Home

Stinger/"Runaway" review/+++++ (nearly)

Hi Evan,

I could hardly agree with you more re your excellent Review.

My only exception is your finding the game short on length ... I did not find it so at all! .

Sure chapters 1 and 5 were pretty short, and chapter 6 was largely composed of cutscenes. But chapter 2 was of 'reasonable' length. Chapters 3 and 4 (which together constitute about 50% to 60% of the whole game) were long, quite ramified, and plenty hard enough for my very medium+ intelligence.

IMHO it would be difficult to find your "average gamer" who would take as little as "13-16 hours to complete Runaway", unless they got some hints along the way! :p

WOW ... it took me twice as long as that just to write a (albeit pretty comprehensive) walkthru!

Best regards ... Len Green.

I definitely think it's rated too high. The only real high spot, IMO, was the graphics. Plot was ok, though a bit too unbelievable in some parts. The game was very short, disappointingly so. I guess I'm not the "average gamer" at this point, but I thought the game was pretty easy (the lack of non-essential interaction multiplied this, I think).

I'd give the game about 3 stars.

I really have no basis to make any judgments on the article whatsoever, since I've not played the game yet (which I guarantee I will do as soon as is possible), but I have to admit I find it slightly hard to believe that this game is really one of the absolute best adventures of all time, especially when you take a look at some of the other 4.5 star games. Again, this is all prejudgment on my part, but from what I've heard from many people and web sources who have played it, it seems like more of a "better-than-average" adventure than anything. I'll give it the full benefit of the doubt, however, when I actually GET a copy. :rolleyes:

i think its about time we stop comparing these new games to old greats..... cause frankly, we arent going to hit that level of marksmanship O.o for awhile, i will agree with the review as a 4.5 great adventure game if not one of the greatest compared to whats out there right now. meaning newer games

I wonder if this is a little bit of the "starved for a quality game" syndrome that seemed to plague TLG reviews when it first came out? Obviously this is just my opinion (er much like a review :¬: ), but while TLJ is a good entertaining game, I don't think it deserved its "timeless classic" status granted by a lot of the initial reviews. While Runaway looks to be a great game (and I of course havent played it yet) it erm doesn't look to be a "top 10 of all time," and I'd wager a small amount* that when Evan redoes his list in a year or two once the shock of actually having a nice looking new adventure to play has worn off, Runaway won't be close to the top 10.

*of now-worthless LucasForums points.

As Einstein proved: "Reviews are relative"

.......... or was that time? :rolleyes:

I'm currently playing the game (I have to play through Chapter 2 now which I've already played before in the "unofficial" demo) and so far it's not bad but certainly not up there with the likes of BS (a game of similar ilk) but all that can change if the game gets better (or worse).

I'm pleased Stinger enjoyed the game as it's always good for the genre when games earn positive reviews. We have to remember that the develpers are always learning and can only hope that subsequent games (sequels) improve on the last and a positive review is something that can be encouraging to them to achieve this, I'm sure.

On a note regarding the story - it at least seems to be original, something many other adventure developers could learn from.

The review is good, but 4.5 is a bit too much for this game. I would give it 3.5. Because I can't understand your emotions about story or puzzles. The story has nothing special - there is really nothing special, it's like a big mix of different plots - running away :) from bandits, tampliers, UFOs, army... It is far from sturdy and interesting plot of Broken Sword, for example. And puzzles: can you give an example of any smart and ORIGINAL puzzle in the game? Most of them are just like coming back to the place where you've been before to find new hotspots. Two puzzles (I mean puzzle in its original meaning) are found in the middle of the game, one by one, but they are as old as the world. Really, I can't say the puzzles are good - sometimes interesting, but usually nothing special. Though the atmosphere in the game is very nice, and of course graphics - wish every feature adventure has alike graphics. Plus great animation.

So, as far as the graphics is concerned, there is no complaining. But the game itself is not original as for the story and puzzles, and it is very short - two evenings is not a time for serious game.

Hope you'll understand that all said above is IMHO and please, nothing personal. :)

I think the fact that it's 2D and looks even better than The Curse of Monkey Island strongly contributed to Evan's score. I think he might have even let himself be guided by the game's "charm" a bit too much. Though I'd probably have given it 4 stars, so we're talking about a small difference of opinion here.

I definitely don't think it's a "top 10 greatest adventure of all time" though, so if Evan chooses to include it in his next top 20 I'd probably write a long rebuttal. ;)

Well aside from a few differences of opinion on quite how good the game is, it seems everyone agrees that it is good and merits at least 3.5 or above; which makes it better than Broken Sword 2 on AGS.com, which is an excellent ag.

Stinger's reviews are always well written, fair and balanced, so I'll definately be buying this game :)

Originally posted by twifkak

Time for a feature... We Already Hate Your Review!

I don't think that they hate the review itself, they just don't think it was good enough to be in the Top 20.

I myself enjoyed Stinger's review even though I will probably not put it in my top 20 (after playing it that is).

Originally posted by remixor

Not to mention, the review IS already completed

But most people here have professed they haven't played the game.

In any case, it was half-sarcasm. I didn't really agree with the We Already Hate Your Game article, myself, but that doesn't keep it from applying to this situation.

Originally posted by Owskie

well, when companies can start producing games better than this... which they havent in a long time. Then we can criticise games like this, but for now...this is all we got :-) enjoy it

fogive my bad spelling

That's definitely not the Evan attitude though, so I'm doubting that sort of look at the situation played into his review much. :)

Archived