Home

Videogame Endings

scabb

Obviously, Spoilers aplenty

What are your favourite and most disappointing game "endings"?

My favourite probably has to be Grim Fandango. I like how the game sends you back through Rubacava, then to Nuevo El Marrow, and eventually to the exact spot you started from. The whole Hector killing part was a little unsatisfying, but the final, utterly expected scene was done brilliantly, and everything wrapped up nicely.

The most disappointing ending for me was probably Final Fantasy VII, mainly because I had little idea what the hell was going on. The game didn't wind down properly, it was a simple case of heading straight towards the big bad guy. Then you were "treated" to an apalling cut-scene that made as little sense as possible, and the credits came down. All the other Squaresoft games I've played have had superb endings, though.

It annoys me to see a half-assed ending in games that set out to tell a story in the first place, particularly when said story is quite interesting.

I loved pretty much every cutscene in Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, but the ending was a bit.. well, not really worth the wait. What truly was worth the wait was the ending to Toejam and Earl on the Megadrive. I mean, 23 hard levels finding that goddamn space ship, evading mad dentists and the dreaded present stealing mole, and then finally - FUNKATRON!! It wasn't so much an end credits or a cutscene as a whole new level! You could stroll around your homeplanet following a yellow-brick road, talking to all your alien buddies until meeting the Mermaid chick at the end. What I loved about it was, in most games if there were aliens on earth, and the end was that they got home, you would never in a million years expect to be able to run around the new planet just as a reward! Oh man :D

Most Dissapointing? Heh, four words: Curse of Monkey Island. That game was brilliant, and tricked us all with its amazing cutscenes - amazing, in that it was LeChuck, and Guybrush, and Elaine - in high res!! And they were talking!!! And what with its 5 minute, dialogue-heavy intro and the fact that both predecessors had something of a rewarding ending, I wanted more than LeChuck being squashed, followed by Guybrush and Elaine sailing away into the sunset. I remember hearing originally there would have been a better ending, but it had to be cut for numerous reasons - maybe so. But as it is, CMI has the most dissapointing ending ever. I mean, the game was hard - I worked hard to reach the end. Where's the reward?!? The only redeeming feature is that if you hang around the end credits till the end (with fantastic music, thank God) you get a little bonus. But thats it.

Best is definitely Grim, it rounds things off nicely and it has the wonderfully sad parting of Manny and Glottis.

Worst, well EMI's was pretty poor as was Broken Sword 2's. But generically every arcade port of a game ever. There is nothing worse than completing a game to be faced with crap credits and then a 'game over' screen. I mean you haven't died, you've completed the freaking game so why show a game over screen? Its a crime against gaming.

Best ending for me was Full Throttle... you sort of "play" the ending... I LOVED it!

Worst ending? Well obviously CMI springs to mind (although EMI wasn't much better :)). But the absolute worst ending I have EVER seen was for Final Fight on the Amiga. Two words:

"Well done"

That was it! (Enough to drive anyone completely mad!)

Cannon Fodder 2 wasn't very good either. Bizarrely Cannon Fodder 1 was SO intense, then at the end the programmers told you to '**** OFF'. Interesting, and actually amusing...

~ John

Oh yeah!

Worst Ending: Micheal Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City on SNES.

Took 8 years away from my ****ing life. When I finally beat it:

*A picture of Jordan dribbling a ball*.

CONGADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've reached the end of the game with a scor of XXXXXXXXXXX!

Thank's for playing!

**** YOU! ELECTRONIC ARTS!

"What can change the nature of a man?"

The ending to Planescape Torment is easily the most satisfying I've seen. If you haven't played it, you need to.

By far the worst is Monkey Island 2's sorry excuse for an ending. "It was all just a dream" isn't clever or mysterious, it's just lazy writing.

Metal Gear Solid 2's bugfuck crazy ending deserves an honourable mention, but I'm not sure if it should be for best or worst.

Best, ending, hard to choose really. Whilst MI2 had the surprise ending (although I hated it, you have to love it), the picture of lechuck exploding across a night sky really does it for me. Plus the dialogue option giving rise to the fact that elaine marley might just be married :D.

The worst ending came with the worst game. Magic Carpet 2. You've probably never heard of it, but it's one of bullfrogs lesser known titles. No skill involved and yet it's still impossible to beat, I had to cheat, and really, it's more fun that way as you can become a landscape architecht when you're bored and can't be bothered to try adn kill the thirty five or so wizards trying to kill you with feeble attempts. finaly, i beat the end of level guy (they blooody had half of him buried in the ground and all he really did was chuck fireballs and whirlwinds at you, he was bloody easy to beat). Well, I killed him, a voice came along to say 'well done, you've beat him, I don't care (or something along those lines)' and then, an pretty crappy animation of some guy whose meant to be you, flying away on a magic carpet very unrealistically. Bloody ****e.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

Metal Gear Solid 2's bug**** crazy ending deserves an honourable mention, but I'm not sure if it should be for best or worst.

That ending was just horrorfying! Especally after the ending credits when you find out:

The whole damn thing is a figment of Oticon and Snake's imagination!

Before that game, I never relized that my life good be someone's dream.

Good endings:

Grim Fandango - Great way of wrapping it all up, without giving away what the future may hold for the main characters.

MI2 - Not as simple as it all being "just a dream", as it really hasn't been just a dream as much as a child's imagination, all of which can be traced back to the "real world".

Silent Hill 3 good ending - Ok, so I'm probably the only one who likes it, but it had some decent humor, and seemed to wrap up at least a part of the Silent Hill saga.

Bad endings:

Broken Sword 2 - A two second cut-scene doesn't do the game justice.

Curse of Monkey Island - A two second cut-scene doesn't do the game justice.

You've said all the good endings I can think of but, bad endings:

Space Quest 2: You put yourself in suspended animation in a space ship. Completely pointless

Deathtrap Dungeon: OK, this is from the era when I liked the books but the ending is lame! You defeat the end baddie and it turns out it's just a little goblin inside it. Absolute pants.

Worst ending: "The Dig"

The game was absolutely brilliant, and the athmosphere was perfect. I really felt like being on a distant planet, and I just wanted to get home... I would've liked to see some story elements after their return to earth... it wouldn't have to be interactive adventure sequences, but some more story to close it all. I felt really disappointed, as if they accidently left me there on Cocytus when going back to earth...

Same story with "Outcast":

Again, one of my favourite games of all time, very intense story, which probably would've made a great film (with Bruce Willis as Cutter Slade... but just because in the German version Cutter has the German voice of Bruce Willis, which was VERY VERY cool). But if I remember correctly, it ends on Adelpha, that distant dimension... so no coming home feeling after all of it.

Best ending: "Monkey Island 2"

Definitely MI2 for the best one. (Which automatically gives MI3 the worst beginning of all times... but that's another... uhm... game). I don't really remember how I felt when I saw it for the first time... must've been years ago... but looking back at it now it is still the most original ending to a game that I have ever seen.

Oh, and:

SamNMax: Before that game, I never relized that my life good be someone's dream.

Never seen "The Matrix"?

Originally posted by scabb

Obviously, Spoilers aplenty

The most disappointing ending for me was probably Final Fantasy VII, mainly because I had little idea what the hell was going on. The game didn't wind down properly, it was a simple case of heading straight towards the big bad guy. Then you were "treated" to an apalling cut-scene that made as little sense as possible, and the credits came down. All the other Squaresoft games I've played have had superb endings, though.

It annoys me to see a half-assed ending in games that set out to tell a story in the first place, particularly when said story is quite interesting.

I actually liked Final Fantasy VII's ending compared to the other ones (VIII and IX especially). The cut-scene was vague and mysterious, but it was obvious that the Shinra Corporation had collapsed due to the change in the landscape. I'm against obvious endings where the boy always gets the girl and the puppy licks the face or whatever.

The VII ending seemed as obvious as any, but it was just done so badly and didn't really explain much. And Cid looked like a girl. It was basically "You stopped Meteor from killing everyone! Game Over!". I'll admit that the post-credits bit was a nice touch, though :¬:

The ending to Final Fantasy VIII was done well, I thought. The kickass FMV coupled with a not exactly bad vocal tune was good, but I love the part when the credits roll, the camcorder is switched on, and the excellent "sad credit music" begins to play.

Final Fantasy VIII was a lot better than I was led to believe. I'm playing through IX at the moment, though, and it's not particularly good at all. :¬:

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

IX was a real return to the "old days" of pure fantasy... nothing really technically amazing about it, but a RPG non-the-less.

Well, story-wise it did have some similarities with the older games, but the game itself is completely different. In the older games, you roamed about and found your own way a hell of a lot more, and each successent game seems to have forced you to take a more linear path.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but FFIX is basically "Skip through Dialogue, Walk from location A to location B, Fight a little, Skip through some more dialogue etc". Occasionally it throws you on the world map, but that consists of a patch of grass connecting location A to location B.

I guess that's how an RPG should begin, but I'm halfway through the third disc and I've only just been given the chance to explore, revisit old locations, blah, etc.

Not that it's a bad game.

Ooh, I completely forgot about the ending to discworld noir. Not su much the actual ending, whilst qshort it did manage to wrap things up and so on, but the battle between the big monster thing and lewton. All he did was put a diamond into a swod and shot the thing with a lightning bolt. Then it just vaporised, what the hell was that? I mean think about it, it didn't even need to have that, this is a noir type game, the best ending they could have really donw would have been a really good confrontion with the guy behind all this (which okay, was a god) exposing him to all of this whilst slinging all the clues and proof at him, and then killing him somehow. But if you're going to set it up so you're in some flying machine around a huge tentecal driven demon from the dungeon dimensions and you have to fight it with a sword, at least make it good, otherwise it's just not worth it.

Rest of the game was great though.

Archived