Home

Movie industry blames SMS for their bad movies.

Originally posted by DomStLeger

3338822255! A whole new language!

I'm still trying to figure out why the prospect of a new language disappoints you. Is it the fact that you have to learn it? 'Cause I'm pretty sure you've already tackled that part.

Originally posted by twifkak

But I still think it's just a ploy by the cellular companies to hype up SMS, which is sorely underutilized in the US (mostly because the rates are outrageous).

How much does SMS cost in the States? I pay from 0.12 € to 0.17 € per message, and some companies offer special deals where you can, for instance, send unlimited amount of free SMS to five friends of your choice for a flat fee.

[huge ass rant] I have no idea why I would even use text messaging while out on the street or in the cinema. I mean, why the hell would I even want to be messaging anyone after I paid 10 dollars to watch a movie? In fact, I've gone this far in my life without a cell phone. I'm personally proud that I'm too smart to fall for that bullsh!t all these phone companies throw at you, that it's 'fun' to message friends even when they're at the next table, that it's 'cool' to check your messages while driving 65mph on the expressway - it's just another ploy to get you to buy the product. I don't need that extra annoying intrusion on my life.

The last thing I'd want is someone calling me and f@#king up my splendid summer walk in the city, or me leaking my personal life loudly to strangers on a train. I didn't step out of my house on a gorgeous day just to take a phone call. It's simply stupid. I refuse to let a dumb piece of electronic run my life. I've seen grownups on the train I take to work absentmindedly punching the buttons on their cell phones for several minutes. I mean, gawd damn! How long does it take to check your messages, and do you absolutely have to call everyone back at that instant, and talk so loud that half the car can hear the details of your private life? I've even seen people crossing busy streets while checking their messages. WTF! Is your life that worthless to risk sacrificing to a techno-social intrusion, that you can't at least wait until you're safely on the pavement to do this? :confused:

I'll eventually have to get a cell phone, but I'll make it clear to family and friends that their messages will be returned when I get home, not while I'm crossing the street, not while I'm enjoying my train ride, and certainly not while I'm watching a movie after paying good money, no matter how bad it is. Heh heh, I love how the opera does it. You're required to turn your cells off, and if it rings loudly during the performance they kick you out. [/huge ass rant]

Yes, precisely. Those conveniences I understand, and I plan on taking advantage of them when I finally do get a cell phone. However, I bet you've seen, more than a few times, someone on the train on their phones saying, "Yeah, yeah. I got the tickets. I'm on the train right now, just five minutes from your building. I'll call you when I get to your front door. Bye."

WTF, they're calling their dates five minutes after they've just called them?

"It's me. I'm at the front door. You coming down? Oh, Heather's there too? Let me talk to her."

And so they'll prefer to talk to a friend right outside their front door? LOL

I have never seen the point of cell phones.

It is enough to be able to call people when I'm home.

Ok, I can see that it is quite handy if you're in some remote place (mountaineering or something) and if you need to get help it can be vital if you are too far from any other form of phone. But to go around and talk to people on your phone all day round is pretty stupid imo. Especially when somebody talks long to someone on the phone when (s)he has a friend beside him/her that they could talk to instead.

/refuses to use mobiles

Originally posted by Swordmaster

How much does SMS cost in the States? I pay from 0.12 € to 0.17 € per message, and some companies offer special deals where you can, for instance, send unlimited amount of free SMS to five friends of your choice for a flat fee.

SMS costs €0.04 per message here (2c) :D cheapest rate in Europe. So basically I very very rarely use the phone to phone, only unless it's an emergency .. far more cost effective.

Originally posted by Swordmaster

Bleh, I dunno. Look it up. :p

I just thought the fact that there's a per-message charge at all is ridiculous, but I guess that's standard. *sigh* I mean, the amount of data required for a text message is, at the max, the amount of data required to communicate 1/10 of a second of voice.

I find it really boring staring out of the window of the train all the time. I mean, How long can u enjoy the view? half an hour to the most. And if the way is long, I don't see whats wrong in checking the messages or even making some call. Its fun too, u know.

I have to say I don't generally have a problem with people talking on cell phones in public. My reason for that is that usually they're talking about pretty much the same stuff they'd be talking about if they were talking with someone right in front of them, and I don't have a problem with people having conversations in public; hell, a real conversation has twice as many people making twice as much noise. However, it is very true that due to the often poor reception quality of cell phones, people have to talk much louder than usual, which is when it gets really annoying.

Originally posted by Homoludens

I see some guys playing games on their Nokias. That I can understand. The only thing I can't stand is people talking too loud on their phones, discussing very private matters and I don't frickin' wanna hear it!

But really, you are just angry because you can't hear the other side too, right? :smirk2:

texting is great. Its so much cheaper than phone calls and you can get away with saying awkward stuff without having to respond right away :D

the film companies may be moaning about txting killing off crap films, but then on the off-chance that they make a decent film word will spread quicker and it will improve ticket sales.. perhaps texting could bring about the demise of crap films while all the good ones do well .. (like thats ever gonna happen)..

Archived