Home

Help us rebuild

Originally posted by ragou

Now that it seems like you have to start all over with the forums, I would suggest that you consider using phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com/) instead of vbulletin. PhpBB seems to be a great forum system and I really like their slogan: phpBB creating communities.

Man, I was really hesitant at first, but that slogan completely sold me. I mean, what's this sh.tty vBulletin slogan, Community Instantly? Humbug.

There aren't really that many differences at all. phpbb's dev team tried to pretty much duplicate vbulleting. I've run phpbb2 boards before, and it's nice enough but as long as we have a paid license for vbulletin, why throw it away for an almost identical product?

Were the articles saved in MySQL on the server? If so, you could re-think hiding it in MySQL this time around. Perhaps I am bul****ting heavily here - I don't know how MySQL works exactly - but it is my impression that those tables are next to impossible to backup. The endeavor of making a MySQL-free database could require some additional creativity as far as indexing and linking of the articles and images, but at least it would be a breeze to backup.

Could I have a penny for my thoughts? Could I? Just a penny? It doesn't even have to be a shiny one....

Okaaaaaay, Kingz, you seriously need to do some more research into MySQL :)

A program that ships with MySQL, called mysqldump, will dump a whole database into convenient text files that can be easily re-uploaded to a MySQL server if the need should arise. As of last week, MySQL is backed up regularly and automatically by my computer once a week while I sleep.

Originally posted by Marek

We're still missing the Sam & Max 2 preview, along with some updated old articles that I forgot about.

Maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but getting old articles is more important than the newer ones, right? Right?

:p

Archived