Home

would you spend the dough on a deluxe edition?

FK | unnamed

If it came with something like JK2 and/or bonus discs w/ extra content (maps/skins/behind the scenes footage, etc.)?

Jk2 had a metal box version that came w/ JK1 (and some other stuff) and it was actually pretty sweet.

I own JK2, but being that the game is pretty close to heading into the $9.99 "greatest hits" bin, it might be a good incentive for people new to the franchise to toss jk2 in as well.

Adding actual things people can and would use (like extra game cd’s, bonus discs etc.) is a hell of a lot more of an incentive for me to spend some extra cash than tossing in a license plate frame (I know that is for online pre orders, it was just an example of the things they seem to think people want as extras).

I actually bought the special edition and have no regrets. The one thing that I was disappointed about though that it didn't have MOTS in it. Then my collection will be complete :D What did I pay... $55 or $60. I don't remember. I would definitely slap down another $10 for a deluxe edition! (Hint Hint: Throw in MOTS!)

It really depends ... the AMOUNT of money wouldn't stop me, it is the VALUE.

I had no interest in the JKII collector's - I own the full set already, and didn't want anything else.

I haven't pre-ordered through LA store since I don't care about the license holder.

So .. if there were something of value, I would do it, but what would that be ... ?

Mike

Unreal tournament had a "game of the year" edition a few years back at best buy that came with an extra cd with bonus levels and such.

I've bought other games that came with extra cd's and all kinds of stuff on them from extra game content like add on levels to simple stuff like "making off/behind the scenes" footage.

Even some came with an exclusive strategy guide *not on a cd but in actual book format (seems rare these days).

I've just never understood why "deluxe" editions are usually such utter crap in regards to the stuff they toss in as an incentive to buy it.

Jedi Outcast deluxe was a really sweet buy for those of us who had not bought the previous games in the series.

But the majority of "deluxe" games I've bought were pretty lame and I really think most people could care less about getting "Baulders Gate II beer koozie" for the extra cash they spent.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the old original X-Wing PC game come with some type of exclusive book or something that has only appeared in abridged format since the first game release?

Look at the next Rouge Squadron game on the Game Cube. You pre order or w/e and you get an extra cd w/ an emulator and the old school sw arcade games.

Yeah I know that stuff is easy to download and run on your own, but it’s actually something people would like to have and would use even if just to check it out.

This was the best deluxe edition I've ever bought for any game:

http://www.doom3.dk/?p=article&name=anthology

http://www.doom3.dk/viewpic.asp?url=reviews/anthology_contents.jpg

Those of you who were lucky enough to get this when it was out know what I mean when I say you actually felt like you got way more than what you paid for.

And even the overall production quality of it (“the book of id” detailed the history of these games and had all kinds of never before seen images was the thing that contained all the games) was unlike anything I had seen from a pc game company.

How often do you get a detailed high quality *hard cover book with a game?

Not to mention the insane # of games included in it:

cd 1 'Vintage'

Dangerous Dave

Soldax

Shadow Knights

The Catacomb

Rescue Rover

Rescue Rover 2

Hover Tank 3D

Catacombs 3D

Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams

Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Commander Keen: Aliens ate my Babysitter

Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny

cd 2 'Doom'

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

Master Levels for Doom 2

Final Doom

cd 3 'Quake'

Quake

cd 4 'Mac'

Wolfenstein 3D

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

Final Doom

Then toss in all the tons of other extras and you can see why this thing was without a doubt the best deluxe edition ever released by a software company.

And really the price was no different than what companies charge today for a cardboard box and key chain while calling it "deluxe".

I know the Rebel Strike pre-order gets the original Star Wars arcade game (man the quarters I pumped into that in the early 80's ... ) for GameCube - something like that would be cool ... updated versions of other Star Wars games to work on Win XP ... whatever good stuff they could cram ...

Mike

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the old original X-Wing PC game come with some type of exclusive book or something that has only appeared in abridged format since the first game release?

OMG! :eek: I still have that game! And the book! LOL :p But yeah, the game came with this thick book. As for the deluxe edition, I would also like those behind the scenes and the making of the game. Also the updated games would be great. I can't run Dark Forces anymore so a XP version of all the games would be welcome :)

Originally posted by Gabrobot

I think sound is the only problem with Dark Forces in XP, and VDMSound fixes that.

I couldn't imagine it anymore on a PC ... my MacDF version has enhanced sound and twice the resolution ... and it is still very difficult to see things at times ...

The sad thing is I remember when these games (and even the *original* Castle Wolfenstein - not Wolf 3D) were bright & shiny and new and super high-tech.

I doubt they're doing a deluxe edition ... we'd have heard by now. But I like FK | unnamed's thoughts ... there did use to be occasional 'collector's' packs publishers put out ... LucasArts had a few as well.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

The sad thing is I remember when these games (and even the *original* Castle Wolfenstein - not Wolf 3D) were bright & shiny and new and super high-tech.

I know. I remember when the Vic 20 and Commadore 64 were king. I also remember spending countless quarters playing the vector graphics X-Wing game. How many times do I have to blow up the deathstar? :)

Thinking about those days makes me laugh about the things that people complain about now. Back then you had to use your imagination. :)

Does anyone remember the ORIGINAL THEXDER... Now that was a cool game in its prime. and Then there was Rescue on Fractulus (A LucasArts/LucasFilms game I might add). Aww the memories. And years later, you get Dark Forces which had revolutionary graphics, and then along came Jedi Knight, where one could wield the legendary lightsaber... Flash Forward to 2002.. Then you get Jedi Outcast which its stunning graphics, revamped saber combat system and in-game cutscenes. 19 months later, the game jedi Academy nears release with yet another re-design yet similar saber combat system with new dual sabers and the exar kun/Darth Maul favorite, Saberstaff plus the idea of non-linear gaming and touched up graphics. Amazing what the gaming industry has done, isn't it?

I too would get a deluxe edition if it was worth it, but license plates and key chains just don't interest me - and I already have the previous games in the series.

I would like to see soundtracks included on a separate CD, concept art/screenshots/trailers/screensavers all laid out in an accessible way with some in-depth development history for the game. I'm always interested to see how the final version of a game differs from the early concepts - and it's nice to see developers actually talking about the game from their personal perspectives. So the 'Making of...' documentary deal works for me. I was interested to watch the one that Id did for Doom 3, for example.

It would also be an idea for them to make a novelisation of the illustrated books that came out for the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. Those books were great, and a standard paperback edition included in the box would be beneficial for those who don't know Kyle's background, etc.

Or perhaps, for Jedi Academy, a short novelette (even included on disk) that gives a bit of background story to the character of Jaden Korr.

It just takes a willingness to pull all of that sort of stuff together...

If they are going to do more of this Deluxe Editions, I would like them to provide this to the UK aswell as the USA, although I have every Star Wars game, I still wanted to buy the Jedi Knight II Deluxe edition but was unable to.

I'm gonna get Rouge Sqaudron III however I'm very pissed off I can't get that original Star Wars Arcade game because I live in the UK.

It would be cool however if games became like DVD movies; the game on one disc and a ton of features on the second disk.

Originally posted by The Count

I'm gonna get Rouge Sqaudron III however I'm very pissed off I can't get that original Star Wars Arcade game because I live in the UK.

Yes, that is incredibly annoying. :mad: They should at least try to offer a similar standard throughout their target markets. We like to get special offers here as well, you know...

Originally posted by StormHammer

I would like to see soundtracks included on a separate CD, concept art/screenshots/trailers/screensavers all laid out in an accessible way with some in-depth development history for the game...and it's nice to see developers actually talking about the game from their personal perspectives.

This is exactly the sort of thing that would grab my attention. I really enjoy the "making off" kind of stuff.

I'm always interested to see how the final version of a game differs from the early concepts

This is a good idea too, but they only thing I would worry about is a bunch of people getting up in arms over stuff they took out.

"OMFG!! Lamer Raven took out teh baddazz splittin lightstaff so u could hav 2 saberz! That is hte suxx0rz! JA is gay!!1!" :D

I was interested to watch the one that Id did for Doom 3, for example.

I hadn't seen that. What did they do?

Originally posted by Prime

This is exactly the sort of thing that would grab my attention. I really enjoy the "making off" kind of stuff.

Absolutely agree - that is why I was so enticed by the Dev Diary on GameSpot ... unlike the previews, this gives insight.

Another thing that would be cool would be videos of the team playing Siege - maybe showing half-screen the game, then views of the guys playing ... something cool like that ...

That type of stuff ... definitely worth $30 extra. I still have the Dark Forces strategy guide. Not for the walkthrough, but for all of the insight in the back ... it is really cool, if you haven't seen it ...

Mike

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

Unreal tournament had a "game of the year" edition a few years back at best buy that came with an extra cd with bonus levels and such.

I've bought other games that came with extra cd's and all kinds of stuff on them from extra game content like add on levels to simple stuff like "making off/behind the scenes" footage.

Even some came with an exclusive strategy guide *not on a cd but in actual book format (seems rare these days).

I've just never understood why "deluxe" editions are usually such utter crap in regards to the stuff they toss in as an incentive to buy it.

Jedi Outcast deluxe was a really sweet buy for those of us who had not bought the previous games in the series.

But the majority of "deluxe" games I've bought were pretty lame and I really think most people could care less about getting "Baulders Gate II beer koozie" for the extra cash they spent.

Look at the next Rouge Squadron game on the Game Cube. You pre order or w/e and you get an extra cd w/ an emulator and the old school sw arcade games.

Yeah I know that stuff is easy to download and run on your own, but it’s actually something people would like to have and would use even if just to check it out.

This was the best deluxe edition I've ever bought for any game:

http://www.doom3.dk/?p=article&name=anthology

http://www.doom3.dk/viewpic.asp?url=reviews/anthology_contents.jpg

Those of you who were lucky enough to get this when it was out know what I mean when I say you actually felt like you got way more than what you paid for.

And even the overall production quality of it (“the book of id” detailed the history of these games and had all kinds of never before seen images was the thing that contained all the games) was unlike anything I had seen from a pc game company.

How often do you get a detailed high quality *hard cover book with a game?

Not to mention the insane # of games included in it:

cd 1 'Vintage'

Dangerous Dave

Soldax

Shadow Knights

The Catacomb

Rescue Rover

Rescue Rover 2

Hover Tank 3D

Catacombs 3D

Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams

Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Commander Keen: Aliens ate my Babysitter

Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny

cd 2 'Doom'

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

Master Levels for Doom 2

Final Doom

cd 3 'Quake'

Quake

cd 4 'Mac'

Wolfenstein 3D

Ultimate Doom

Doom 2

Final Doom

Then toss in all the tons of other extras and you can see why this thing was without a doubt the best deluxe edition ever released by a software company.

And really the price was no different than what companies charge today for a cardboard box and key chain while calling it "deluxe".

man i saw that at a store once but i didnt' have enough money to buy it =/ i wish i could find one

Originally posted by txa1265

That type of stuff ... definitely worth $30 extra. I still have the Dark Forces strategy guide. Not for the walkthrough, but for all of the insight in the back ... it is really cool, if you haven't seen it ...

Mike

Sounds cool. I'll have to see if I can track it down. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Originally posted by Prime

Sounds cool. I'll have to see if I can track it down. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Yes ... there's more than 30 pages of 'making of', including a picture of a (very young) Brett Tosti, and also the voice-script for the whole thing ...

I know the Jedi Outcast Strategy guide was just a color walkthrough, basically (unlike Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which had lots of cool references back to the original id Wolf 3D and the Apple ][ Castle Wolfenstein ... my first 'PC' game addiction ... ;)

... but, did the JK guide have anything of interest?

Mike

Originally posted by Kurgan

I got the JK1 guide not for the strategy (I already knew that all and I could use Trail's Guide for free), but for the behind the scenes info.

Lot of good quotes from Justin Chin in there and others.

Thanks ... I may see if I can pick it up on ebay or something ...

Has there been any word on strategy guides for Jedi Academy?

Mike

Archived