Home

Am I the only one....... ("expansion" vs. "true sequel")

rut-wa jodar

In order to use "new" graphics, Raven would probably have to use a whole new engine. And take your pick there is Doom 3 which from what I hear, only allows 4 people for MP (hell of a lot of fun in THAT!) or Unreal in which they would kind of be like experimenting with it to see what they can do like with Outcast and hope that the new features go over well. So I'd say give them a chance with Jedi Academy as a standalone game and then see what happens.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, like ASk was saying on the live chat, if they used a game engine from like Far Cry, that would be good, course at the time I had no prior knowledge of the particular engine but after viewing some articles and seeing a game trailer, i would agree, but I'd gladly play JA on an engine that Raven is very familiar with vs. them trying a new engine that they had no prior experience with hence not being able to put forth their full potential into the game they'd want.

The Doom 3 engine is capable of having more than 4 players in multiplayer. Id felt that the style of gameplay in Doom 3 fit 4 players better than, say, 16...16 players jumping around a small test facility isn't particularly creepy. :p

People will be able to edit the scripts or something in Doom 3, when it comes out, to allow more people to play...I think I read that in this interview, but the site isn't loading now, so I'm not sure.

How many people consider Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to be an expansion pack to Grand Theft Auto 3? The graphics aren't a revolutionary change, but the game is different...just like Jedi Academy.

[Edit: Here's the quote:

The player limit is fully scalable. We picked four for a number of reasons but those can be scaled up.

]

In an interview with Raven from PC Gamer UK's JA preview Raven actually said that they now know much more about the Quake engine than when they made JO. This enabled them to make enemies such as the Rancor and other more complicated fun stuff.

Sithxace, you said that you wanted a totally new graphics engine. But if Raven started off with a new engine, you wouldn't be fighting enemies like the rancor.

JA is a sequel. NOT an expansion. We get so much more variety in JA than we ever will in JO.

Medal of Honor, Spearhead was an expansion. There is next to nothing new in that expansion, with the exception of a few new levels. Thats why JA is a sequel. Because it has so much more to offer.;)

While I can confirm that it is the same engine, it is at the same time very much re-coded and many other smaller engines has been added to improve stuff in the main JK2 engine.

-Enemies hit the walls if you kill them near one

-Stances are actually refreshed, not exactly the same as before

-New acrobatic tricks - I can promise you, when you reach the highest jump level you can get in game, you will see how much I enjoy jumping and walking upwards on walls.

I won't reveal anything more, but I am sure all this that I saw in game could not be added in just an expansion.

I do hope they make an expansion for Jedi Academy though, seeing as the two different (dark and light path, it is not a spoiler - it is official information, I knew about that before trailers were even out, so no blaming me for spoiling here, it is common knowledge!) ends tend to make one believe so.

:fett:

:jawa

:c3po:

EDIT: They doubled the polycount on many places, atleast some guns ;)

Originally posted by Master William

While I can confirm that it is the same engine, it is at the same time very much re-coded and many other smaller engines has been added to improve stuff in the main JK2 engine.

I won't reveal anything more,

Master William ... appreciate we do, you confidence ... but revealed too much, I think you have ...

:yoda:

Mike

Pissed I am not, just telling the truth I am!

I was just pissed that minute :p

Anyway, it's not like I am wrong, haven't you seen stuff like

''UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004! The new features in this great first person shooter is:

- Vehicles as cars and futuristic planes can now be used!

- New weapons!''

You know what I'm talking about, right? :confused:

Originally posted by Nobel Jedi

well, maybe he doesn't and he just got the ILLIGAL BETA version

lol.

Its good that Master William didn't reveal too much about the game, but just be careful. You probably dont want Activisions laywers or whatever. If it is the illegal beta i would edit and change those posts now.

Not that I would know. I dont know anyone who has or has had the illegal beta. I only heard about it a few weeks ago, and I'm gonna wait for the full game instead of wrecking the experience.:)

Even if it is from your friends magazine, I would do the same.

ANYWAY, back to the topic of this thread. JA is definatley a full game. Look at all the millions of sims games. Those are expansions. You pay £20 (I dont know how much dollars) for a new object of furniture. Expansions never really offer much new, but JA does. So JA isn't an expansion.

there are expansions and EXPANSIONS though.... remember the old quake expansions that used to be 10 new levels, 2 new enemies and 2 new weapons (huh raven?) ... but then expansions like MotS came out and had 20 odd new levels, new engine enhancements, 4 or 5 new weapons, useable turrets, 5 or 6 new force powers, 15 or so new enemies, new multiplayer modes and so on. Compared to that (and expansions like the Morrowind Ones) JA looks much more like an expansion pack.

However i think it is actually more of a refinement... what they wanted JO to be but didn't have time for. JO v1.5.

Of course, it would be so much easier to answer these questions if i downloaded the beta.... right, lets see.... ;)

but its not an expansion since there is a whole new storyline. The only reference to Kyle Katarn is teh fact that he is in it as a jedi instructor. Other than that, its a whole new game. A heavily modified Q3 TA engine, new ICARUS Scripting, new GHOUL2 Collision, new feature for non-linear play. New MP game modes, new enemies, and some old ones, "HEY YOU THERE!" (sorry, had to do that), and new revamped saber combat system with new animations, redone moves new sabers (dual saber and saberstaff for SP) and the scripting which allows MP to mimic SP for those doing heavy modding for the game like Attack of the Clones TC and the Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 Enhanced mods.

Compare the facts that Jedi Outcast had like 6 locations and 20-some missions whereas Jedi Academy has nearly 20 locations and 20-some missions. plus the official website lists it as a sequel although its not a TRUE sequel since it doesn't follow Kyle Katarn like the past 3 games did, not including mysteries of the sith since that was an expasion to JK.

Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

And how do you have 1.0 when the game isn't to be released untill two weeks and a day from now? =p

Haven't you got your scorecard straight?!? ;)

He got his illegal copy from a friend at a magazine, who wouldn't tell him what magazine ...

And now he's been going around bragging about having it and played it, posting hints or direct spoilers.

Mike

Mike, stop being so ignorant... I didn't spoil anything, what I have said so far can be found anywhere on the net, the dark and light path for an example were already known by alot of people.

I guess you just like insulting people, so who cares?

I wanted to say that it IS 1.0, since it went Gold a while ago, and that means that it goes 1.0 (I think so atleast) and the .txt file I found says 1.0

even the console shows 1.0

Anyway, Mike, I hope you can stop being such a jerk :(

What, did I reveal the name of the boss or something? I remember someone else doing that, not me :cool:

Originally posted by Master William

Mike, stop being so ignorant... I didn't spoil anything, what I have said so far can be found anywhere on the net, the dark and light path for an example were already known by alot of people.

I guess you just like insulting people, so who cares?

Anyway, Mike, I hope you can stop being such a jerk :(

Actually, I'm pretty sure I have not insulted you or been a jerk. I did get very upset with you once.

In the 'which side of the force' thread, you post some specific information about the way in which dark or light side happens.

In other threads you have made authoritative statements about actual game contents. You might have helpful intent, but as the game is not out, many of us actually like to speculate and postulate in the dark.

In that way you have insulted all of us.

All I have ever really asked of people who - by whatever means - have the game before it is released, is that you use spoiler tags very liberally when in doubt.

Mike

Archived