Home

So you want to join Adventure Gamers?

Yes, that's right, soon a few lucky souls will have the chance to realize the dream of multiple tens: to be a part of Adventure Gamers!

We're looking to hire a few good gamers to contribute to our site in multiple ways. If you believe you have something to offer to our site in any way, we want to hear from you! Please e-mail us to express interest, and let us know how you want to contribute.

There's no real limit to what we're looking for. But here are some qualifications that would jump you up to the top of the list!

- A public relations person who will publicize our site and our articles to other websites, including game companies. This person must be highly organized and a very effective communicator.

- A writer with a sincere interest in the interactive fiction community, and a fairly comprehensive knowledge of text adventures.

- A writer who has a lot of experience with (and a lot of love for) the classic Quest series of Sierra On-Line.

So what are you waiting for? We are looking for quality writers above all, so if your e-mail is littered with poor grammar and/or spelling, don't expect to hear from us again. After a couple weeks, we will be sending an e-mail to everyone who has shown interest with specific application instructions. Please note that all positions are volunteer positions, and unpaid. E-mail us today, and you may be the next great addition to our staff!

I can write fairly well, Evan, and I have a different opinion from you ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME (disregarding the negligible error). My opinion is always correct though - by the very virtue of me always having the correct opinion - so I am naturally the choice, prime-cut, cordon bleu person for the new position.

Do I get the job? Am I at least banned from the forum?

Well, it's very easy, Marek. When he hands you his new article/editorial/review, you simply run a little script on it that changes every instance of "Nabokov" with "Al Lowe," and every instance of "death to the infadel" with "happy bouncy bunny land."

I'd gladly volunteer my services for the purpose of writing the script. :p

Originally posted by twifkak

I'd gladly volunteer my services for the purpose of writing the script. :p

I'll do it myself. I am a bit distraught by the lack of trust you people have in me. I discus how communist Jesus was only when it is relevant to the topic at hand....

However I might mention Hegel out of context from time to time.

Wankers....

Relevance is a bit ambiguous at face value.

Tru dat.

Originally posted by deadworm222

Not me: I haven't been able to do that in years.

Ah, so that is what 'Dead-worm' stands for! Now I get it. Dude, listen, I get this spam mail thing from this guy who seems to promise help in those... erm... 'areas'. Maybe I should set the filter to authomatically forward those letters to you?

Originally posted by Kingzjester

I plead the language barrier. Shít, you let Pleto and Evan (note the peculiar spelling of 'everyone' in the 'Bottom-line' blurb) get away with it, why can't I?

Because you don't let pleto and others get away wìth it. I play a very adaptable game. Medicine with the who-what-now and all.

Sincerely,

The Village Enhumbler

Because you don't let pleto and others get away wìth it. I play a very adaptable game. Medicine with the who-what-now and all.

Sincerely,

The Village Enhumbler

You know, I've valiantly been controlling myself, trying to ignore both Evan's and Pleto's excursions into misspelling or incoherence - as the case may be. I really seldom correct anyone unless we're in the middle of a discussion and the other person doesn't know how to employ words so as not to contradict him or herself.

In this case, I was being attacked - however lightly - for a spelling error. I don't tolerate spelling errors when I make them. They annoy me more than they can possibly annoy others. Just leave me alone. Other people err too.

*puts down his flaming pitchfork*

Just try to be nicer when you point it out to people. On this note in general, I often wonder whether I should point out incorrect spelling or grammar, whether I should do it in public or private, or whatnot. Since a number of people have a "first language" other than English, I wouldn't know if that kind of thing would be considered offensive, or helpful for those trying to learn. Can I even generalize like that?

To all, then: Raise your hand if you want me to PM you with random spelling/grammar tidbits.

Personally, I think it's rather plebeian to correct someone’s grammar. It’s more like a public announcement that you are learned and superior and they are not. Quite the difference between constructive criticisms which a published article might elicit, rather than a forum comment - which is similar to a verbal remark. No one likes the person who, in the midst of your statement, will interrupt and state "That's Jerry and I, not me and Jerry", and elucidate the finer points of grammatical formulae.

Originally posted by Kingzjester

Ah, so that is what 'Dead-worm' stands for! Now I get it. Dude, listen, I get this spam mail thing from this guy who seems to promise help in those... erm... 'areas'. Maybe I should set the filter to authomatically forward those letters to you?

Tried it already. Didn't work: My breasts didn't get any bigger.

Originally posted by Novel_T

Personally, I think it's rather plebeian to correct someone’s grammar. It’s more like a public announcement that you are learned and superior and they are not. Quite the difference between constructive criticisms which a published article might elicit, rather than a forum comment - which is similar to a verbal remark. No one likes the person who, in the midst of your statement, will interrupt and state "That's Jerry and I, not me and Jerry", and elucidate the finer points of grammatical formulae.

I think it's essential to correct peoples' mistakes, because if you don't no one else will. I don't think it's meant as a statement that someone is better than someone else. On the contrary, it's just helping people improve their language skills, which is especially useful when the language isn't your first. I unashamedly correct people; but it's not through conceit; I'm only literate in one language while most people here are literate in two or more so it's already extremely impressive how coherent and comprehensible people are. So pointing out peoples mistakes isn't intended as an insult but help in keeping them good or improving them further; and that imo is good for everyone because it becomes easier to express ideas clearly and communicate without a debilitating language barrier

(sorry it's not on topic; just explaining the other point of view).

Archived