenous. I couldn't listen to it if I was tired and enjoy it so much but when I'm alert it seems to take my alertness to an even greater level. It's been a while since a whole album had that effect on me.

I love the Celtic bits, it's like going back to my roots.

;)

I was gonna say. That Mother Earth song has been on my HD for over a year now - I think I deleted it about 2 days ago realising I was never going to use it at the end of one of my movies in the end.

I liked that song, but their others are a bit too gothic for me.

I think I'll stick to John Williams Greatest Movie Scores :p

m0ds

I've checked and the album was definitely only released here in Germany this year which explains why I've only recently discovered them.

It was apparently released in the Netherlands in August 2001. That's quite a gap.

I'd have given album of the year (so far) to Coldplay if only they hadn't released their album last year. :p

I like selective Gothic Rock, so long as the singers don't insisit on growling over every track (which is how Within Temptation apparently started). Paradise Lost's "Draconian Times" is about my limit on that.

Originally posted by Curt

I remember Metallica using exploding fireworks and flamethrowers back during their Loaded tour when I saw them live in Birmingham. That was in 1997. I'm sure they used them before even. I know Pink Floyd did.

As for Within Temptation - I just love the amalgamation of different styles on the Mother Earth album. It's what I'd call "intelligent music" as there is such an array of intruments bombarding the ears at the same time that to really listen deeply to the music is actually quite strenous. I couldn't listen to it if I was tired and enjoy it so much but when I'm alert it seems to take my alertness to an even greater level. It's been a while since a whole album had that effect on me.

I love the Celtic bits, it's like going back to my roots.

;)

Well, I was only talking about my personal experiences at Rock Werchter; it was the first time I saw those flamethrowers there ;) It could be that Metallica already used them there in '99, but I didn't watch that concert. Can't remember why :confused: Maybe because I don't like them that much (especially everything after the black album), or maybe because it was raining or something like that. But this year I had quite a good time during their concert, maybe because I'm getting older and they 're like some relic of a past era :p

As for Within Temptation, I think what you like about their music, is what I dislike about it; a lot of their songs are very bombastic too me. Music doesn't have to be complicated/doesn't need all kinds of exotic arrangements too be good.That's one reason why I like e.g. R.E.M., a lot of their songs are really simple, but very beautiful. (You won't hear me say that complex music can't be beautiful, but playing in a band myself, I experienced the dangers of making complex things; sometimes the feeling in a song gets lost between all the stuff you put in it)

there is such an array of intruments bombarding the ears at the same time that to really listen deeply to the music is actually quite strenous.

OK, this is one of the reasons I like Nick Drake (as well as, well, jazz), so you've convinced me to kazaa them to see if I like. The bombastic brass thing puts me off a little bit. One The Rock soundtrack is enough.

Cool Curt! I think I have the CD for about 2 years I think (Dutch release)... have seen them live several times (last time was at a secret gig in Germany because ME was released around then there ;)).

But cool to read that you like WT... they became populair here I think 1,5 year ago or so... and with the clip it became populair...

But sometimes I wished they weren't that populair because of the sort of ppl it attracts, not only the hardcore fans, but also the screaming 12 year old girls... :p

[edit]They have released a mini CD named "The Dance" and a full CD named "Enter" before "Mother Earth" (in The Netherlands at least)... I like them too, especially "The Other Half (Of Me)" from "The Dance"... :D

O, and off course some singles and 2 DVD's...

I actually have a confession to make - I downloaded three of their songs off the internet using a certain program that I need not mention, which actually went totally against what I believed in. My reason for doing so was that I had seen them on this German program playing live (only a couple of tracks) and really liked them - but I'd never heard of them before, or seen them advertised, and as I liked what I heard I really needed to confirm that it was worth buying an album of a group that I had no idea about and nowadays that option is available, albeit illegally - money is too sparse to waste on cd's that are not worth me buying nowadays.

Suffice to say thanks to that program Within Temptation made another sale. And since buying the CD I've actually read on the BBC site that album sales have actually increased in the last 12 months - some quarters are saying that this is partly due to the file sharing of music broadening peoples choice as many discover new bands/groups/artists this way now.

As a result my views on piracy are still the same but I have now loosened my views on so-called illegal downloading, whereby it is simply as a "discover if it's worth buying" test. So long as I'm not burning the music then it's no different to actually going into a music shop and listening before you buy - just easier.

As a result my views on piracy are still the same but I have now loosened my views on so-called illegal downloading, whereby it is simply as a "discover if it's worth buying" test. So long as I'm not burning the music then it's no different to actually going into a music shop and listening before you buy - just easier.

Pan me if I'm going too off-topic, but what's the difference?

Originally posted by twifkak

Pan me if I'm going too off-topic, but what's the difference?

Hm! The difference is a very fine line indeed and can't be easily explained. It all comes down to individual beliefs I guess.

All I'm saying is my belief in the rights and wrongs of file sharing have broadened a little recently and as a result the artists have benefitted. I know there are multitudes of people out there who completely rip-off the artists by pirating with no intention of ever paying for the product, but I believe there are also a lot of people out there who, like me, use these programs to make sure that what they intend to buy will be value for money. This can work out for the good then as those people who still have a conscience, like I believe I do, will test first and only buy what they see as quality (CD's are still too expensive considering the production costs - why do you think artists like Robbie Williams can get $80million recording contracts?).

Also, for the smaller artists who can't get the media coverage to ignite their popularity, they now have a means for their music to spread. I recently saw an interview with James Hetfield and Kirk Hamnett of Metallica speaking about the whole Napster situation. They seemed a little concerned that their actions, I believe predominantly pursued by Lars Ulrich, alienated some of their older fans as the black market of their music in the early days was what actually spread their popularity as mainstream radio stations would not have played them at the time.

Piracy is wrong as far as I'm concerned - it's theft. But if I completely close my mind to the possibilities that there exists a grey area where some may lose but more may gain then I am no better than the pirates - we're just on opposite sides of extremism.

There will always be those who abuse these programs - but that doesn't mean we all do and that they can't be benificial to the artists.

The thing is, when I dl music, I don't really do it with a try-before-you-buy mindset. I just download songs I've heard about but not yet heard, or songs that I want to hear more often than are played on the radio/TV. Once in a while, I'll hear a song I really like, and it'll inspire me to dl a few more songs, until I've got a whole album, and I realize, "Hey, I might as well buy a CD now." Most of the time, however, I'm left with a whole bunch of "singles" that I'll only listen to in a radio-style playlist.

I have realized, from past experience, that the more I dl, the more I'm likely to happen across something I'll want to buy, but I never specifically dl something with the intention of listening a few times, and then deleting it. Where does that fall?

I have realized, from past experience, that the more I dl, the more I'm likely to happen across something I'll want to buy, but I never specifically dl something with the intention of listening a few times, and then deleting it. Where does that fall?

Who said anything about listening a few times? I'm talking about some music I accidentally came across, liked the couple of tracks that I heard once a lot and, knowing that it isn't the sort of music I am likely to hear on the radio, wanted to investigate whether it was worth me investing in the album. So, I downloaded a couple of test tracks, random tracks from the particular album, liked them too and so decided to buy the cd - this was only after searching their name on the net to find the info on the album, plus reviews. Had I not liked them I wouldn't have bought the cd and the tracks would have been deleted.

So I specifically downloaded a couple of tracks with the intention of finding out if the album would be to my liking. What's hard to figure out about that?

To be honest I use the try-before-buy method too... I download demo's or full MP3 and if I think it is worth the buy I do so... if I don't think it is worth the money I put it away or listen to it once before doing so... I don't think that's a problem myself. Since I'm supporting the performers by buying stuff I find worthwhile!

Who said anything about listening a few times? I'm talking about some music I accidentally came across, liked the couple of tracks that I heard once a lot and, knowing that it isn't the sort of music I am likely to hear on the radio, wanted to investigate whether it was worth me investing in the album. So, I downloaded a couple of test tracks, random tracks from the particular album, liked them too and so decided to buy the cd - this was only after searching their name on the net to find the info on the album, plus reviews. Had I not liked them I wouldn't have bought the cd and the tracks would have been deleted.

So I specifically downloaded a couple of tracks with the intention of finding out if the album would be to my liking. What's hard to figure out about that?

Again, most of the times songs full under the category of "good, but not good enough" where I'll keep the illegal copies to listen to at my leisure. It's hard to justify *those* occurrences as wrong, and not the occurences where I end up buying the CD, because I download them all with the same mindset.

Again, most of the times songs full under the category of "good, but not good enough" where I'll keep the illegal copies to listen to at my leisure. It's hard to justify *those* occurrences as wrong, and not the occurences where I end up buying the CD, because I download them all with the same mindset.

Horses for courses!

(I had to look that one up. :p) I don't see how that applies here. :confused:

"Horses for courses. A course of action or policy that has been modified slightly from the original to allow for altered circumstances."

Normally it is my policy to be totally against file-sharing. However, I would tend to view an album like a pc game whereby the songs on the album could be compared to the chapters of a game. Most games have demos which usually consist of a chapter, as a taster, to tempt you to buy the whole game. The singles could be viewed as the same when they are released for radio play - except in many cases they never actually reach the radio and we don't get to hear of them. I've altered my policy toward file-sharing due to the altered circumstances of me discovering a possible liking for a band via an alternative means but having no other means of testing the level of my aforementioned liking (I couldn't play that albums "chapter" that I had heard as it was a chance sighting on a tv channel).

I've now lost the will to go any further on this one. Hope that explanation will suffice, twifkak. :)

Archived