Home

Stinger/"Runaway" review/+++++ (nearly)

thanks guys, I did a search and also found it on gamershell.

Playing the demo the music was a little choppy and I'm guessing the voice & full sfx wern't implemented.

Anyone else have choppy music & is the music the same all the way through a scene like in the demo.

Well, I've played it for a little while now, and my impressions are mixed, though mostly positive... I will share and you will love :¬:

Looking at the graphics, which has been one of the game's big selling points... Very good, high resolution, lots of colors and details. Animation is a mixed bag - some great stuff, but annoying talking animations. Example - Brian grabs Gina's hand in a super fluid motion in the hospital, then starts talking in something that looks like a four frame looped animation. Still, most in-game stuff looks great. The backgrounds are mostly somewhere between good and excellent, but seem static at time, and sometimes uninspired. Artistically I don't feel it it quite reaches up to the Broken Sword games or CMI.

Music and sound is great, but doesn't Brian sound like Barney in The Simpsons? :¬:

Gameplay and story - great fun so far, with nice puzzles and all and interesting characters. The kinda soap-opera like storyline and dialogue actually works quite well also.

Overall, I so far find it to be a better game than TLJ and Syberia, both which I felt didn't manage to live up to the hype - this really is the best pure adventure game in the last few years. Top 10 or even 20 material though? I doubt many people will agree with that.

I finished Runaway yesterday, and I'll have to agree that I think that the rating of 4.5 stars is a tad to high. Yes, the game is very enjoyable and has many fun puzzles, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the storyline of the game. Also, I think it's a tad too short. In general, I think the game lacks the "finishing touch" that would make this a true classic like TLJ or Broken Sword.

It's a very good game, although I wouldn't place it in the Top20. I would probably rate it 3.5 or 4 stars.

I dont' even think I care to play this game now that they have so promptly announced a Runaway 2. Kind of strikes me as a bit pompous to do that.

"Pompous"... why/how ?? :rolleyes:

"Runaway: A road adventure" was released in Europe almost 2 years ago and has been apparently very successful!

In comparison :-

Syberia-1 was released about one year ago, and Syberia-2 was announced some time ago.

Law & Order-1 was released under a year ago and Law & Order-2 was also announced 2 months ago or more.

Are they also "Pompous" ???

I don't think people should judge a game before they play it. It's like judging a book by its front cover. It cannot be done. With all due respect, such comments really devalue morale of keen adventure gamers, beginners and intermediets alike, and also go as a backslash to those very people that made the game. Comparisons are also irrelevant at this stage because no two games will be alike, and the golden era of classic adventures and point and click dominance is long over. And even if you do want to make a comment without playing it, at least have curtosy of being consistent with your comments instead of just mixing good and bad points all over the place, people who are relying on such comments to purchase the game get confused and you are simply making things harder for them. Saying this, I have a small request. could people that played it and finished it (and fully experienced its true majesty), please write a few points on the overall game (in good-bad point form)

Thanx,

Foreigner

Originally posted by Marek

I definitely don't think it's a "top 10 greatest adventure of all time" though, so if Evan chooses to include it in his next top 20 I'd probably write a long rebuttal. ;)

He-he.

He-he.

You said 'butt'.

Originally posted by Da_Foreigner

I don't think people should judge a game before they play it. It's like judging a book by its front cover. It cannot be done. With all due respect, such comments really devalue morale of keen adventure gamers bla bla bla blah....

I detested every minute of The Magic Mountain. By looking at the front page, I figured it was something altogether different from what it in fact was; I judged the book as 'enjoyable' before I actually started reading it. So, it can in fact be done; there is no natural law that declares one cannot judge a book by its cover.

Two quickies about this game:

1. Just the sheer amount of *stupid* pixel hunting alone in this game would make me knock a star off the review. Pendulo did not make every effort to make this game easy and not frustrating with the amount of pixel hunting there is.

2. Some of the puzzles in this game are absolutely terrible in "making sense". I am completely able to put in the requisite suspension of disbelief in playing an adventure game, but sometimes Runaway has pushed me to the limits.

Teensy tiny puzzle/story spoiler:

One other independent thing that really bugged me early on was having to go back into the bathroom in the beginning to get the whole assassination thing going. Along with how positively ridiculous it was that the guy shot the fake Gina despite the different colored hair and was completely satisfied with the job he did after noticing that she didn't bleed after being shot. :p

Originally posted by Kingzjester

I detested every minute of The Magic Mountain. By looking at the front page, I figured it was something altogether different from what it in fact was; I judged the book as 'enjoyable' before I actually started reading it. So, it can in fact be done; there is no natural law that declares one cannot judge a book by its cover.

All this book juding! Why not just cut to the chase and burn them! To protect our freedom everyone, obviously...

Oh and er on topic: Runaway 2, why not.

Originally posted by Kei

Two quickies about this game:

1. Just the sheer amount of *stupid* pixel hunting alone in this game would make me knock a star off the review. Pendulo did not make every effort to make this game easy and not frustrating with the amount of pixel hunting there is.

2. Some of the puzzles in this game are absolutely terrible in "making sense". I am completely able to put in the requisite suspension of disbelief in playing an adventure game, but sometimes Runaway has pushed me to the limits.

Teensy tiny puzzle/story spoiler:

One other independent thing that really bugged me early on was having to go back into the bathroom in the beginning to get the whole assassination thing going. Along with how positively ridiculous it was that the guy shot the fake Gina despite the different colored hair and was completely satisfied with the job he did after noticing that she didn't bleed after being shot. :p

1. I have had no problem with finding any items i need. With my history in playing adventure games this was fairly simple

2.I am just on chapter 4, and i have found no puzzles to be way far fetched and i always knew what to do.

3. Your forgetting the thugs are as dumb as rocks, which the story explains. Just cause your smart and know the difference :-P

Archived