Home

To EVERYONE who will play this game...

Dunpeel

My other major concern then would be kick spamming, which is probably an even more serious issue than backstab spamming. Kicks should be risky to attempt, be blockable and be a tactical element to duels, not a source of heavy damage in and of themselves or something that can be spammed with little risk to the kicker.

There's another area where Raven's apparent reponse to the whining is not to remove it, but to add MORE such moves.

Note that there are at least half a dozen kick moves now (so far we only know of ones for the saber staff though... unconfirmed whether normal flip kicks exist for other types).

People who complain about "cheapness" are going to have a lot more to complain about. Hopefully Raven will just ignore these whiners though... and the real gamers will simply learn counters to the moves and play it like a game, not a role playing movie.

Remember that unless you want sabers to be ONLY a one on one dueling weapon, you have to allow for a certain number of "cheap" moves for the sake of usefulness.

and the real gamers will simply learn counters to the moves and play it like a game, not a role playing movie.

So what you are you saying that people who like to role play with JKII and will do the same with JA are not "real" gamers?

LOL, j/k. We don't need another one of those threads...

I think a game as rich as JKII allowed both kinds of gameplay and that was what made it so special. I see no reason why JA cannot be the same.

"Identify, adapt, overcome."

So what you are you saying that people who like to role play with JKII and will do the same with JA are not "real" gamers?

Exactly so. I am saying that Role Players are NOT playing the game as it was designed or intended to be played.

None of the games in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series are RPG's and it's a misuse of the game to consider them to be. It would be different if these folks had created some elaborate RPG mod, but they haven't. They're just pretending as they walk around with their sabers off and chat and use emotes! Play a real RPG (pencil & paper or something like Baldur's Gate II) sometime and you'll see the difference...

Here's an example. Imagine some people bought a Chess Set, then they used the pieces to play "Doll house."

They would make up stories and use the pieces to make believe how the King was having an affair with one of the pawns and the Queen was stealing the Knight's stuff while the Bishops were drinking tea and singing sonnets.

It's the same idea.. because you're taking a game that was clearly designed for one specific purpose, and using it for something completely unrelated. I mean, you're free to do what you want, but it's completely silly, and you can't claim that it was part of the "genius" of the designers of the game to "include this feature" because it's not a feature!

Do people role play that they are monsters and soldiers having a slumber party in Quake 3 Arena?

Just because it's Star Wars people seem to think that its okay to treat it like EverQuest. ; p

Sorry for the rant. I know you were just kidding, but I just had to throw that in there...

Kurgan, I think you are missing the point.

What must be kept in mind is that this is a *Star Wars* game and, even more specifically,

a Star Wars game that focuses on playing a Jedi Knight and no doubt getting in

lightsaber duels. It's not just some random "game", or some generic FPS.

So it should be designed to be as authentic, as much as technology will allow,

to Star Wars as it can.

Just because there are many players that want the lightsaber dueling mechanics

to be accurate, doesn't make us not "real gamers".

And I'm not talking about playing the game like it was an RPG. I'm just talking about

the lightsaber dueling mechanics being authentic. And that's all I'm talking about.

And most of the people I've seen post here on this forum about improvements in

the accuracy of dueling system are strictly talking about authentic fighting

mechanics, not about trying to RPG some character.

It's like when playing MOH or the new Call of Duty game coming out later this year.

If someone would like to see, say, the BAR's bullet dispersion modeled

more accurately, does that mean they are trying to make a WWII FPS into a WWII RPG?

No, it just means they want the darn gun to work more like it really should! :)

This has nothing to do with trying to turn the game into an RPG. And the exact

same thing applies to JA.

I'm certainly not trying to play the JK games like an RPG, but I do expect Raven

to make the lightsaber duels as authentic as they can to Star Wars. That's the whole

point to making a Star Wars game about being a Jedi Knight, to make the battles

(and the mechanics that govern those battles) be like it would really be in Star Wars.

Maybe there are some that don't care if the gameplay in any Star Wars game

ever made is just some arcadey joke, with little resemblance to anything that

actually happens in Star Wars, but there are many others who *do* want the

lightsaber duels to be as authentic as possible. And that is perfectly obtainable

while playing the game in FPS mode, it doesn't have to be an RPG to be *accurate*.

See the difference? :)

How do you know what it's like, JA isn't even out yet?

I certainly hope it's more realistic than random swinging doing you any good.

It has to better than that, even JKII with it's faults had duels where tactics mattered.

Random swinging should just get you killed fast, if you're dueling a skilled opponent.

I hope however, if there is a huge disadvantage between the different saber types (like single not strong enough) or more ppl using the katas instead of swinging, that THEN a patch would be released to fix it...not in the first weeks, but after a month orso...the saber things is IMO a bit of experimenting for raven

bugs should be fixed immediately...I still know a few for JO 1.04

You know, all this stuff about saber accuracy and hit damage and what-have-you is all well and good...but instead of people constantly asking for 'patches' to fix these things the way 'they' want, why can't they simply make a mod?

Oh...hang on...that's what people did with Jedi Outcast. :rolleyes:

Again, it's entirely down to player preference.

I don't think anyone here would disagree with you wanting to play the game the way you like - and if you like more 'realistic' saber combat, and want to turn it into some kind of Jedi simulator...fine, go ahead. You can make a mod with like-minded people and play it to death.

But don't ask the developers to make those kinds of sweeping changes permanent for the majority of players...because you have to remember there are lots of people who want to play the game as it is[/i].

Yeah, but why not make JA accurate "as it is", right out of the box?

Doesn't Raven have the skill to design an authentic lightsaber dueling

system? Why does everything have to be designed for newbs who can't fight their

way out of a paper bag?

Why not just put a *toggle* right in the main game interface for servers who want

to run with low saber damage and stuff like that for newbs, fine by me. But

Raven should respect the wishes of dedicated JK fans who have been buying

and playing these JK games for 6 years now and give them some serious lightsaber

dueling mechanics. Not fake arcade stuff, but the real thing, as best you can

with current technology. And it's not like realistic lightsaber duels

aren't exciting. Just watch Star Wars, that's the canon and gold standard we aspire to.

And those duels are very exciting and dynamic. Just keep it authentic to that

and duels will be fast paced, intense AND true to Star Wars.

If someone doesn't have the skill to play at that level, then either get better

or go play on servers that have that relaxed difficulty setting. But we shouldn't

all be forced to play at the newb level; Raven should supply an expert

realism lightsaber server mode for the many long time fans that have been asking

for it for years now.

I mean, if we can't even count on Lucasarts and Raven who are a making a FPS

specifically about playing a Jedi Knight to *finally* give us an authentic

Star Wars Jedi Knight vs Sith lightsaber dueling system, then what are we

paying them for? They've had *years* to tune, adjust, polish and correct this stuff!

Besides, most experienced players who've played JKII that I've seen want the duels

more authentic, for example, making lightsabers be very deadly when they hit you,

like they were when JKII first came out. There are a ton of established Raven

customers who want this and have been waiting a year and a half for this. Isn't it about

time Raven delivered on this? :)

Archived